Disabling telescoping feature on 2nd gen

Blenderhead

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Is there a simple way to disable the telescoping feature on a 98 Mark? I had it where I wanted it, but then the switch went bad, and as soon as my battery was disconnected, it defaulted back to all the way forward. Does anyone know what wire(s) I should look for to put power/ground to to move it back out to where I want it, and then just cut those wires so it can't move in and out anymore?

No, I know about that. It is already turned off, so it doesn't move around when I shut the car off. What I want is to make it so it can't telescope at all, cause as soon as you disconnect the battery, everything resets and it will move the column all the way up and all the way in as soon as you re-connect the battery. I just want to move it out to where I like it, and cut the wire so it will never telescope in or out again no matter what, and I want to know if I can do that without disabling the tilt, and if so, what wire I need to cut.

If i recall correctly when i replaced the blend door i manually opened the case that controls everything and adjusted both in/out and up/down using a wrench and disconnected both the plugs behind the unit so that they would no longer move.

There is a tech article some where to help explain how to take everything apart but not to adjust it.

From what i remember

remove the lower dash panel
disconnect the plugs under the unit
remove 4 nuts holding the unit to the dash
remove 2 bolts holding a upside down c shaped columb support under the unit
Using a torx bit remove i beleive 8 bolts on the top cover of the unit.

once inside use a wrench on both the left and right side to adjust in/out(left side), up/down(right side)
Forget wich way you turn them but you'll figure it out.

I'll probably end up doing that then. I was hoping there was a way I could disable the telescoping feature while still leaving the tilt feature working, but if it is all controlled inside the module, I guess I won't be able to.

Hmmm... I wish I was at home and could open up my spare column quick, I bet you could internally just unhook the telescoping motor and leave the tilt motor hooked up....

Members online

Back