Does this sound like the Center Support Bearing?

Kumba

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Around 75-80, a very noticable vibration comes through the car. You feel it through the seat/door/etc. It's been there since I had the car but I always blamed 6-year-old almost-whipped michelins for the problem. Now that I'm on a brand new set of rims and tires that have been road-force balanced, it still persists.

Things that make me think it's the CSB:
1) Vibration only appears at higher vehicle speeds, so must be drivetrain/tires
2) At slow speed (like 10-mph), I can hear what sounds like a slight thump then the car is coasting along on engine idle, almost like rear swaybar bushings
3) If I shift from drive to reverse or reverse to drive I hear what sound like a hard metal thud, like slack being taken up
4) There is no movement in the steering wheel at all before the rest of the car starts vibrating

The only other things I can come up with for vibration in the drivetrain that would cause the above might be a CV Axle starting to go bad. If that was the case I would think I would hear the thumping all the time and it would vibrate at slower speeds.

Since I got the Ford Extended Warranty, I'll be taking it to them on Tuesday. Only problem I have is half the time a dealer mechanic is just a glorified parts swapper. I've found that the more you give them to go on the better the chance they'll find what you know is wrong. But not all the time :(

So, does that sound right? I've read the 500 posts about vibration and everyone saying balance your tires and/or buy new ones, but I am sure that's not the issue here. EXACT same issue over two completely different tire/rim combo's. Not the tires. The old set was the stock Michelen MXM4's and the new set is Continental ContiProContact Jaguar OEM tires. Neither of them are the cheap $50 Walmart specials.

Around 75-80, a very noticable vibration comes through the car. You feel it through the seat/door/etc. It's been there since I had the car but I always blamed 6-year-old almost-whipped michelins for the problem. Now that I'm on a brand new set of rims and tires that have been road-force balanced, it still persists.

Things that make me think it's the CSB:
1) Vibration only appears at higher vehicle speeds, so must be drivetrain/tires
2) At slow speed (like 10-mph), I can hear what sounds like a slight thump then the car is coasting along on engine idle, almost like rear swaybar bushings
3) If I shift from drive to reverse or reverse to drive I hear what sound like a hard metal thud, like slack being taken up
4) There is no movement in the steering wheel at all before the rest of the car starts vibrating

The only other things I can come up with for vibration in the drivetrain that would cause the above might be a CV Axle starting to go bad. If that was the case I would think I would hear the thumping all the time and it would vibrate at slower speeds.

Since I got the Ford Extended Warranty, I'll be taking it to them on Tuesday. Only problem I have is half the time a dealer mechanic is just a glorified parts swapper. I've found that the more you give them to go on the better the chance they'll find what you know is wrong. But not all the time :(

So, does that sound right? I've read the 500 posts about vibration and everyone saying balance your tires and/or buy new ones, but I am sure that's not the issue here. EXACT same issue over two completely different tire/rim combo's. Not the tires. The old set was the stock Michelen MXM4's and the new set is Continental ContiProContact Jaguar OEM tires. Neither of them are the cheap $50 Walmart specials.
did you ever get your problem fixed, and if so what was it? It sounds like the same sort of thing i have going on right now. I feel the vibration at higer speeds, mine starts at about 50 or so, also on brand new tires. I feel it mostly in my seat back and in the arm rest/center console. No thuds or noises of anykind can be heard from it at the momement. It also shifts into reverse really hard after i have been driving for a while.

I Still have this problem on my car. Vibration around 45mph, worse if the weather is cold. My mechanic looked at it, he thinks it's the U-joint in the center of the driveshaft right by the CSB. He couldn't see up there good, though, the driveshaft is covered by a shield and the exhaust needs to be dropped to access it. Let us know what the dealer says.

I have also replaced the tires and wheels, no clunks or harsh shifting. I see now the original post is 9 months old..

I have the same thing (the sound at higher speeds); just replaced rear bearings and tires but am going to try rotating the tires prior to changing that center bearing. I am thinking it has been there a while but repairing the rear bearings has let me hear it better.

The thing I notice about mine is that the noise all but disappears when I let off the throttle. That makes me think it's probably that bearing on the drive shaft.

Members online

Back