does anyone else have suggestion

cardinalfan

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi as you know i have many problems with my 94 lincoln right now when i stop at stop lights it rocks back and forth and rough idle. I put some fuel injector cleaning fluid in to see what happens. Dealer said possibly head gasket but i dont think so! Any suggestions sounds awful when idling.

If it's a 3.8L it could definitely be a head gasket. Check your coolant for exhaust and check your oil for a milkshake-like substance. 3.8's LOVE eating head gaskets.

With no intention of getting into an argument with such people, I'm going to give one piece of advice.DON'T go to a dealer to get your car worked on.I'm not saying that people haven't had good luck with dealers,BUT, your best bet is to find an honest, independant, mechanic to look at your car.I have a 90 conti, the most hated Lincoln of late, and as a mechanic it has been my finding that alot of complaints that I'm finding on the web involves dealers exploiting what they know is a problem car.Yes 3.8's had head gasket problems, but, the problems, when fixed correctly with CORRECT parts, seldom show up again.Once again, I'm not saying that this is the case with everyone,but,I know what I've experianced and my best advice is, find someone you know you can trust to work on your car.Dealer mechanics work on flat rate and its in their best intrest to do lots of work.If you're not taking advantage of a warranty, a dealer is probably not the best person to tell you what is wrong.I do my own work, and my Conti has been one of the best cars I've owned.As far as your problem goes.I'd say look in your coolant resevoir.Oil and water seperate, and if they're mixing,such as happens with head gasket problems,the oil will rise to the top and eventualy find itself in your resevior.This isn't always the case though and the other best indication is a very "sweet" smell coming out of the exhaust, which is the coolant burning, which goes along with the milkshake substance talked about in previous threads.A check engine code for o2 sensors is also a good sign as 02 sensors hate antifreeze. Good Luck.

Hi, Check all the vacumn lines. You can also take you a can of carburetor cleaner and spray the top of the engine that should tell you if you have a valcumn leak
cardinalfan said:
Hi as you know i have many problems with my 94 lincoln right now when i stop at stop lights it rocks back and forth and rough idle. I put some fuel injector cleaning fluid in to see what happens. Dealer said possibly head gasket but i dont think so! Any suggestions sounds awful when idling.

struts-r-us said:
Hi, Check all the vacumn lines. You can also take you a can of carburetor cleaner and spray the top of the engine that should tell you if you have a valcumn leak

i love that trick. I use it all the time at my shop.

Members online

No members online now.
Back