Digital Cluster

SteveJH

LVC Member
Reaction score
Im wanting to know how expensive it would be to switch over from my digital cluster in my '92 Conti to a regular gauge type cluster. Has anyone done this and have pictures? Where could I get it done, or how hard would it be to do it myself?

without having seen an analog cluster to compare to, I would guess its pretty tough.

the digital cluster has 3 connectors on it, one primarily power and lighting, other 2 are for data communication to the other systems in car, and possibly gauge inputs to the dash from various points.

why do you want to change from digital to analog?? is there a problem with your cluster????

Yah, I have a problem where everytime i turn on my headlights, the dash lights go off. But I also want to change them just for the whole "what other 92 Conti has this?" effect. But until I do the change over, fixing this problem would be quite nice if anyone knows how...

have you checked the dimmer control??? also, these have a PWM module that controls the brightness of the dash lights (Including the backlights for the digital display). There is a possibility that the headlight switch is bad too.

Basically, when lights are off, full power is applied to the IP lights. When park or headlights are turned on, then the PWM starts controlling the voltage to the lights.

One other thing, do the dash lights go out with headlights only?? (parking lights dims the dash properly).
Also, what about the heater? and the radio? the light by headlight switch? other lights that are controlled by the dimmer/PWM module.

the 2 dome lights in the front stayed on contantly, so I took the bulbs out of them, the park lights also turn the dash lights off. Heater works fine, and I have an aftermarket radio in it.

of course when I am talking heater, I am talking about heater illumination.

what about the little light next to headlight switch??? does it work when you turn on park/headlights??? does the aftermarket radio support dimming the display???

While I agree that an analog dash would be different in a Conti, I don't know if I have ever seen an analog dash for the Conti.

With the 2 dome lites staying on.. I am gonna suspect the dimmer module first.. then the headlight switch. of course I will do a little circuit following this weekend.. (I have 92 EVTM manual).. and post some more info or things to check

ok.. here is a little more info... I can get more detailed later...

dimmer circuit operation.

During normal operation, the Instrument Panel Dimming Rheostat controls a small number of lamps on the 88 (BK/W) circuit. Most dimmable lamps are fed through the Pulse Width Dimming Module, which duplicates the illumination level of the rheostat at a higher power output.

Certain lamps must be illuminated fully during the daytime and dimmed at night(484 [O/BK] circuits). This is accomplished by a switch in the Main Light Switch (in vehicles without Automatic Headlamps) or by the LCD Dimming Relay (in vehicles with the Automatic Headlamps).

Do you have autoheadlights or not? there is a little difference in the circuits.

The dimmer control and PWM are kinda wired in parallel.. right now, I am betting that you have bad PWM, or wiring problem. PWM is not used when parking lights and headlights are off.

There is also a LCD dimming relay in this circuit if you have autolamp. This controls ONLY a couple items, thats why it is important to know about all the dimmable lights in car, to see what ones work or not. The LCD dimming relay only effects the instrument panel, digital clock (seperate from radio), and radio illumination.

Also, check fuses 13, 15, 6...

Also check one of the 5 amp fuses in your fuse pannel mine was doing the exact same thing I finaly checked every fuse and one of the two 5 ampers was blow replaced that fuse and evrything has been jolly.

yea, there are 3 fuses feed the illumination circuits.. some go to the dimmer and PWM, some go other places, but all need to be good for the system to work properly. I don't remember for sure how many are, but I know that at least one of the 3 I listed is a 5 amp fuse.

I do not have auto-lights. I will check the dimmer and the switch for the lights sometime this week and get back with you. Where is my pwm module? Where can I get a new one if it is broke?

ok.. without autolamps (not the autodimmer for the high beams, different stuff), the circuit goes like this...

full brightness (park lights off):

from fuse 6 (15A) thru the headlight switch (into switch on Blk/yel wire, out on Brn/wht) too the lcd lights, then too ground.

Dimmed lights (park lights on):

from PWM module to headlight switch, (Blk/W at pwm, Orange/red at headlight switch, with same output wire as full bright (brn/wht). rest of circuit is same.

The PWM module is located Behind LH side of I/P, above fuse panel. it has an oval shaped connector, with 6 wires. probably best shot at a module is either direct from ford (could be $$$$) or a junkyard... but you might have to pull it yourself, depending on the yard and their knowledge of the vehicle.

Hope this helps some....
This info is comming straight from the 92 ford EVTM.

ohhh, thought I might add... The EVTM does NOT show anything for an analog dash for the Conti's... if ford offered it, its not in the service manual!

Now, if you wanted to fab an analog dash yourself... it does look like most of the gauge inputs are on seperate wires, which would make it easier (not needing to figure how to hook to the system's data buss and convert the computers chit chat into usable stuff).

Members online

No members online now.
Back