Decision Time

Should I sell my LS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well my transmission had a few problems, but I bet it wouldn't have been a bad with a new PCM.

This mess has got me depressed, I may cut my losses either way now. I just need to walk away.

If you've already dumped the money into it to rebuild the trans, what's another $160? That's what SIA charges for the PCM rebuild. They also give a 1 year warranty and cover shipping. You also don't need to have the PCM re-programmed if it comes out of your car. It's only another $160 - if that's the problem.

Seems like a part someone should still be selling. I wonder what all they replace for $160? I can do most surface mount soldering myself.

$2400 for the transmission repair. Plus whatever I'll have to pay for the PCM. I wonder if I can get $4k for the car if I sell it...

Seems like a part someone should still be selling. I wonder what all they replace for $160? I can do most surface mount soldering myself.

$2400 for the transmission repair. Plus whatever I'll have to pay for the PCM. I wonder if I can get $4k for the car if I sell it...

There are a lot of parts no longer available for this car. Remember it hasn't been built in about 10 years. They apparently rebuild the circuitry inside the PCM, don't ask me how. My repair slip says this, verbatim " removed and repaired 2 transmission circuits. Bench test PCM performs as new." That's it lol

I'm guessing someone had investigated the compatibility with the jag computer?

I watched a video and a guy said the coils can destroy some transitors inside the computer, I'm not surprised by that... But what could happen to cause the transmission controls to go bad?

We all know living with this car isn't merely fixing what's broken now. I replaced the driver window regulator last year just a couple months before the transmission failed. When I first got it, I put roughly $1700 into repairing miscellaneous things like door locks. I put a new set of tires on it the year before last (which I will exclude as a repair, but money none the less) and I've replaced the DCCV when I replaced the thermostat... The reservoir degas bottle hasn't been replaced yet either...

Last edited:
I've almost matched the $5400 purchase price in repairs after this transmission, and the car has sat about 6 month each of the 3 years we've had it. I think we've put about 13,000 miles on the car since I bought it in 2012.

Well if it means anything, I voted for you to get rid of it when you created this thread. Also, I don't think Jaguar computers will work as even computers from different year LS's won't work. Also, I believe the coils are what causes those circuits to go bad, the transmission ones. Lastly, I would highly recommend (just a recommendation) that you put the PCM rebuild into place, get the car running right and sell it ASAP. The car is worth literally nothing as it is right now, unless you part it. To even break even you have to get it running right.

I went through exactly what you are going through a short time ago. Now that my car is running right, a few minor things to do - I'm going to look to sell it, and if I can't I'll just garage it until I can.

I'm guessing someone had investigated the compatibility with the jag computer?...

Different sensors, and depending on the year, different valve timing controls and even a different transmission.

I was going to do some mods to the car... I guess it's lucky I stopped at the K&N and the remote start alarm. If I had put a ton of money into it, it would be harder for me to part with. But I think you're right jjcool00, I just need to get it going and sell it while I can.

I guess you can consider it a blessing that there aren't many mods you CAN do to the LS.

Well, most of what I was going to do would have been in technology inside the car. The same company that slaved 5 days to make sure the remote start alarm was just right said they could put two 8s in the rear to replace the non functional 6x9s... I was going to get a radio with Android auto to replace the factory radio which hasn't played CDs since we bought it, and put nice speakers and amps in it. I was also going to change the front bumper and grille to the '06.

As long as there are T-Birds and old people in Florida, there will be parts for the LS.

He probably says that because they're breaking the same parts we're breaking.

Yup. With a few body exceptions a discontinued part for the LS is a discontinued part for the 'Bird. I have the last, AFAIK, new HID driver's side headlight. They are no longer available from Ford/Lincoln.

I dunno what all they replace but jjcool00 seems to have had good luck with them, and I sent my PCM off to them this week so I too will soon be able to post my results with them. I am also taking the precaution of replacing the COPs and plugs at the same time, since it's supposedly RF interference from the COPs that causes the PCM to fail to begin with. Course, I won't have mine for long. As soon as my housing situation is squared away the LS is gone. I'm thinking I might swap it even for a Corolla for a daily driver since my commute is about to be 40 miles one way, then get something for a nice car for the weekends. Keeping my truck, of course.

Yup. With a few body exceptions a discontinued part for the LS is a discontinued part for the 'Bird. I have the last, AFAIK, new HID driver's side headlight. They are no longer available from Ford/Lincoln.
There is a Ford dealer I get parts from. Any part in common with the T-Bird they have in a big warehouse somewhere toward Ocala. The parts manager says they are absolutely loaded with product. I can request a part in the AM and have it the same afternoon. I know that doesn't help those looking for headlight assemblies though.

And PCMs, or shocks/struts (whatever), or pretty much anything else...

said they could put two 8s in the rear to replace the non functional 6x9s...

You rang?

2014-08-02 19.45.21.jpg

2014-08-02 19.45.21.jpg

That's awesome... I was going to have them make it look as factory as possible too.

Im just going to give up on this dream. I've loved the LS since they announced it when I was in High School. I had a brochure before the car was even released, back when dealerships made real car brochures with paint samples, etc... Not just references to their website. We're already planning to sell it once we get it back.

My wife was like (as this was mainly her commuter) I need a fast, good looking, and fuel efficient car... I told her for this price range I can do all except fast. Lol It's not common to come across cars of this price range with looks and somewhat fast. The new grocery getters are faster, but cost much more even used. I've had a little fun, but it would have been great to have the car for a while with a working transmission.

Members online

No members online now.
Back