Device covered and right of the air cleaner driver's side

Derosa01

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

What is the device that is covered, to the right of the engine compartment, to the right of the air cleaner and against the fender if looking at the car from the front to the back? It keeps "running" every few minutes and then shutting off. It sounds as if it an air compressor. Maybe the compressor for the air ride suspension? This is a 1998 Lincoln Town Car Presidential edition.

Is it "normal" to run on and off like that? If not, what should my first steps be?

Thanks everyone!

Blessings

Hey everyone,
Maybe the compressor for the air ride suspension?

Sounds like you might be correct.

Is it "normal" to run on and off like that? If not, what should my first steps be?

No it's not normal at all. Probably checking your air springs for leaks and getting the system fixed before you kill the compressor.

Shut the switch in the trunk off and see if the car drops. I'm betting not only will it drop, it will slam. That would almost be a sure sign that the springs are FUBAR.

GL

Thanks GL,

FUBAR? I think I know what that means, anyway, no the car does not immediately drop. It will after a while, but very slowly.

Any insight on checking the air springs or it is best to just replace them all? I have never dealt with air suspension outside of working on eighteen wheelers. I am fairly mechanical and was an apprentice for a while. Special tools? Best to just take it to a shop?

Thanks!

Thanks GL,

GL = good luck.

FUBAR? I think I know what that means,

AnimatedGoogle_zps1d552e0d.gif~original
is your friend.

anyway, no the car does not immediately drop. It will after a while, but very slowly.

If it was immediate, you would never be able to inflate them. Does it bottom out sitting overnight?

Any insight on checking the air springs or it is best to just replace them all?

Shut system off in trunk. Jack car up to let axle hang. Inspect springs for cracks in the crease/fold area. You can also employ soapy water to find the leaks.

I have never dealt with air suspension outside of working on eighteen wheelers. I am fairly mechanical and was an apprentice for a while. Special tools? Best to just take it to a shop?

No special tools. 1.5 hours to change them out in the driveway and that includes 2 coffee breaks and a short nap.

Again, thanks for the help GL.
Here a couple of pictures that show the vehicle as it is this morning after sitting all night and before starting it. It doesn't seem too low, but to me, the overall car sits low anyway. I am a truck guy so any "car" to me seems to sit low.car1.jpgcar2.jpg

As far as the instructions... thanks! I am pretty sure I can do that much. Maybe have to skip the nap though!

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

I would have to see it when it's inflated to trim to compare. If it drops any overnight, other than volume reduction by temperature change, Houston, you have a problem. Get those springs replaced before you ruin the compressor from a high duty cycle, and add more $$$$ to the repair. I have never heard my compressor run other than at startup or after adding weight to the vehicle.

Here's what the two I just replaced looked like. Leakers ! An overnight park and mine would slam to the bottom and they failed nearly overnight.

100_3241 (Custom).jpg

Do not purchase springs from Strutmasters. They offer no warranty on any of their air products. You're on your own.

Just go to the BBB report for Strutmasters and you will see.

I would suggest Arnott with a lifetime warranty. The springs I replaced, I had replaced 7.5 years ago, and Arnott replaced them, less the freight.

I believe you can download the replacement instructions on Arnott's website.

GL (good luck). I'm off to replace the oil filter adapter to cylinder block gasket on my '92.

100_3241 (Custom).jpg

If you have a TownCar, replacing airbags with springs makes it into a taxi instead of a limo.

But the airbags are really expensive to maintain when they go wrong.

I appreciate this thread even if the original poster is a drive-by. It helps people who own TownCars who will run into these issues down the road.

If you have a TownCar, replacing airbags with springs makes it into a taxi instead of a limo.

Why would you replace the airbags, when the air springs are the problem.
huh_zps2b6d5758.gif~original

But the airbags are really expensive to maintain when they go wrong.

I assume you're referring to the air springs. $200 for something that lasts 10 years is expensive? It takes no more time to replace the air springs than it does coil springs.

Not sure if the "drive by" was in reference to me or not, but I certainly am not. I just replaced the Air Springs with Arnott springs as suggested by no0c yesterday. They seated fine and certainly helped. I still get the compressor coming on after the car sits for an extended period of time, but the constant cycling has stopped, the car rides a bit higher and the main drivers say that it does indeed drive better.

I certainly appreciate everyone's input and value it highly. I apologize if there was an expected response prior to this. I simply did not have anything to add until I had actually replaced the parts.

Blessings

Last edited:
The compressor is going run nearly every time at start up because it probably vented when you shut it off or within the first 60 minutes after shutdown because you got out and lightened the load.

When you get back in, you added weight and it brought it up to trim height.

You can adjust the height sensor if you want it to ride higher or lower.

Glad it worked out.

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.
Back