Differences between the Base 6-disc and the Alpine 6-disc ? ?

Dan Ro

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I just won an ebay auction for an Alpine 6-disc stereo to replace my jammed 6-disc stereo. I don't currently have an Alpine version. Is the only difference in the stereo itself a better built in amp or something?

I made the mistake and did the same thing; put it back on ebay! It's way too much trouble to convert from one to the other from what I understand. Has something to do with the amp situation with the Alpine...sure others will jump in. Search the forum...

Good thing is there is definitely a market for them so you will be able to sell it again..good luck..

I made the mistake and did the same thing; put it back on ebay! It's way too much trouble to convert from one to the other from what I understand. Has something to do with the amp situation with the Alpine...sure others will jump in. Search the forum...

Good thing is there is definitely a market for them so you will be able to sell it again..good luck..

WHAT? Your kidding! So, I won't be able to use this? What year stereo did you try to put in want year car? Does that make any difference, like between Gen1 and Gen2?

WHAT? Your kidding! So, I won't be able to use this? What year stereo did you try to put in want year car? Does that make any difference, like between Gen1 and Gen2?

That's the fact Jack. We've been through this many times (search first, buy next). I was going to try and upgrade my base radio almost 8 years ago and found out the two systems are NOT compatible. The base radio has an internal amp and the Alpine uses something like 3 external amps. You could do it, but the money would be better spent on an amp and better speakers; which is what I ended up doing.

Sorry about being the purveyor of bad news.

I didn't ever think to search on this. I never imagined that it wouldn't work. I have put a factory stereo in another make in the past and never thought this would have an external amp setup.

That's the fact Jack. We've been through this many times (search first, buy next). I was going to try and upgrade my base radio almost 8 years ago and found out the two systems are NOT compatible. The base radio has an internal amp and the Alpine uses something like 3 external amps. You could do it, but the money would be better spent on an amp and better speakers; which is what I ended up doing.

Sorry about being the purveyor of bad news.

WRONG... Both units have an internal amp for the 4 door speakers. The Alpine has a 8-pin connector for the center imaging amp and the sub woofer amp, but he does'nt need them connected. The unit will function like his original, but he will not get the DSP occupancy modes. The unit will show a DTC in the self-test for the missing amps, but the unit will still function like his base unit. This only applies to the Gen 1 LS.

Last edited:
I installed the Alpine stereo and it plug and played just fine. Except that this cd changer is also jammed.

My car came with the Alpine and jams every once in a while as well, always seems to be disc 3 that it doesn't want to eject. Anyways, I've always just pounded it with my fist a few times and that usually does the trick.

When you turn it upside down, don't you take a chance on scratching the moon roof?:D

Hold the door open and reach in with a haemostat.

KS

Why not just get an aftermarket one??

Much better quality sound, and all you need to buy is the adapter kit for single or double-din, depending on which style you prefer and the harness. Aftermarket headunits offer way more features and better sound quality than anything stock.

if you have a cd jammed in the radio, the easiest way to get it out is to get a junk cd. next you will hit the eject button and the cd you want out then insert the junk disc into the slot as far as you can. both should come out, you may have to try it a few times. Ive done it with many many ford 6 disc cars and it worked on all of them.

Hey Everyone,
I'm trying to figure this radio swap out. I've got a 2000 LS with the basic cassette in dash and 6 disc in glove box. I'd like to go with the in-dash changer instead of the glove box one. I park my LS in an alley at work and don't want to spend good money on something that will just end up walking away. I don't even lock the doors (don't leave anything in the car at all) since they'll bust out a window just to rummage thru the car looking for anything. They'll never touch a factory radio 10 yrs old.

From what I can gather, the Alpine 6 disc in-dash will work as plug/play but throw DTC for amps not being connected.

Good thing is that I haven't bought a single thing yet and there are lots of factory radios out there.

Thanks,
P.J.

Hey Everyone,
I'm trying to figure this radio swap out. I've got a 2000 LS with the basic cassette in dash and 6 disc in glove box. I'd like to go with the in-dash changer instead of the glove box one. I park my LS in an alley at work and don't want to spend good money on something that will just end up walking away. I don't even lock the doors (don't leave anything in the car at all) since they'll bust out a window just to rummage thru the car looking for anything. They'll never touch a factory radio 10 yrs old.

From what I can gather, the Alpine 6 disc in-dash will work as plug/play but throw DTC for amps not being connected.

Good thing is that I haven't bought a single thing yet and there are lots of factory radios out there.

Thanks,
P.J.

The in-dash changer is a direct swap with the cassette version. Just use Alpine for alpine and base for base. I did the swap years ago; mine was base for base.

Ive seen some people do this.....leave the factory system as is but just unhook it. And they mount a single din headunit inside the glove box hidden away as a deterrent to thieves.

Members online

No members online now.
Back