do i need a 8mm?

davemeradith

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i am preparing to revive my baby after months of sitting w. an overheating problem. to remove and replace my thermo. housing i need a 8mm crows foot. i have literally called evry shop n town lookn for it. nothing after 15 calls. i dont want to special order cuz i wanted to finish today but it looks like ill have to wait. is it possible to do with another tool? has any one tried/done it before? thnx.

A 5/16" would probably work instead. 8mm and 5/16 are pretty close to the same size (2 thousandths of an inch difference).

edit: my quick reply window was up so long that Joe had already replied.

Not sure why you need a crow's foot, but if you really do, ask for a 5/16" crow's foot, since it is equivalent to 8 mm. Do expect it to round the bolt's hex head instead of remove it, though. You must have a V8, since my V6 has no such requirement for thermostat housing access. Good luck!

If this is a gen 2 with the 3.9L, you're doing something wrong if you need a special tool for the thermostat housing. I just replaced a bunch of cooling parts a couple weeks ago and didn't need anything like that. I used either a socket or a box wrench for everything.

I wish they had that metal housing for the gen ii... That was half the cause of my overheating issue.

2000 V8, for a gen1 v8 yes u need crows foot, and i was using the same walkthrough on calguns.

sooo im guessing no one knows of a diff way or tool to do thermo. housing on a gen1 v8?

a socket wont fit on there look at the diy link above. i havent looked at it n months but as i recall ladt time i tried to i didnt only bcuz i didnt have crows feet. a socket wouldnt work.

a socket wont fit on there look at the diy link above. i havent looked at it n months but as i recall ladt time i tried to i didnt only bcuz i didnt have crows feet. a socket wouldnt work.

You didn't say, so I thought you had a gen II.
I haven't changed one on a gen I, but you must be doing more than you said if you need one. You should be able to remove the thermostat housing with just a socket wrench, it's just three bolts. Are you also planning to replace the coolant outlet pipe (aka tower)? Don't get upset if I answered the question you had and not the one you should have asked.

I had to buy a whole kit of crows feet, and modify the 8mm to get it to work on my gen I. I had to special order it too.

joegr-i dont wana fight w. u lol but my previous 2 posts b4 urs clearly states i have a 2000 V8. i did make the mistake of saying housing wen i shoukd have sed tower so i apologize. but thnx for ur help man.
scjmc-i was afraid of that. damn. gess ill need 2 order sum cuz not a store n town carrys below a 10mm.
thnx for the help lvc. ill update if/wen i get her runn agen.

I cant remember the seller, but I bought a set off ebay I think. I had the same trouble as you with nobody locally selling below 10mm. I had to work a crap load of overtime at work during the same period as fixing the cooling system on my LS. I had to drive the F150 to work for like 2 months untl I had the parts, time and tools to do the job. I recommend the JAG aluminum housing BTW...

Why do you type like a seven year old? You'd probably get more help if you just made an attempt.

cuz im out workn n i carry my cell phone 2 try n use shorthand. y r u such a jackass? ud prolly get more respect if u werent so ignorant. so let me correct myself. Thank all of LVC for helping me out. Except for nelliot500 of course. He is an ignorant jackass. Better?

cuz im out workn n i carry my cell phone 2 try n use shorthand. y r u such a jackass? ud prolly get more respect if u werent so ignorant. so let me correct myself. Thank all of LVC for helping me out. Except for nelliot500 of course. He is an ignorant jackass. Better?

Actually, I did attempt to help you up above, but it wasn't useful to you because you have a gen 1 car.

I gave you a suggestion because your posts are extremely hard to follow. I have to read them slowly because I feel like I'm deciphering some cryptic code. I'm sure I'm not the only one either.

And now that I see that you're just a complete dickhead, I'll be sure not to help you at all in the future.

I bought this set since I couldn't a similar priced metric set. Hopefully be able to do this next weekend.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14061194927...tem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:MOTORS:3160&vxp=mtr

My temp gauge shoots up (farthest its gotten is 3/4 of the way up) when I have the air on but when I turn it off the engine temp goes back to normal. I will also be replacing my degas bottle, which I think is the real culprit but I might as well change the thermostat and housing since I open the system up.

brand and price? might need one for this project since i had a dorman and it overheated. guessing its cracked.

Dave, It OEM, and its in my for sale thread. Its used but came of an ls with like 30,000 miles on it, I am only asking like 15 bucks for it

Members online

Back