Dont Try It

my1stmarkVII

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just got done at the tire shop, 1 month in the working. I got ultra rims series 56 six shooters. I put 215 60r16 on the front and 235 60r16 on the back. Looks sharp except the back tires rub on rough roads. Gonna have to go with smaller tires on back.

new rims.jpg

~Do~ try this!

my1stmarkVII said:
Just got done at the tire shop, 1 month in the working. I got ultra rims series 56 six shooters. I put 215 60r16 on the front and 235 60r16 on the back. Looks sharp except the back tires rub on rough roads. Gonna have to go with smaller tires on back.
Rear

Front

Are you sure that 70's will work on 16 inch rims. I think they would be to tall. Anyway I went with the 215 60R16 all ar :Beer ound on 16 in rims.

my1stmarkVII said:
Are you sure that 70's will work on 16 inch rims. I think they would be to tall. Anyway I went with the 215 60R16 all ar :Beer ound on 16 in rims.
Here she is with 225/70R16's in the rear and stock P225/60R16 BSW Goodyear Eagle GT +'s in the front. Click to enlarge and I do mean enlarge!

The tires rub because those wheels have the wrong offset and stick out too much. I had 255/50/16s out back on my car and had no problems at all.

NYC LSC said:
The tires rub because those wheels have the wrong offset and stick out too much. I had 255/50/16s out back on my car and had no problems at all.
The 70's pictured above are the same one's that OldSchool2 had on when we were at Atco November of 2004. In the rear, I've never experienced rub. In the front, the 70's will rub on full left and right turns.

Tommy. I halfway disagree with you :N

Pb261152.jpg

NYC LSC said:
That's why I had 245-50s up front :N
Duh me!
I started with the 225/70R16's all the way around for the cosmetics. When I found my $200.00 tires rubbing in the front, I garaged them and put soft stock rubber on there. I'm a sucker for the 88-89 stock turbine wheels else I'd have the moons like Big Ant or LSCPrincess.

Now I have two for the track and two for everyday use. Needless to say that the track tires are almost slicks today :)

When the fatties die (like soon), I will definately look into low rise and soft rubber for the rear. Drag radials are NOT out of the question.

I've always had 245/45-16s on my '89, all around. No problems ever! I've always had Goodyears, but they're not making that size anymore. So now it's gotta be Summitomo, Yokohama, Kumito or Fusion. So much for buying American.

Frogman said:
I have always liked this little java applet when it comes to calculating tire height, etc.

It even tells you how much faster/slower your speedo will read after the tire change.
Hi.
Sorry but the link to the calculator didn't show.

OldSchool1 said:
Final1996$100SnAE77665544B.jpg

Show them your catalogue.
They'll FIND your tires.

Cute. Sometimes that works, but what I found in today's market, if it doesn't fall off the shelf and hit them in the testicles, today's sales "associate" doesn't normally go too far out of the way to help. The brands I mentioned all have the size listed on their site and the dealers I checked also gave me the same info, so I'm pretty sure that's what I'm stuck with. The prices, however, aren't too bad though, and competitive pressures being what they are, I don't think any of them will be too awful bad. I just don't have any experience with them. I remember the first time I ventured away from the familiar American barnds, back in the 70s, I was amazed how well the Bridgestones were on my 1970 T-Bird. Those new tires made a hell of a difference over the old worn out Goodyears back then. Like ridin' on rails! The Fusions actually got some good reviews. I'll post a critique when I get a few miles on them.

I placed an order with Tire Rack on Friday, got a personal call on Monday from a real person who wanted to make sure the load ratings would meet the rating on the door jam label of the car (they did) and UPS delivered them today! (1 day from W. Indiana to SE MI). Pretty damn incredible I'd say. I ended up with Kumho (nice southern Baptist name, eh?) ECSTA Supra 712s at $90 each w/free shipping. That's $50 each cheaper than I could find anywhere locally in the Detroit area. Very agressive directional tread. Consciencious service and quick too! I'd highly reccommend them: www.tirerack.com. 245/45ZR-16 on stock turbine wheels. No fit problems ever. I'd say from the discussions around here that the secret to fitting wider tires is the lower aspect ratio. I'm going to take some measurements for 17" or 18" shortly. The Tire Rack site has help in this regard (also with wheel offsets, etc.).

Works For Me

:L I still have the 215 60r16 on 16 inch rims, sure looks sharp. The back tires rub if I have weight in the back as in kids or passengers only on strong bumps. But for me and the old lady it's cruising time. A matter of function before form I suppose?

car01.jpg

my1stmarkVII said:
:L I still have the 215 60r16 on 16 inch rims, sure looks sharp. The back tires rub if I have weight in the back as in kids or passengers only on strong bumps. But for me and the old lady it's cruising time. A matter of function before form I suppose?
Gorgeous.
Tell me that you have a tow hitch on that car. I hope so!

Dont you see the boat in the upper right? No just kidding I got the old 78 for that it's only got 80,000 miles on it. This truck is the reason they had to invent airbags. F250 Custom 4 wheel drive 351 modified.

Members online

Back