Do i need a new control arm

dnce0589

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i have searched the forums to no avail. I have a 2000 lincoln ls and i am having a ball joint problem, when i turn in to parking spaces i get the dry squeaking from the front driver side not so much when im driving and make a turn. I wanna know if i have to buy a control arm or can i just buy the ball joint.

You can replace the ball joint in the lower control arm. The upper control arm needs to be purchased with the ball joint. It is not replaceable

Hey guys i have searched the forums to no avail. I have a 2000 lincoln ls and i am having a ball joint problem, when i turn in to parking spaces i get the dry squeaking from the front driver side not so much when im driving and make a turn. I wanna know if i have to buy a control arm or can i just buy the ball joint.

I had an alignment/suspension shop replace the ball joints (do both sides). I don't remember what the labor was, but I used MOOG parts. I would probably use Timken in the future; USA made and all.....

Until you replace the arm. The new one must be manufactured differently.

I guess I was unclear. I have never heard of the ball joint in the upper control arm being replaced. I have never seen anyone selling an upper ball joint for the LS. As far as I know, the only way you can get an upper ball joint is to buy the upper control arm with the ball joint already in it.

I guess I was unclear. I have never heard of the ball joint in the upper control arm being replaced. I have never seen anyone selling an upper ball joint for the LS. As far as I know, the only way you can get an upper ball joint is to buy the upper control arm with the ball joint already in it.

I'm on board. For some reason the ball joint in the factory UCA isn't replaceable. However, once the UCA is replaced with the new dealer-sourced unit the ball joint will be replaceable. Confusing, isn't it?

I haven't been able to source an upper ball joint separate from the arm, sadly.

dnce, make sure it's the ball joint and not the bushings. Mine started with a mild, occasional squeak, now it's a full cacophony of terrible noises - it's the lower control arm bushings failing in my case. I can see the lower arm actually moving when someone turns the wheel.

I'm on board. For some reason the ball joint in the factory UCA isn't replaceable. However, once the UCA is replaced with the new dealer-sourced unit the ball joint will be replaceable. Confusing, isn't it?

I didnt realize the new UCA's had replaceable ball joints. Good info

Members online

No members online now.
Back