Dead battery, then CEL?

oandtmaster

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i left my xm radio plugged into the cig lighter under the arm rest. 2 days later the battery was completely dead. i jumped it and it runs fine, but the check engine light came on. i brought it to autozone to get the code, but they said since it was snowing, i'd have to come back later. they didn't want there scanner getting wet.
i left my house today to get the code read, and it was gone. any ideas what it could be?
2005 ls v8 17k miles

Hmmm....I've had a LOT of dead batteries and done a lot of jump starting on the LS. I never ended up with a CEL though. It's possible that it's unrelated to the battery.

when i bought the car, i think someone said something about a battery rundown protection?

Even though your light has gone off, the code is still in memory, and it will stay there for several start/run/stop cycles. You can still have the code read out. Then there would be no need to guess about it.

In most cases when the CEL is activated, the PCM stores a code which can be read later by a scanner even after the light goes off.

The LS does have rundown protection on certain circuits like exterior lights, and some of the functions that are done through a control module like the power seats, but I don't think the cigar lighter is one of them.

also i noticed that the drivers window auto-up feature no longer works. auto-down works for driver, and both work for passenger. any ideas? i'll head to autozone tomorrow to get the codes read, thanks.

also i noticed that the drivers window auto-up feature no longer works. auto-down works for driver, and both work for passenger. any ideas? i'll head to autozone tomorrow to get the codes read, thanks.

Easy to fix

Using the window control switch

CAUTION: Make sure there are no obstructions present in the window system when carrying out this procedure.

1. Press and hold the window control switch in the UP position at the second detent until the window glass stalls into the glass top run. Once the top run is reached, hold the window control switch in the UP position at the second detent for an additional 2 seconds.

2. Test for correct window operation by performing the one-touch down and the one-touch up features.

NOTE: Excessive bounce-back (bounce-back that occurs with no obstructions present) may indicate a non-initialized window motor.

NOTE: The front window motors must be initialized whenever: the motor is removed from the window regulator, a new motor is installed, a new window regulator is installed, a new window glass is installed, a glass top run removal and installation and when carrying out any operation in which grease or lubricants are applied to the window system. A new front window motor is in a proportional up/down mode until initialized.

NOTE: All front window components (window glass, window regulator, window motor and glass top run) must be installed and tightened to specification before carrying out this procedure.

NOTE: If this procedure is only partially completed, the front window motor remains non-initialized and only the proportional up/down functions will operate. A non-initialized window motor may allow one-touch down operation, but does NOT allow one-touch up operation.

NOTE: If the one-touch up does not function after three attempts using the window control switch initialization method, especially if false bounce back occurs, perform the Door Window Motor Initialization using the diagnostic tool.

Using the diagnostic tool

CAUTION: Make sure there are no obstructions present in the window system when carrying out this procedure.

CAUTION: Bounce-back is disabled during this procedure.

NOTE: This procedure terminates without initialization if a corresponding window switch is pressed before stall is reached.

3. Carry out the window calibration self-test using the diagnostic tool.

4. After stalling into the header seals, the front windows will move to the full open position.

5. Test for correct window operation by attempting the one-touch down and the one-touch up features.

to be completely honest, i didn't read the whole thing. its not that the window goes up then stops, it doesn't go up unless i hold my finger on the button the whole time. if that's clear at all? it may sound lazy...it is.

to be completely honest, i didn't read the whole thing. its not that the window goes up then stops, it doesn't go up unless i hold my finger on the button the whole time. if that's clear at all? it may sound lazy...it is.

The short version...

Press the up window button all the way down and hold it for at least two seconds after the window is fully up.

After this, auto-up will work for you.

Are you serious? That's all it takes? I had my car in the shop for the same thing and they replaced the window regulator. Who knows though, perhaps they performed the test outlined above and it failed. Either way, it was covered under warranty.

Any news on the CEL/dead battery?

not yet. i fixed the window while dropping my son off at school. couldn't've been easier. have'nt had the chance to get to autozone to get the codes pulled yet.

Members online

No members online now.
Back