Door Latch (not the lock) won't work

Tkg2000

New LVC Member
Reaction score
It seems like I have been gone forever. Sorry. (I even had to re-register)

I have a peculiar issue keeping my son out of the red MK.
The door latches (both of them) will not work. They pull with ease (maybe too easy) but do nothing. Anybody heard of this? Can you point me to a tech thread that addresses it?

Many thanks in advance!

It seems like I have been gone forever. Sorry. (I even had to re-register)

I have a peculiar issue keeping my son out of the red MK.
The door latches (both of them) will not work. They pull with ease (maybe too easy) but do nothing. Anybody heard of this? Can you point me to a tech thread that addresses it?

Many thanks in advance!

Are you in Smithsburg, MD?

Neither of the doors open? Have you run the door locks up and down? If one door handle did not work, I would believe that the linkage might have been compromised, but the fact that both are an issue makes me wonder. When was the last time that you were able to get into the vehicle, and has anything been done since then?

Correct!

Are you in Smithsburg, MD?

Neither of the doors open? Have you run the door locks up and down? If one door handle did not work, I would believe that the linkage might have been compromised, but the fact that both are an issue makes me wonder. When was the last time that you were able to get into the vehicle, and has anything been done since then?

Yes, Smithsburg, MD.

No, neither door will open. Both door locks run up and down many times both with the key and the door code which still works. Exactly!, on the 2 vs. 1. I made that same point to my son a couple of days ago. "In and out" was okay just last week and nothing has been done between last good "in & out" and "lock out"

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, Smithsburg, MD.

No, neither door will open. Both door locks run up and down many times both with the key and the door code which still works. Exactly!, on the 2 vs. 1. I made that same point to my son a couple of days ago. "In and out" was okay just last week and nothing has been done between last good "in & out" and "lock out"

Thanks!

Hmmm, I am just down the road in Myersville. I might be able to give you a hand at some point.

Happened to me, too, right door. What you do is glop lithium grease on that star looking thing that you see when you open the door, open and close the door several times, and it's all over. Well, first you may have to reposition the star thing with a screwdriver. Not a big deal, you can do this yourself easily.

Hugely Delayed Reaction-IT issues-sorry! Doors Fixed!

Hmmm, I am just down the road in Myersville. I might be able to give you a hand at some point.

Thanks Josh!

I really did try to post an update after this thing was resolved but I encountered some IT problems and then never got back to it.

Turns out having my own eyes on the problem revealed a very different story than I was being told and different answers to the same questions.

Both handles had apparently been frozen (layer of ice) and then forced when they would not work. The inner 'arm' that connects to the operating linkage on both doors was broken off. :shifty: . . . That will do it just about every time. . . :mad:

So, I replaced both door handles and voila they both work fine now that no ice prevents their designed travel.

Thanks to everyone offered advice and tried to help me figure this one out. I guess we were all a bit like the three blind men feeling different parts of an elephant and each claiming it was a very different creature.

Members online

No members online now.
Back