Developing Problems on my '03 LS

Fatmac

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello All, Starting to feel a little bummed about my purchase of my 03 LS. Almost wish I had my 95 MK VII back. Started off with the CEL on, cleaned the MAF sensor. It did have a lot of crud in it plus a bug wing. Cleared the code and CEL stayed off for about 150 miles. Now it is back on. Had the codes pulled and came up with P0420 and 430, both banks low pressure. I checked a couple of vac lines and didn't see anything. Disconnected the battery to clear the light and was driving it thru the cycle so I could get it tested and after 65 miles the light is back on and now I also have a hard shift/grab in the first tree gears. Once I get it on the highway and get up to speed it runs smooth. I am new to this model and still learning. My question is, is it possible that the COPs could be causing these problems? I have been a satisfied Lincoln driver as this is my third stepping up each time. From a MK VII to a MK VIII now to a LS.
I am looking for a lawyer now to see if I can get it fixed. In GA we have the Clean Air act that prohibits the sale of a car that doesn't pass emissions.
Thanks
Jack

Coils. Replace all of them as well as replace all spark plugs(properly gap).

After you replace all of the coils and all of plugs, you may find that your cats need to be replaced too (from being damaged by the bad coils going for too long).
After that, you may or may not need to replace the solenoid assembly in the transmission.

Trust us on the coils. You wont hurt anything just replaceing them. Get a set of 8 visteons on ebay. ...or is the 03 covered under warranty?

If you 03 have less than 100K miles it is the coils/spark plugs are covered by extended warranty.

But there has to be signs of oil in the plug wells for the coils to be done under warranty.

No, the coils have to test bad for it to be covered. The valve cover gaskets are replaced if there is oil in there. Just had mine checked under this warranty, turned out that my coils had just been replaced so I had to pay 80 bucks for the check. No matter though, was worth it for possible new coils.

Well for sure it isn't under warranty. Odom is at 136000. Oddly enough i did try to reset the CEL by disconnecting the battery. It did go out but I didn't drive it enough to get through the cycle and it failed emmissions due to that. All else passed???

My 03 has the rough shifts too... It's so crazy that under hard acceleration I've broken the tires loose shifting into 4th gear going like 70 mph (rain) and about 55 mph (dry).

Guess I should have those solenoids replaced myself.

Status update!!!
Thanks Guys! Spot on on the coils. Changed them out and reset the CEL and it has stayed out, passed emissions WooHoo! Now I'm going to address the funky shifting. This car having 136,000 miles would a flush and refill be a good idea before I get the solenoids done. I am going to try to get 200,000 plus out of this Lincoln like I did out of my VIII.
Just a note the VIII had a better sound system than the LS. Trying to burn CD's for the LS is tricky.
Jack

A flush and filter change would be a good idea if it hasn't been done yet or if there is no record of if or when it was done. The factory schedule doesn't call for one until 150K miles, but I prefer to do it about twice as often. Do be aware that if (okay, when) you have the solenoid assembly changed, you will be paying for this all over again.

I would change the solenoid and then do the flush. The solenoids are common issues on these cars and it will fail eventually. Like joe said, you will be paying for the flush twice if you do the solenoid later. And I would recommend using the Ford/Lincoln dealership for the flush, I don't trust Jiffy lube for this.

Ironically, I just posted the following in another thread... I will back up what Hite said. Change the solenoid pack. 2003 and earlier had some shifting issues. There is a superceeded part number for the solenoid pack that should resolve these issues, according to a friend of mine at the local Ford dealer. This could also affect certain 2004 vehicles. I had my friend check mine, and I had the older solenoid pack. So... new solenoid pack, and 16 quarts of Motorcraft tranny fluid sitting in the garage right now. About $450. No additive necessary with the fluid from about 2004 on. To clarify that statement... Mercron V includes the additive. Anything previous to Mercron V did not include the additive, and was added by TSB through the dealer. So if you know someone that burnt up a tranny in earlier models, it was due to lack of the addtive, or a lack of transmission fluid change to Mercron V. If you want to know what TSB's apply to your vehicle, go to your local dealer, give them your VIN number, and they should be able to give you a printout as to what applies to your vehicle. Even better, an OASIS report will give you any info on service provided throughout the vehicles lifetime, by any dealer.

---Mike---

P.S. TSB means - Technical Service Bulletin

Well this car is becoming the prettyist POS I ha e ever bought. I got the trans checked and it was a little low, my mech suggested that we drain it enough and add 2 qts of fluid and a qt of Lucus stopslip. Done that and it was showing signs of improvment. But at 260 miles the CEL came back on and now it is running like it has a miss. Had it checked and it was #7. Brought it home and tried a couple of the old coils and still have the miss plus the CEL is flashing for a while then steady then start flashing again. Could this indicate a fuel problem. Either a bad sender or injector? I'm just next to being relly po'ed.
Jack

WhenEVER you buy a used car, you ALWAYS assume you have to do maintenance and repair work. Especially a 9 yr old car. If you weren't ready to dive into the problems someone is selling you, you probably should have bought a new car. Assuming you don't have a problem in the block itself, fix this issues and enjoy your new ride. If its inside the block, you have a decision to make. Fix it or Sell it.

Well this car is becoming the prettyist POS I ha e ever bought. I got the trans checked and it was a little low, my mech suggested that we drain it enough and add 2 qts of fluid and a qt of Lucus stopslip. Done that and it was showing signs of improvment. But at 260 miles the CEL came back on and now it is running like it has a miss. Had it checked and it was #7. Brought it home and tried a couple of the old coils and still have the miss plus the CEL is flashing for a while then steady then start flashing again. Could this indicate a fuel problem. Either a bad sender or injector? I'm just next to being relly po'ed.
Jack

Pull #7, clean the plug, re-gap it to 1.0 MM, make sure the coil is good and clipped on correctly and replace. Pull battery for a couple of hours and see if it goes away.

Jack

Get it fully flushed and get that Lucus crap out of there.

I guess I was just spoiled by the MK VIII. I bought it used with 175,000 miles from a individual that sold cars out of her front yard. Fixed the air bags, lower ball joints, redid the headlights. BUT I drove this car for 3 years and the only major thing I had to replace was the rack and pinion. On this car it has been quite the hassle get one thing fixed and something else craps out. Wouldn't that piss you off? I haven't given up on it yet cause I like it and all else is solid. Thanks for the reminder anyway.

Get it fully flushed and get that Lucus crap out of there.

X2. Lucas is a band-aid that you use when you need the trans to live loing enough to save money for a rebuild because you know it's trashed. I've kept several Chevy 4L60Es with worn bands on the road for over a year with a bottle of Lucas and careful driving.

Re: Update

Well bit by bit getting things fixed. Got the miss on #7 fixed. Easy once I figured out that #1 starts on the passenger side and not the drivers. Running good now. Had to add freon to the system. It would start to cool then blow hot then cool again. Took a little hunting but found it behind the drivers side front tire behind a cover just where the sway bar goes through. Added a can and blowing cool now. As for the tranny seeing some difference but not much. Time to start a tranny fund. I don't have the space or a rack to put the car on to pull the trans so I will start looking for someone to do it. On another note on the way in I was going to check the gas mileage, pushed the button and my finger almost goes though the dash. Old plastic gotta love it. Now I need to find a thread to see how to break in to the console.
To everyone out there thanks!! Can't say enough.

On another note on the way in I was going to check the gas mileage, pushed the button and my finger almost goes though the dash. Old plastic gotta love it. Now I need to find a thread to see how to break in to the console.
To everyone out there thanks!! Can't say enough.

Hang in there Fatmac,
You'll work through all the little problems eventually.

I bought mine with the same problem with respect to the "pushed in" buttons.
a soft butter knife and a gentle pry on the sides pops that right out if I recall.

Found mine on the back side to be broken on one side where the screw holds the assy together.

A little glue, dry over night and re install. problem gone.

best of luck with it all.

... and yes, fix one problem, next day, new problem.

~ getting used to it.

What this guy said in this video is exactly what the guy at the shop my dad uses said my problem likely is. So I think I definitely have the shop I'm going to for this issue. He told my dad $1200~1400 for the rebuild (and fix). I think I'll do it.

Members online

Back