Dealer Service dept and non-OEM parts

mharrison

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This is not a Lincoln question, but I thought I'd see what you guys think. I have a '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse with a 420A engine (2.0 4-cylinder) and it is not under warranty.

I have a miss on cylinder #2 that I've been chasing. (P0302).
I've replaced:
1. Plugs
2. Wires
3. Coil
4. Fuel Injector
5. Fuel Filter

I have been unable to find the miss, but when swapping plugs or wires between #2 & #3 the miss stays with #2. I can't find a vacuum leak anywhere. I gave up and put it in the Mitsubishi Dealer's shop.

I called them today and they want to replace all of this because it is non-OEM. The guy said that Mitsubishi's don't respond well to after-market parts. I'm a little pissed off about that as it seems they are not really working the problem. It seems to me that they just want to throw parts at it.

What do you guys think?

i have always in the past replaced parts with non oem parts, plugs, wires, brake pads, etc... have never had a problem where they told me it was because of that. What about all the non oem parts they make for the lancer and eclipse when all these youngens make their cars into rally cars?? I think they are trying to screw you, just my opinion.

i have always in the past replaced parts with non oem parts, plugs, wires, brake pads, etc... have never had a problem where they told me it was because of that. What about all the non oem parts they make for the lancer and eclipse when all these youngens make their cars into rally cars?? I think they are trying to screw you, just my opinion.

I agree... Just argue with them and tell them its bogus. Just take it to a good independent mechanic.

I have been driving Mitsubishi's for over 10 years and I would agree with the dealer. Mitsu's do not respond well to non oem parts. That being said your car does not actually have a Mitsubishi engine. The 420a is made by Chrysler and was used in the Eclipse/Talon and also the Avenger I believe (probably more also).

As for your problem I can't really help as I've never owned a car with the 420a motor. Sorry.

Sounds like bull to me. The miss should swap around with the parts if they're defective. Sounds to me like a problem with the ignition coil.
Or worst case, the cylinder itself. But test the coil first.

It sounds like a coil or the mechanical parts of the engine. I had the same problem with my old wrx. I was getting a mis on cyc#3 and i tried all my buddys parts on my car and the miss stayed on the same cyc. so i compresstion tested it BINGO it was at like 15psi. and all the rest were at like 110psi. so i dont know if i scorched the valve seat of f-ed up the piston its self. i put it back to gether and traded it in on the lincoln i have know. from this.....

chris wrx 002_edited.jpg

does the car have coil packs or coil on plug? Either way, did you check all of the wires to the pack/coil on plug unit (possible short)?

a couple more ideas:
Swap injectors
compression test
don't buy chrysler 4-bangers anymore :-D

It has a coil pack. The coil pack tests fine. The wiring all tests OK. I have NO IDEA. Anyway, the car is now with an old roommate of mine who is an ASE certified mechanic. I have every confidence that he'll get it fixed.

not to discredit your mechanical aptitude but... did you make sure the plugs were gaped correctly and you don't have a leak in your plug wire?

Sometimes it's the most obvious things

Members online

No members online now.
Back