Did you know?

Katshot

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Did you know?

Have you ever heard of “Service Bulletins”? Most people have. They are basically memos from the OEM to their dealerships for the purpose of making them aware of certain operational idiosyncrasies of vehicles in their model lineup. They usually describe the “issue”, what vehicles are affected by it, and what the dealer should do to repair the problem. Sounds like a great idea huh? Well, it “could” be. That is if a list of these “issues” were made public so individual vehicle owners could take advantage of them and then have their vehicles repaired. Or if the dealership automatically checked all vehicles as they come in for these “issues” as thoroughly as they do for other “Customer Pay” items. I mean, how would you like to know that the weird noise you hear in your new Ford, GM, or whatever, is actually something that can be easily fixed and NOT just another idiosyncrasy that you must “live with”?
Ok, so THAT will never happen but, there IS something you can do that’s almost as good. When you go to the dealership, make sure to mention ALL the little issues you have noticed, you just might be surprised at how many are “known issues” and can easily be repaired. You can also pay for a list of the actual bulletins from a service like http://www.alldata.com/ if you want, or maybe even do a free search on http://nhtsa.gov/ if you like. It’s less comprehensive but it IS FREE !!

I took a TSB into my lovely Lincoln dealer after I found about the 1-2 gear tranny spring upgrade issue. They charged me an arm an a leg to tell me my shifting problem was "all in my head" and "couldn't do anything for me" and just flushed my tranny ans sent me on my way. Sure had a funny look when I took the parts and TSB back to them and told them to fix my car, NOW!

I would like to think that service departments check TSB's first, but I guess not.

Would be nice, wouldn't it? Just another point that proves dealerships are more interested in short-term profits than customer service which will build long-term success. You won't see that kind of thinking at a Lexus dealer.

Kat you have no idea how true that is. I would never buy an import, thats why i never buy new, LOL. I deal with dealerships through my work frequently, and toyota is the only dealership that operates "normally". You think ford is bad you should try going to a GM dealership. I would buy a new ford and deal with ford dealerships before a GM.

Yeah, I've had better luck with Ford dealers too. I've had much less dealings with Ford than GM though since I've owned or been responsible for way more GM vehicles than Ford over the years. By far though, my dealings with Lexus have been head and shoulders above any other. Although I have no personal experience with them, I understand Saturn is very good too.

Members online

Back