Disconnect battery sets alarm off...

mustangtc65

LVC Member
Reaction score
My advanced traction control light comes on the very first time I press the brake when i start the car. No abs light comes on (it works in the dash) and the abs and atc seem to be working fine. Now when i start the car the air bag light blinks a few time then stays on. I checked the connector under the divers seat and it looks solid. I pull codes with my scanner and i get nothing. So I unhook the battery for a bit to "reset" the computer...i used to do this in my old cars. Now the anti theft light is blinking and when i try to start the car the alarm starts to go (horn and light blinking). I have the pull the positive off the battery to stop it. The car came with two keys...black and a grey..black sets the alarm off. Dont have the grey one on me atm. I cant drive the car to get the grey key to try it. I have done alot of searching and cant come up with any answers. Any help on any of the problems would be a great help.

Car is an 02 lse.

Thx

You have a few different problems going. The one that is stopping you right now is that your battery is weak or your connections to it are poor. Fix that first.

Just finished cleaning the battery terminals, good and clean....Never had an issue with the battery before...

Okay...

The alarm going off when trying to start the engine is a classic symptom of a weak battery, as would be the gauges doing a sweep. Note that the battery could be weak due to a battery problem, or due to an alternator/charging system problem.

AdvanceTrac light when you press the brake pedal without ABS light -> Probably a mechanical fault with the brake booster or the master cylinder.

SRS light -> Probably the clockspring. The SRS light flashes out a two digit code (it repeats a few times) before it goes to solid on. Posting that code here might help.

Code scanner -> Generic OBDII scanners won't pick up any of the SRS or AdvanceTrac codes (or from several other systems either). To get those codes, you need a Ford specific scan tool (or one with a Ford module or expansion).

Thanks for the info. I'll have the battery checked. Another question...does the alarm light, located above the interior dimmer switch, always blink red?. Had this car for over 6 years and never noticed it.

Thanks for the info. I'll have the battery checked. Another question...does the alarm light, located above the interior dimmer switch, always blink red?. Had this car for over 6 years and never noticed it.

You must have some aftermarket alarm installed. In that case, it may not be that you have a weak battery after all. The factory alarm doesn't care about the battery being disconnected and reconnected. Your aftermarket one probably does.

(The factory PATS/alarm light is a red light on the top of the dash board, at the center and near the windshield.)

pics... sounds like this is the case...you can try and remove the aftermarket alarm, but depending on the brand, it can get pretty complicated. be careful on what you disconnect and what its wired into....I'd look under the dash and look for the aftermarket controller.

Just put in a brand new battery...old had 6 years on it... nothing changed, alarm still goes off when i start the car.. here is a pic of the light that flashes. Is this after market? Its in the man part of the dash ans has a lip were something goes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You must have some aftermarket alarm installed.

i would have to agree fully for this, there is no alarm light anywhere near the headlight switch, and most factory alarm will go to being armed when reconnected to the battery.

you will need either the aftermarket remote to disarm it (which you most likely dont have, since you didnt know it was there) or you will need to find where the installer hid the valet switch and find the brand of the alarm to figure out how to manually disarm it (you will probably have to disassemble some of the car to locate the alarm brain to get the brand and model)

you you can find the brain and unplug it to get the alarm to stop going off, however if the starter kill relay was wired up "normally open" instead of normally closed, then the car still wont be able to start even with the key, the easiest thing to do would be to find the starter relay, pull the relay out of the socket, and use a jumper wire to reconnect the starter so at least you could drive it somewhere to have it fully disconnected properly if your not sure or capable of doing it yourself. if it was me, i would put the alarm brain somewhere near the steering column under the dash, but it really could be hidden anywhere.

i would take off the plastic panel just over where your knees are when driving and then the metal panel under that and snap a couple of pictures, might be able to give you a little better help, easiest way to find the alarm brain, is to follow the two wires coming off of that alarm LED, they will lead you right to the brain.

Had no idea the was an after market alarm on it. Thanks for the info. Went out removed all the panels under the divers dash..........Cut and tapped wires everywhere. Found the unit, says Ford Security Systems on it. and i found a button hanging by it. I this is a very bad install of a alarm system. Could be the cause of some of my other issues in the car. No wonder my drivers side mirror moves every time i unlock my car.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/20111108200346800.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/20111108200245589.jpg/

Every three or four days my battery goes dead and when i try to start it the RPM and Speedometer sweep and the car just clicks, no start. Boost and away i go for another few days. Thinking alternator but could be Battery? 01 LS V8 86k miles, problem only started since weather got cold.

my money is on the battery with limited info. an old weak battery will probably fail completely once it gets cold enough.

i would have your batter and alternator tested, if you have the original battery, it is far overdue for a replacement. even if the battery was good before this started happening, every time it gets drained dead, it does damage to the battery. if your battery was good before it started dying all the time, then you may have a drain or something that will need to be taken care of.

when ever either the battery or alternator goes out, it will usually take the other one out if not fixed right away.

Members online

Back