Dead Lincoln Fan

plowman

LVC Member
Reaction score
The Lincoln fan in me is now dead. If anyone has a reason for me to keep my piece of shiit LS, speak now or forever hold your peace. I saw incredible potential with this car, but all it has done for me, is cost me money. I got a few looks, I won't lie, but it's not worth the thousands that it's cost me and lost me. I would not sell it to my worst enemy. I like the idea of keeping the money in our own economy, but I think our manufacturer's need to quit building and selling SHIIT. Their service isn't much better. I know all cars will cost money and not run correctly at some point, but this is ridiculous. I have friend's with Catera's that have less problems, for shiit sakes.

The List:
In 22,000 miles of premium fuel, synthetic oil changes, washes twice a week, lubing of joints and tightening of nuts and bolts, rotating of tires, replacing fluids and all other meticulous care...here is what I've gotten:

-Blown Torque Converter and joint.
-Shorted air bags
-Worn tires after 10k of gentle driving (not 1 squeel of the rubber)
-Piss-Poor alignment and blown bushings
-Worn brakes after 10k
-More knocks and pings than a kettle band
-A worn shock absorber
-4 Coils gone at different times
-Valves gaskets leaking like a seive
-2 Faulty Fuel injectors
-1 whistle from 19 year-old blonde
-10+ migraine headaches

So what will it be...Audi, Acura or Lexus? I hear they make cars that don't suck.

now all u need is 2 turtle doves and a... dont give up. uve gotten this far and fixed this much y turn back now.

I agree with itsnotmydaddys. You have pretty much crossed every bridge so why take the chance with another car.

Get another car you deserve something that runs better than that.

If it were mine I'd have been long gone.

I've been very lucky with mine. One window regulator, a hose leak (fixed under warantee), a set of brake pads (71,000 miles), two rounded lug nuts, a set of tires (38,000 miles), a set of snow tires (30,000 miles), oil, filters, and wipers.

It is too early in my experience with this car to defend it, but you are going to have some lemons while the majority are fine.

My 2004 needed the transmission torn down and repaired under warranty at about 15K miles. This is really bad in my mind, but appears to not be uncommon. Hope that when they fixed it, it is fixed for good. This is a bad start in my opinion.

Looks like to me some of your problems are related or worsened by common issues.

The alignment is a significant problem which may have contributed to a handfull of your other problems. If you are improperly aligned, you can have all kinds of problems with brakes suspension and tires. If you got your car new from the factory it should have been reasonably close to properly aligned. Wearing tires in 10K is a symptom of major alignment or inflation problems. Alignment can be knocked out if you hit curbs or speed bumps out of habit, otherwise something is wrong.

The coils are related to leaky valve gaskets according to the reading on this web I have done.

For fuel injectors to die within 22K miles is absurd. Was your car new when you got it or did it have some fair miles? It is possible that you had infant mortailty on the injectors but normally I don't expect problems until you hit over 100K.

Knocks and pings can be caused by bad injectors or ignition, so this may be a side effect of your other problems.

The migraines are probably user error, you got to stop banging your head on the airbag, thank god they were shorted.

Sorry you may have a lemon. I am mixed on keeping it since who knows what else might be wrong. If it is a relatively new car you will probably take a beating on depreciation. Wasn't this stuff fixed under warranty?

Other brands have their problems, don't let anyone tell you that their brand is perfect, otherwise why are there so many Honda, Acura, Audi whatever shops out there. For quite a while there Acuras were having their cams fail on them, that's bad, Audis were notorious for unreliability last time I had any interest, Lexus is pretty good but there are plenty of repair shops for them, BMWs have been known to suck cash from your pockets. My biggest laugh was my dad buying a Mercedes 560SEL years back and having the tranny blow and the engine leak oil all over the place, what happend to quality on that $100K car?

All cars have good and bad examples. You probably got a bad one. If you have the bucks, buy a nice new car and let the dealer deal with glitches, so far my Lincoln dealer has taken good care of me with my one major problem in the 3K miles I have owned the car.

BTW if you used the same shop all the time, it might be time to look for a better shop. Your problems sound related and should have been sorted out without costing you too much. Bad shop do exactly what your email reads like, "fix this but not that til next time, I guess it will work".

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

8 window regulators
3 solenoid pack
1 valve body
2 drivers seat heating elements
Valve cover gaskets
pcv valve and tube replacement
6 coils
IAC
EGR
2 O2 sensors
1 drivers side door handle
trunk latch
2 tag lights
25 lug nuts
1 AC compressor and clutch coil

I am sure that I am leaving something out. I was in the same boat but I have to say now that I have all that BS behind me the only way I could be any happier is if the car were new again. It runs as great if not better now. I have taken charge of repairing my car when I can and I have to say all is well. The support online is great and fear buying another new car and possibly having to go through the same BS all over agin.

1 window regulator
1 plastic thingy that holds on the window to regulator (different door)
PCM reflashed many times
8 coil packs
Both Valve Cover Gaskets
Leaking trunk
Connection for remote trunk release
1 Liscence plate light
Some bolt in front end sheared
Brakes

I still love my car and wouldn't trade it for a European "sports car". I'll drive it until it drops dead.

eL eS said:
8 window regulators
3 solenoid pack
1 valve body
Valve cover gaskets
6 coils
IAC
EGR
2 O2 sensors
trunk latch
2 tag lights
25 lug nuts
gosh darn el es 25 lug nuts thats rediculous....To the fellow lvc member that started this thread...you have a lemon. There are plenty of other lvc members that have little to no problems with thier lincolns I am guessing the car is used and the previous owner must have beat the HELL out of the car. yes the ls is considered a high maintanence car but as for buying an Audi HA! audi is the most expensive car to keep up with. The price for parts are rediculous, The cost to fix all those things on your ls is probably the price to fix one thing on the Audi. If I were you I would try a later model ls but thats because :L

I started out with replacing the old lugs with new oems in 01 which were ruined after the first brake job. SO I bought a set of cdc wheels and they came with new lugs so really it was a direct out of pocket expense but the old lugs had to go any way.

I stick with my recommendation of staying with the car sounds like the foul weather is behind you. I have been in the same postion many times and speak from unwanted but sound experience.

plowman said:
The Lincoln fan in me is now dead. If anyone has a reason for me to keep my piece of shiit LS, speak now or forever hold your peace. I saw incredible potential with this car, but all it has done for me, is cost me money. I got a few looks, I won't lie, but it's not worth the thousands that it's cost me and lost me. I would not sell it to my worst enemy. I like the idea of keeping the money in our own economy, but I think our manufacturer's need to quit building and selling SHIIT. Their service isn't much better. I know all cars will cost money and not run correctly at some point, but this is ridiculous. I have friend's with Catera's that have less problems, for shiit sakes.

The List:
In 22,000 miles of premium fuel, synthetic oil changes, washes twice a week, lubing of joints and tightening of nuts and bolts, rotating of tires, replacing fluids and all other meticulous care...here is what I've gotten:

-Blown Torque Converter and joint.
-Shorted air bags
-Worn tires after 10k of gentle driving (not 1 squeel of the rubber)
-Piss-Poor alignment and blown bushings
-Worn brakes after 10k
-More knocks and pings than a kettle band
-A worn shock absorber
-4 Coils gone at different times
-Valves gaskets leaking like a seive
-2 Faulty Fuel injectors
-1 whistle from 19 year-old blonde
-10+ migraine headaches

So what will it be...Audi, Acura or Lexus? I hear they make cars that don't suck.

Sorry about all of your misfortune. If you're really thinking about getting a new car one thing to think about in addition to what everyone else has said about the possiblity of getting another lemon is:

Ford makes Lincoln
Volkswagon makes Audi
Honda makes Acura
Toyota makes Lexus
(I think this is correct)

My point is that since Audi, Acura, and Lexus do have reputations as being reliable cars it may be hard to choose between them. So if you're sure that you want to give up on the LS then decide would you rather have a Volkswagon, a Honda, or a Toyota. This may make your decision a little easier. Honestly the only reason I chose the LS over a Lexus is that Lexi have become common, you see them everywhere, but only every now and again do you see a LS (well at least in my neck of the woods).

-B

Well cars can have problems.
A friend of mine only owns audi's.

His damn cars are in the shop more than my stangs and I beat on them

Then there is cost, Lincoln is a premium domestic car, I can pretty much garantee that you would have paid twice as much in parts costs for the others.

But then again, there is some issue with your maintenance as well. When the tires wore out quickly why didn't you make the shop diagnos the problem?

Unless the tires were total sh!te then they should have lasted longer than 10k.

you could buy any of those other cars, but unless you take a good long look at yourself and what you do when things happen, you will not be happy with them either.

Jeez!!!!!!!! Go back to the future------------

I picked up my '96 Mark VIII with 94K on it and now have 140K on it. Other than oil changes and tyres all I've had to replace are the front air bags, which falls into normal maintenance for this buggy. Yeah the headlights suck, but I've had cars with worse (my ROVER 2000 comes to mind). Go give one a test drive and look at the price, you'll want two!

Hmm, valve cover gaskets, trans PCM reflash (warranty), licence plate lamp loose (warranty), squeeky front door regulators (warranty). Other than that, oil, filters, tires, regular maintenance stuff.

So the only thing that wasn't covered under warranty was the valve cover gaskets. And my LS is one of those early, crappy, problem plagued 2000s. Not bad if you ask me.

Sounds like you either got a lemon, or inherited a wrecked car from a privious owner who didn't take care of it.

eL eS said:
8 window regulators
3 solenoid pack
1 valve body
Valve cover gaskets
6 coils
IAC
EGR
2 O2 sensors
trunk latch
2 tag lights
25 lug nuts

I am sure that I am leaving something out. I was in the same boat but I have to say now that I have all that BS behind me the only way I could be any happier is if the car were new again. It runs as great if not better now. I have taken charge of repairing my car when I can and I have to say all is well. The support online is great and fear buying another new car and possibly having to go through the same BS all over agin.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add two fuel pumps and a rear electronic module :) and 120 days in the shop for this repair.

eL eS said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to add two fuel pumps and a rear electronic module :) and 120 days in the shop for this repair.

Did you say 120 days in the shop!???? You could have had a 600 c.i. bigblock fanagled in there in that timeframe! That is unreal!

My dealer told me to get rid of my car (parts department) after seeing me for the 10th time. I have a dedicated sales rep at this point. :) I own two LSs, so they know me well. I stuck with it and still have them both. These cars are pretty expensive to keep up, especially if the previous owner didn't take care of it.

If you don't like the car and you can break even, get rid of it and get a more simple car. If you are in deep, that is tougher. I REALLY appreciate my Mustang GTS when I get in it now. "Power-friggen-nothing" Not too many things to break and an easy to work on 302 that gets the same gas mileage as my LS.

I really understand your frustration though. Best of luck on whatever you decide.

eL eS said:
no lie over 120 consecutive days for troubleshooting.

BIG OUCH!!! OMG I would have went insane by then! They could have built an entire car from the ground up from spare parts in the back by then! I hope you were satisfied with whatever work was done, after that.

1.8 coil packs
2.Brakes/Rotars
3.20 lug nuts
4.Door Handle
5.Leaking Trunk
6. Broke Sun roof
7.1 Ball joint
8.1cadillac converter
9.Two Alignments
Another Ball joint to come

rocket5979 said:
BIG OUCH!!! OMG I would have went insane by then! They could have built an entire car from the ground up from spare parts in the back by then! I hope you were satisfied with whatever work was done, after that.

Indeed I was./am.

Wow. And me too.

eL eS said:
I would have let them keep the car long before 120 days without it unless they had me in a free loaner. My dealer 'lets' me rent a discounted town car but still have to pay tax and insurance totalling over $25 per day.

My experience in 38,000 miles (all but 1500 of them are mine):
2 Valve cover gaskets
16 spark plugs
8 coil packs
Trans flash (how many times...God only knows) Still shifts like shi!t
Window regulator
Cracked exhaust manifold
Rattling speaker - worsening by the day
Idle control valve
Steering column clicks since day one - dealer balked at fixing
License Plate lights (finally fixed myself with 2 sided foam tape)
Tires. Repeatedly
Died 3 times today at idle with guests in car. Nice.
Still have over 2000 miles to go to get to 1 mile per dollar of sticker price. Forget the repair costs and frustration.

Members online

No members online now.
Back