Does your car "PING" on 87 Octane

hottweelz

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My car seems to rattle or "ping" almost has a lightweight bearing sound to it... I hope it's cuz I run regular gas.... anyone else with the 4.6 32V?

89 OCTANE IN A MARK VIII ??!?!?!?

Bad move there. Also whats the mileage? Could be bad fuel pump/filter too.

I usually use 89 or 91 although I have used 87 before with no pinging that I noticed.

my old mans 2V tbird pings like a mother when he used 87 though... strange

K, guess I just assumed 87 would be ok, (based on price) I'll fill up with Super next tank and see what happens... I have 81k on the motor and like 2k on the tranny.

NYC LSC said:
No, mine doesn't ping on 87.

That's because I use nothing other than 93. lol
dude on the dash board in very nice gold toned letters it says" premium fuel recommended" use 93 or better if you can find it. :V

The knock sensors will prevent the car from pinging even on less then 87 octane . The noise you hear , may here may be the timing chains for the cams ... They have an inherent problem , and there is even a mod .. a spacer to be added to tighten them up...

Topcat said:
The knock sensors will prevent the car from pinging even on less then 87 octane . The noise you hear , may here may be the timing chains for the cams ... They have an inherent problem , and there is even a mod .. a spacer to be added to tighten them up...
That doesn't sound good. By the way, still hear it I think, if I hit the gas coming from a coasting stop, it happens for a moment, it can't be bearings right? Cuz it would be consistent with RPMs?

Oops

mespock said:
Wife likes to put the 87 in but I don't hear any ping.
Tell your wife and everyone else within earshot NOT to do this. When gas took off about 6 months ago, I switched to 87 octane. Around 80K miles one morning, it started running on 7 cylinders. Cost me a new injector - parts and labor just shy of $400. Mechanic said running 87 octane was the problem. The computer will accept it and change the engine settings accordingly, but eventually, ya gotta pay the price, one way or another.

"....less than 87 octane..." ???????????
First of all, where do you find gas with octane lower than 87? And secondly, the knock sensor only "hears" the knock, the computer is what actually pulls timing, and it has only a small amount to play with. There are limits to how much it can pull.
Your idea about the timing chain/gears is interesting. I think I'd probably just dump some octane booster into the tank and see what happens. If it has no effect on the noise, it's probably not octane related.

hottweelz said:
FYI run Super only now, no more noise, ping knock, rattle, otherwise.
i wonder about camII 101 octane i think it would melt the injectors or pistons whaddya think?

about the octane...

i totally agree with eric1.. :I ..lol on all the lincolns it does recomend's premium gas!!!!no matter what yr u have.... why would anyone go lesser then 93 octane on these babies?

i only put 93 and up if more better is available,depending where you go to get gas.it's the drivers discretion on searching for the right gas station and prices...unfortunatly the way the world is at now... :slam
it's essential on gas and oils in order for this baby to perform at it's peak...dont settle for less...if anyone can't offerd this kinda car then sell it to me and u settle for a chevette,or oops better yet a yugo if u can find one heheheheh..lol
:L

Last edited:
LSCGODDESS98 said:
i totally agree with eric1.. :I ..lol on all the lincolns it does recomend's premium gas!!!!no matter what yr u have.... why would anyone go lesser then 93 octane on these babies?

i only put 93 and up if more better is available,depending where you go to get gas.it's the drivers discretion on searching for the right gas station and prices...unfortunatly the way the world is at now... :slam
it's essential on gas and oils in order for this baby to perform at it's peak...dont settle for less...if anyone can't offerd this kinda car then sell it to me and u settle for a chevette,or oops better yet a yugo if u can find one heheheheh..lol
:L
ive been running shell v-power for the past month or so and i gotta say im liking it. :L

I tried it cuz my Caddy is B/S with the whole "Premium Fuel Only" so I figured the Lincoln was B/S too... besides have you seen Super Prices on Willie Floyd Pkwy... but oh well. It's been Super for over a month now and everything is restored to being A.O.K. Now if I can only find that Turbo 108 Stuff I used to use

91 TC pinged

My partents' town car started pinging in '95, AFTER my mother put PREMIUM in it 'stead of regular. Owner manual specifies 87 octane as the correct fuel. Dealer said it 'ruined the calibration' of the 'puter and would ping for ever more if anyone put regular back in it. :confused: I HATE STEALERSHIPS!!!! :mad:

Lesson learned-- after I took ownership of the car--it was the EGR system failure the whole time. :cool: QUESTIONS: What system is used to lower combustion temps? The EGR system. It is mainly used to lower NOx emissions, but does that by lowering combustion temps. What causes engine knock and pre-ignition? HIGH COMBUSTION CHAMBER TEMPS! The EGR is a tough system to diagnose by stealerships, and they love selling parts to ignorant customers. This is an easy system to diagnose by the owner.

Signed--recent Ford MoCo engineer--

Theres a reason it says premium fuel ONLY. I tried 87 once when i first got the car, cuz i thought i knew better....she did not like that. i quick ran got like 5 bottles of 108 octane booster, lol.

Katshot said:
"....less than 87 octane..." ???????????
First of all, where do you find gas with octane lower than 87? And secondly, the knock sensor only "hears" the knock, the computer is what actually pulls timing, and it has only a small amount to play with. There are limits to how much it can pull.
Your idea about the timing chain/gears is interesting. I think I'd probably just dump some octane booster into the tank and see what happens. If it has no effect on the noise, it's probably not octane related.

+1 for the knock sensor and computer timing range comment...

ERIC1 said:
i wonder about camII 101 octane i think it would melt the injectors or pistons whaddya think?

You will be fine with even 110 octane fuel as long as it is unleaded. Your pistons and injectors will withstand that higher octane just fine. That high octane fuel isn't cheap though, but it will allow you to advance your spark timing a little bit more via a chip or re-flash of the EEC. For the price it is best to leave the really high octane fuels to the forced induction guys. We use it to curb detonation due to our higher IAT's along with other things.

Members online

No members online now.
Back