Do I need a burping the coolant system?

beatcpl

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have drained and refilled coolant system the following procedure and also replaced thermostat (Drilled a small hole in the edge of the thermostat) around the 20.000miles from now on. I’ve never hand any issue during the time. Recently, I’ve got a low coolant message in the computer every morning. When I opened hood, engine coolant level is lower than normal level in the reservoir.

Then, I just reset the computer and I drove the car without refilling a month. I’ve never gotten any issues. engine temperature gauge stays in the middle of the “NORMAL” range and the lower radiator hose should feel hot to the touch. No overheating, No leak. I think, after the car run, the reservoir level became normal position.

But I just getting more often “low coolant message” in the morning and engine coolant level is getting low than in the beginning of issue.

Is my coolant system air traps? Or It just a normal? Do I have to do air burping or just refill the coolant the recommend procedure?

Thanks,

-The lower radiator hose should be relatively cool due to the fact that it was just cooled by the radiator. The upper should be hot.
-If the coolant level is lower than the "Cold fill line" when the engine is cold then it's low, fill it to the line.
-For minor top offs you can use the resv.
-I'd look a little harder for a leak.

These cars are very susceptible to air pockets, but you would be overheating and from the beginning when you when you first refilled it. I couldn't get the fill spot in the crossover off (a 1/4 drive square, really?) so I thought I could do it from the reservoir, but I was wrong. It instantly overheated (it was 110 degrees, but still) and I was able to add quite a bit more coolant once I got the thing on the crossover off.

Sounds like you have a leak someplace, can be something small like a pinhole leak in the plastic tank of the radiator, that is hard to track down!

Most of the filling of the system has to be done from the crossover, then topped off in the reservoir until coolant shows up in the crossover.

Thanks to all you guys that gave your input about the advance tips. I really help me to figure it out. I just follow the recommend procedure. it works fine now.
I think myself that I used to use cheaper Orelly brand universal coolant 50/50 that burned out during the two years.

Thanks again,
Ed

Members online

No members online now.
Back