Door Hold-Opens questions and your experiences solicited

cammerfe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I discovered this past week that the bracket at the end of the 'hold-open', fastened to the jamb by a pair of small bolts, has one cracked ear. Probably the other ear will break within the near future.

Here is my question. I have a complete set of extra doors; stored away in the back of my rented space. So I have access to a replacement part. but the attachment in the door itself is down in a sort of well in the leading edge of the door and I foresee it being a PITA to deal with due to the limited space when the door is on its hinges.

Might it make better sense to cut the head off the pivot rivet and thereby get rid of the broken bracket and then do likewise with the replacement part---and fasten the pieces back together with an appropriate bolt and nut? An air-powered 'whizzer wheel' will make short work of the removal. I have one that's smaller even than my Dremel tool.

Suggestions and comments regarding your experiences please. THANX!!!

KS

I just replaced this for the driver door on my LS. I'm assuming the bracket that attaches to the door jam broke. This was the case with my car and I was thinking I could pull the pin from the broken bracket, replace the bracket on the door jam, replace the pin and be done. The idea was to leave the rest of the assembly inside the door intact and just replace the door jam bracket. There were two problems I ran into: 1) Couldn't get the pin out , 2) My Door Check broke at the 1/2 way detent and I couldn't pull it out to fully extend to get it into place to pin it to the bracket. (It's harder than it looks, give it a try!)

In the end I pulled the door panel off and replaced the entire part through the door. Really wasn't that hard and only took about 15 minutes

Members online

No members online now.
Back