Door Handle removal

Genevieve

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Now, before I get the "use the search function new girl" lecture.. I have been reading through all the threads I could find on this particular subject, Ive spent the last hour clicking through threads, and scouring the internet for a solution to my current issue. .. There really should be a decent write up on this, with proper pictures for all us "door handle replacement first timers". ..

I have a 98 mark viii lsc, got it a few weeks ago, and a week or so later the door handle broke on the drivers side, after reading up on it, this seems to be quite the issue for these door handles, and I no longer expect that this is going to be the only time that I will be replacing this handle..

so finally got the new handle... took the door panel off, easy peasy, undid the 3 bolts holding the handle in, unclipped the yellow plastic clip thing..cake walk...... and now I am stuck here..

newdoorclip.jpg

obviously the door handle won't come out without this little bit being detached.. and you think it looks pretty straight forward, just a plastic clip, should be able to bend those things down a little and slide that thing out.. but I have been trying FOR-EVER and I just cant get that little a-hole apart... There has to be something absolutely ridiculous that I am missing here...

Remove the c shaped metal clip located on the right side of your picture. This will allow you to move the white plastic clip

Hahaha.. Oh my goodness ... Well that certainly made me feel absurd... I didt even see that clip until I took the picture.. Thank you! It came right out .

"use the search function new girl"

That is the .org mantra.

We don't say that here.

haha, oh good, I've belonged to enough forums to know how to properly utilize them, search functions and all lol.

Door is all back together and everything works properly, finally able to use the driver door from the outside again, haha

on my 93 theres a plastic clip on the bottom of that rod open it up and the rod comes out with the door handle

Taking a wild guess Genny.............

You live in Oxnard ??

Ren

Oh I remember the door handle change...I was doing it inside the Home Depot parking lot...Managed to get locked out with keys inside, and key pad thingy dangling inside a door that I was trying to take apart...

Yes that clip has to come out, and be careful not to drop it inside the door...at which point you will probably never recover it.

I actually looked and found a used handle in my color, ivory. You can imagine how fun that was.
And all the time, 3 weeks as the handle was broken, I kept wondering...what would happen if the other side broke as well? Should I remove the door now and drive with gaf tape covering the opening... or should I keep the sunroof open at all times... remove back seat for easy entry... Luckily I never found out. But what I did find out is how much of an ass it is to change the damn thing, although if I had to do it again, Id probably get it done in under 20 minutes, with the help from a trusted friend, Johny Walker!!!

Oh I remember the door handle change...I was doing it inside the Home Depot parking lot...Managed to get locked out with keys inside, and key pad thingy dangling inside a door that I was trying to take apart...

Yes that clip has to come out, and be careful not to drop it inside the door...at which point you will probably never recover it.

The clip flew off and I thought " well that sucks, never gonna find that"

Then I saw it just sitting there on top of that little thing in the bottom of the door, SO LUCKY haha

I was actually wondering how long it will be before the passenger side breaks, probably not long, and this handle came off a 94, so chances are its not gonna last much longer either, Eventually we are all going to diminish the supply of Mark VIII & compatible handles... then what are we gonna do? lol

The clip flew off and I thought " well that sucks, never gonna find that"

Then I saw it just sitting there on top of that little thing in the bottom of the door, SO LUCKY haha

I was actually wondering how long it will be before the passenger side breaks, probably not long, and this handle came off a 94, so chances are its not gonna last much longer either, Eventually we are all going to diminish the supply of Mark VIII & compatible handles... then what are we gonna do? lol

Make them like the gen 1 key badge on the trunk lid & headlamp housings!

Make them like the gen 1 key badge on the trunk lid & headlamp housings!

Who makes new headlights housings? I've yet to hear anything about this or see anyone selling them (anymore) I know Ford used to several years ago and same goes for the truck lock cover I've never seen new ones being made, just the little inserts that are glued in...am I missing something here??

And those handles are still pretty plentiful they had them on both generation mark viiis and contenintals...

Who makes new headlights housings? I've yet to hear anything about this or see anyone selling them (anymore) I know Ford used to several years ago and same goes for the truck lock cover I've never seen new ones being made, just the little inserts that are glued in...am I missing something here??

And those handles are still pretty plentiful they had them on both generation mark viiis and contenintals...

Talk to Jamie (BAD97LSC); I believe he does both. They're not new, but they sure look BETTER than new when he is done with them!

Yes, the little red insert falls out of most Gen1's trunk lock covers.

BTW, some of the Continentals have chrome handles which are kind of kewl.

Now I am having an issue with the door lock, if I use the keypad, or the keyfob, its fine, but if I use the key in the door the alarm goes off when I open the door.

Members online

No members online now.
Back