Door Handle (revisited)

olddavid

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I never appreciated the subtleties of this repair. I have read Lincolns of Distinction and LOnLine as well as several descriptions here, but damned if I can see how to release the handle rod without breaking the plastic? Is it better to attempt to release it down by the door catch, pull it up - then get it to release? I am going back out to work on the headlights and do something I know I am able to complete. My new headlight - to me, anyway, blinks on and off, then steadies after a few minutes. I am guessing a ballast ground. Any tips on the door handle will be much appreciated.

I've removed my door handles probably 5x in the 9 months I've owned the car. Trying to repair a broken driver side to eventually switching the them to chrome Conti handles and again to replace the rod itself because I used the longer Conti rods which didn't catch and I couldn't open the doors.

Anyway, the way I did it was un-clip it from the bottom and pull the entire thing out. I'm not sure any other way to do it, so I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

If you reach in and touch the clip, run your finger to the back side of it and pull towards the front of the car. As long as you pull the direction it's suppose to go, I don't think it will break. Like I said, multiple removals and mine are fine. I only broke one, and it was on the parts car I got, and that broke because I didn't know which direction to pull it and I ended up snapping it in half.

jbel- you make perfect sense. But, like almost everything I've done on this car, I had to find my own details once the basics are provided by all of you guys. On mine, I finally decided to loosen the catch completely, and then after releasing the rod on the keylock, I removed the C that held it in place, and pull it the 11/2 inches it would come out. That provided enough leeway to remove the side with the counterweight (left), which allowed me the space to turn the handle to allow for the kink in the handle rod. I am not sure it will be as smooth going back in, but I am optimistic. Hey, what should we expect from a 16 year old car? My neighbor has a 2005 Porsche with 55000 miles. He had the 75k service and the clutch replaced. For $23,972. I am sure there are details he hasn't shared yet, but he was driving an A7 for almost two months. I think he's still shell-shocked by the bill. I'll take my cash and carry V8 with torque converter any day. Hell, I wouldn't spend $23k on a new car, let alone a repair. I'm too old and too cheap. And spoiled by my car when everything works right :) ps- Your car is spotless. That clean look is what I'm going for.

Members online

Back