Degree of Difficuly

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have to go and change out my rear shocks. I am getting a basketball bounce. So I am wondering if this is something someone has done themselves. I do I don't knonw if I should do It myself or just avoid the agrivation and have it done.

GMAN said:
I have to go and change out my rear shocks. I am getting a basketball bounce. So I am wondering if this is something someone has done themselves. I do I don't knonw if I should do It myself or just avoid the agrivation and have it done.
very easy jus buy mounts too
Eric

Here's the run down. The shocks are held in place with one large lower bolt. The top mount is what is called an "isolator". The top part of the shock is not mounted directly to the car's body. It is mounted to an elevated, rubber-insulated shock mount(Lincoln's way of keeping road noise to a minimum).

Get a friend to help, and its a 15 minute job. Just be sure you buy new upper shock mounts. You will most likely need them, as the rubber busing inside typically wears out at the same rate(or faster than) the shock does.

Did you buy shocks yet?

Re: Degree of Diffulty

I just replace the shocks yesterday. I have to say, it wasn't hard at all. Rude awakening. Only ford sells the upper mounts. Man I had to go 25 miles to get them. Barely made it to the only Ford Dealer that had them in stock. Anyway...Once I got the car up in the air, and pulled back the carpet in the trunk to access the top mounts, I noticed the electrical connectors on top of the shocks. It seems that the factory shocks has a hollow center with some sort of electrical connector in it. What is this supposed to do? The reason I ask, is because I replaced my shocks with aftermarket Monroes. Onces I replacet the shocks, I didn't get any error messages on the info center. Are these connectors essential?

GMAN

Those are what are referred to as "actuators". They trigger the "anti-dive" feature through valving in your(or any) 93-94 Mark VIII.

Lincoln did away with them for the 95 model year. You DONT need them. Either remove them, or leave them back there. Just wire/zip tie them out of the way so they dont rattle around. Dont be surprised if you hear a "click-click" sound 60 seconds after start up...thats your actuators triggering the shock that they are NO LONGER ATTACHED TO!

I have heard some guys buy Cobra shocks. What do you guys think about doing that?

I personally like the 03 cobra convertable shocks.They are damped a little different than the coupe and are a closer match to the weight of the Mark.

thunderbird shox are just about as close to heaven as your gonna get i think. especially in monroe senstracs stays nice and doesnt lose the "airy"feeling

Members online

Back