Dealer Pinstripes?

nashmage

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2000 silver ls v8 and it has the front and rear bumper chrome lips and it doesnt have the chrome going down the doors. Something i noticed that i didnt really like is that just on the left and right of the hood their are little red and black pinstripes. I asked the dealer if he did it because i had never seen that before stock but he said it was already like that when he got it. Is that like a package deal or is he just lying to me because i said i didnt like it? Could i just take that off without ruining the paint under it?

nashmage said:
Just bought a 2000 silver ls v8 and it has the front and rear bumper chrome lips and it doesnt have the chrome going down the doors. Something i noticed that i didnt really like is that just on the left and right of the hood their are little red and black pinstripes. I asked the dealer if he did it because i had never seen that before stock but he said it was already like that when he got it. Is that like a package deal or is he just lying to me because i said i didnt like it? Could i just take that off without ruining the paint under it?

Yeah actually i've seen a few in my area with pinstripes, if i'm not mistaken i think the dealer adds that as an option because i've seen some new ones int he lot with pin stripes too... Someone correct me if i'm wrong.... as far as taking it off yes you can but it might leave a glue residue which can easily be takin off with a paint thinner like substance (i know i know paint thinner is like leathal but my body shop around here actually used it on my Camry to remove glue from a pinstripe and it worked quite well you just cant rub too hard and it also strips the wax thats on the car. I dont know if it was striaght up paint thinner but he said it was just like it.) I'll probably get made fun of for that one ;)

I was kind of angry with the dealer because it looked like whoever did it cut the ends with a razor and it cut into the paint a little so im going to assume he told me he didnt do it because i mentioned that.

nashmage said:
I was kind of angry with the dealer because it looked like whoever did it cut the ends with a razor and it cut into the paint a little so im going to assume he told me he didnt do it because i mentioned that.

o that sux... how long have you had the car? tell the dealer you want that fixed... thats definately something they should be taking care of...

i just signed the papers thats why im going to talk to them about it. Im just going to go in today and talk to the guy and see what he has to say about it and ask him nicely to take them off. It shouldnt be that big of a deal to him. The car is in amazing condition once i get it and get my sister to let me borrow her digital camera ill post some pictures.

There is no guarantee that he will remove the stripes AFTER you signed the papers. He's a USED dealer for crying out loud. Mine came with white pin striping on it. Not a big fan, but what the hell.... Doesn't look too bad.

There is a cool tool called a Pinstripe eraser. It is a rubber wheel you put on your drill and it basically rubs the stripe right off - smells really bad but I removed a crappy pinstripe job on my my Black 90 TC - used two of these wheels. I burned a couple of spots but easily polished them out with compound and wax.

I got the wheels through a body shop supply house but I think larger autoparts chain stores might have one. $5.00 if I remember correctly.

Oh and a new car dealership would prob take care of it (they want your continued business - parts, repair, etc), used car dealer- fat chance - unless they have a full shop and want the continued business.

Its a huge lincoln dealership and the guy i bought it from seemed really nice so im sure if i asked he wouldnt mind doing it for me. If not then ill just do it myself.

Mine had pinstripes. I took them off about two months ago because they were junk. I put a different pinstripe back on, because I really like the look of pinstripes. Mine didn't leave any paint discoloration at all, didn't even have to wax it. After I removed it, I just sprayed on some Goo-Gone and the excess glue came right off.

i got pinstripes with mine and i hated them (Black car, Brown pinstripe) i just peeled it of little by little with my fingernail didnt mess up the paint under or anything but i guess it was a cheap pinstripe

Members online

No members online now.
Back