Do we have a part number for the starter solenoid only?

i ended up ordering this, so we'll see if it fits and works, i may post pictures of the starter cleanup. Not sure where i can buy a new set of brushes locally, but looks like i can guess work a new end cap brush holder off ebay at some point. I'll just inspect what i have and hope its not destroyed.
Joegr will probably kick my a* for not doing more extensive trouble shooting for this one click starting issue, i think its a combination of the solenoid and some corroded wires.

Call your local Ford dealer and give them the last 8 digits of your VIN number. I'll bet they say "no" for the solenoid only.

You will probably be best off by going to an independent shop that actually rebuilds starters, and have them rebuild the solenoid

What are the condition of the wires at the solenoid. If they have corrosion on them, that might be the problem.

You could try using some "battery cleaner" spray on them... and scrub the connections with a small brass or stainless wire brush.

Yes, ive once already rectified the one click issue by loosening the wires on the solenoid and cleaning like you said, problem is, it was rusted and corroded to where the nuts wont come off, they're now spinning in the solenoid. So now i cant even get the nuts off to do any inspection or real cleaning.. so i just broke the connections off just to get the starter out.

Test fitted, fits perfect and locks in with the thing inside. Im taking the motor itself apart to clean and regrease, and inspect the bushings before i put it all back together.. I've got some dielectric grease for all the contacts, this time i'll put on to protect from rust and corrosion.

20240304_162738.jpg

20240304_162833.jpg

20240304_163027.jpg

I replied to this with an update not sure why it didnt post?
Anyways, its a success, i took apart the starter and cleaned it good, regreased the gears, 3m weatherstrip sealant sealed it, (a wax is used from factory around the starter seams to keep it weathertight) and redid the field coil wire. It was tricky getting the shaft body into the bushings without tearing them up, had to remove the spring clips and put the shaft body in the center and add one clip at a time carefully.

was super fast and easy getting the starter back in compared to how long it took me to get it out, cleaning the bolt threads helps alot in this situation.. dielectric greased the connections and cleaned up corrosion on the wires, etc.. hopefully this solenoid will last a while, we'll see.

20240305_140520.jpg

20240305_142644.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back