Disagreement With the Kennedy Narrative

shagdrum

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Great blog from this link:
After five days of flood-the-zone news coverage, eulogies, and encomiums, filled with hundreds of op-ed pieces and blog posts, the Democrats have made their vision of Senator Edward Kennedy’s life and career crystal clear. I’ve had some fun at their expense, but the late Senator has now been returned to the earth at Arlington, and fun time is over. I have some serious disagreements with the things I’ve heard from the Left over the last few days.

I do not believe a political career is worth a young woman’s life. Period. I don’t think Mary Jo Kopechne was proud to die for Ted Kennedy. I don’t think her horrifying death was a necessary human sacrifice to enable his “fortunate fall.” Ted Kennedy was not the victim of Chappaquiddick. Anyone who believes those things is a degenerate who should be shunned by civilized people.

I disagree with the notion that any aspect of Kennedy’s life “redeemed” him for the death of Mary Jo Kopechne. Redemption requires contrition, an admission of guilt. Kennedy never admitted responsibility or guilt for what happened at Chappaquiddick. I wish he had, because the idea of so many people rushing to grant him undeserved absolution is nauseating.

I disagree that the world will “sorely miss” the “moral clarity” of someone who enjoyed jokes about the woman who died because of his cowardice and lust for power. The human race will be greatly improved when it is infested by fewer such creatures.

I disagree that we should be more eager to pass an increasingly unpopular, blatantly unconstitutional, ridiculously expensive bill that would destroy the health-care industry, just because a dead politician from a wealthy and powerful family would have wanted it.

I don’t believe that destroying the reputation of a judge, through insane and reckless allegations that challenge his very humanity, represents great statesmanship. He tried the same slimy tactics he used on Robert Bork against Clarence Thomas. I don’t think the legacy of personal destruction Ted Kennedy inaugurated during the Bork confirmation hearings has been a plus for America.

I don’t believe that a man who worked with the Soviet Union to undermine American policy, slandered American troops while they were fighting battles in the streets of Iraq, and helped abandon the Cambodians to genocide was either a patriot, or a noble citizen of the world. His loyalty was to his own ambitions, to his Party, and to the country he thought America might become, if it would submit to his ideas. The loyalty of an arrogant man is always diluted by a measure of treachery.

I don’t believe a man fighting for his life against a brain tumor should be denied care under a quality of life formula, in a rationed government health-care system. I also don’t think those quality of life spreadsheets should add a million extra points for being a powerful politician. The idea that Senator Kennedy would have been denied the care he needed, to gain his extra year of life, under socialized medicine is ridiculous – the government will never apply rationing to its ruling elite, or make them wait in line. The idea that everyone else should be expected to surrender in their struggle for life is monstrous.

I disagree that the architect of the “Big Dig” debacle, who saddled the country with trillions of dollars in debt, and tried to change the rules of Massachusetts senatorial succession in an embarrassingly transparent bid to keep those seats permanently in his party’s hands, is “the greatest legislator of our time,” as President Obama called him. If he is, then his career is proof that we need fewer “great legislators.” We can’t afford them any more. Did he support some important legislation? Certainly. The most indisputably noble bill he was associated with was the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Mary Jo Kopechne died in 1969. That should have been the end of him.

I don’t think a man who lied to the police, and dispatched henchmen to destroy the reputation of the victim, to help his nephew beat sexual assault charges is any sort of feminist hero. Let me know when the feminists think it’s okay for a Republican to be one of the slices of bread in a waitress sandwich. The idea that political positions convey a supreme virtue, trumping abhorrent personal behavior, should be buried with Kennedy.

I disagree that someone’s party affiliation, position in the government, or last name should put them above the law. I disagree that four decades of squatting in a safe Senate seat is admirable, for anyone of any political party. I don’t see anything to applaud about a notorious womanizer with a spotless record of abortion extremism. I don’t find anything noble about a man born to wealth and privilege seeking moral authority by socking struggling middle-class businessmen with the bill for his high-minded social programs… especially when he took every opportunity to shelter his own income from taxes.

Many reasons have been offered for Ted Kennedy’s long, expensive, debased career: He was trading on his family name. The voters of Massachusetts thrust him on the country by perpetually re-electing him. It was America’s collective fault for letting him get away with Chappaquiddick. The media loved him because they love epic tales of heroic liberal politicians. We can learn not to repeat all of those mistakes.

When you go into the voting booths next year, remember what the past week has taught you about the Democrats. It would have been one thing to offer a salute to the parts of his political agenda they agreed with, while acknowledging the dark side. The full-on hagiography, coupled with the disgusting attempts to dismiss Mary Jo Kopechne’s life as a small price to pay for political power, reveal that this party knows nothing about the meaning of redemption, responsibility, and the value of individual human lives. The rest of us can neither afford nor tolerate anyone like Ted Kennedy, ever again.​

The "waitress sandwhich" was something he and Chris Dodd used to like to do to waitresses.

"When she put in an appearance in their private retreat - 'The Teddy Kennedy Fun Room' - the Massachusetts senator picked her up and heaved her onto a table. The crystal candlesticks and champagne glasses shattered as he grabbed her again and flung her on top of Dodd.

"Then Kennedy threw himself on top of the woman. The waitress implored Mr. Kennedy to 'Get off me!'

"Another waitress entered to find 'things all tipped over and Kennedy was on top, [the waitress] was in the middle and Dodd was on the bottom.' At that point the sandwich was disassembled."

Good points made.

Ted Kennedy certainly was not perfect.

So what?

He accomplished very many great things, on behalf of many people, perhaps very specifically on behalf of his fallen assassinated brothers. He joined them yesterday evening in the triangle at Arlington. May God bless all of his efforts, even after all of his faults, on behalf of the people that needed and cherished his voice.

If you don't agree with his voice, or even his voices, please do not denigrate yourself into calling Ted Kennedy names. From what I see he worked his life into trying to make things a better place for all of us. Whether he was right or wrong remains to be seen.

The health care issue is a matter of a CRIMINAL investigation.

There is absolutely no excuse for costs to have accelerated by over 400 percent over the last decade.

Vitas

Ted Kennedy certainly was not perfect.

So what?
No one is perfect.
Saying that he "wasn't perfect" is an understatement.

No one is perfect, but they don't lead the life that Ted Kennedy led.
Ted Kennedy was a bad person or low character- not merely imperfect.

He accomplished very many great things, on behalf of many people, perhaps very specifically on behalf of his fallen assassinated brothers.
That doesn't even make sense.
It's just nonsense designed to make you feel all tingly inside and for Teddy to continue to ride on the coat tails of his dead brothers...

He joined them yesterday evening in the triangle at Arlington. May God bless all of his efforts, even after all of his faults, on behalf of the people that needed and cherished his voice.
It's a disgrace that they buried him there.
It's an insult to all of the heroes and their families that they planted his bloated corpse there. His "military service" was a joke, he was a failure, and his European vacation was financed by his father.

If you don't agree with his voice, or even his voices, please do not denigrate yourself into calling Ted Kennedy names. From what I see he worked his life into trying to make things a better place for all of us. Whether he was right or wrong remains to be seen.
You don't see very much, do you?

The health care issue is a matter of a CRIMINAL investigation.

There is absolutely no excuse for costs to have accelerated by over 400 percent over the last decade.

Vitas
We can discuss that elsewhere.
In this thread, you were defending and canonizing a bad man of low character, who led a shameful life.
Whether you think he did something good DESPITE this is irrelevant.

This man is dead and gone, let GOD do his job and determine if he were a good man or not, WE SHOULD NOT JUDGE!

It's a disgrace that they buried him there.
It's an insult to all of the heroes and their families that they planted his bloated corpse there. His "military service" was a joke, he was a failure, and his European vacation was financed by his father.

This is absolute fact... a total disgrace to the site itself and everyone that was laid to rest before Ted Kennedy.

it is no longer hallowed ground when a drunken murderer can "BUY" a burial plot.

Speaking of a voice from the dead...:D

Kennedy was revered by the left as the ultimate RobinHood. Steal whatever you can from the rich and give it to the poor, all the while making sure you take your cut off the top because you serve it for caring. :shifty:

I certainly don't see where Ted did anything in trying to make things a better place for me or anyone I know. Maybe, maybe, 'No Child' but even that has been decried by the liberals in this Country.

This man is dead and gone, let GOD do his job and determine if he were a good man or not, WE SHOULD NOT JUDGE!
Don't worry, I'm not preventing any higher power from passing judgment. His desperate efforts to contact the Pope in his final months are anecdotal evidence indicating how HE thought that might work out.

But we absolutely SHOULD judge. Unless you're saying he should have quietly been planted in the ground, without fanfare, and without the liberal canonization. Because "judging" isn't limited to negative observations.

They need to dig his azz up and dump him in the creek where he left that girl to die.

Members online

No members online now.
Back