Dazed and Confused about the rear sway bar link Kit ...

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The more I research the rear suspension on my 2001 LS sport, the more confused I get does this car really have rear tie rods or is the stabilizer bar called multiple names I quit reading forums on this subject because my head is spinning I will be posting pics soon what I actually need to replace in hopes that the senior forum members can help me out...Thank you in advance for anyone who can help me buy the right parts

Last edited:
Rear sway bar has "end links".
Rear has two separate part numbers for a Left and Right unit. Front sway bar end links, share same part number. One fits either side. Buy MOOG end links, thicker design, more robust and has grease fittings.

Rear toe adjust links or also known as lateral links. OEM supplies "Rear Passive Steer" feature, comprised of a dampened flexible joint midways up the bar. It allows for a small amount of flex in the rear wheels while cornering. Threaded rod with jam nut provides the ability to align rear wheels parallel to front wheels.

OEM is currently best choice.
DEEZA's no longer available.
Rimmerbro UK JAG aftermarket have proven faulty and dangerous. Despite mine being Ok, we can no longer recommend.

Avoid DP brand on all suspension parts or entire kits. Highly dangerous. Google reviews all make n models.

GLWR
~ Sorry, am mobile.

No year Lincoln LS was ever produced with rear tie rods.

Clear, precise and straight to the point thanks for the clarification Rigs. I like Moog so that's good news ....Thanks again

Don't make the same mistake I made by pulling both rear end links from its packaging and not keeping track which was which. Unnecessary wasted time was spent reviewing pics and such to determine correct sides due to the angles of each units. Comparing them to the old OEM's that came out was useless aswell.

You see, I stripped my 01 Sports entire suspension and was done over the spread of several weeks. When I went to put these new MOOG end links on, it was one of those WTF? ... imma a dummy moment.

At the very least I did notch n mark the springs and shocks. Upper and lower control arms sides were easily identified.

The end links ... compare the part numbers on the boxes to remain correct side compliant. Grrrrrr, time well wasted. :mad:

tnj4p1myre1mpff12w4j1llndmc.png
Almost gone
LINCOLN LS REAR SWAY BAR LINK LINKS TORQUE TIE ROD RODS SET LEFT + RIGHT 4 pcs This is the eBay ad I found which really confused me and yes good lookin out I will definitely mark the sway bars with right and left etching thanks again Rigs I just ordered the Moogs on Rockauto $59.00 +shipping not bad for a part with a "gusher" sounds like these will work well it will be so nice not to hear the clunking when going over rough spots on the road

No year Lincoln LS was ever produced with rear tie rods.

This is true, but some places call the rear toe links tie rods, just as some places call the coil over shocks struts and some places call the COPs coil packs, and so on...

it will be so nice not to hear the clunking when going over rough spots

Couple of things here to keep in mind.

1) if up front slight light "thumping" sounds when going over uneven road surfaces, it could most likely be the front sway bar bushings. The rubber hardens up over the years and when the sway bar needs to "absorb" it end up banging within the bushing.

2) if it's rear clunking or clicking noises over rough road surfaces, it's most likely the upper control arms.
Squeaking sound in the rear is always the lower control arm rubber dried out bushings, clicking, ticking or clunking noises are always the upper control arms in the rear.

The end links and lateral links could make such clunking noises but generally is not loud enough to notice.
If they are worn badly, there'd be a lot of play but they don't tend to make such a noise that you would notice.
It's more of a visual thing, as in, jack the car up and shimmy the wheel to see the movement and observation of the play in the joints. Potentially wouldn't make any noise, just free play.

If you'd looking to hunt down rear end suspension noises like that "clunking" ... I'd be looking at inspecting the upper control arms.

Jack the rear end up, shimmy the wheel 9-3 o'clock and 12-6 o'clock ... rock it back and forth hard. observe free-play. Visually observe joint on control arm.

GLWR

This is true, but some places call the rear toe links tie rods, just as some places call the coil over shocks struts and some places call the COPs coil packs, and so on...

... Not near a perfect world but suggested to only trust those that know of what they speak.

At the very least I did notch n mark the springs and shocks.

Correction:
Marked far most mounting hole to stud coming out, new Sport shocks and Eibach springs went in.

Couple of things here to keep in mind.

1) if up front slight light "thumping" sounds when going over uneven road surfaces, it could most likely be the front sway bar bushings. The rubber hardens up over the years and when the sway bar needs to "absorb" it end up banging within the bushing.

2) if it's rear clunking or clicking noises over rough road surfaces, it's most likely the upper control arms.
Squeaking sound in the rear is always the lower control arm rubber dried out bushings, clicking, ticking or clunking noises are always the upper control arms in the rear.

The end links and lateral links could make such clunking noises but generally is not loud enough to notice.
If they are worn badly, there'd be a lot of play but they don't tend to make such a noise that you would notice.
It's more of a visual thing, as in, jack the car up and shimmy the wheel to see the movement and observation of the play in the joints. Potentially wouldn't make any noise, just free play.

If you'd looking to hunt down rear end suspension noises like that "clunking" ... I'd be looking at inspecting the upper control arms.

Jack the rear end up, shimmy the wheel 9-3 o'clock and 12-6 o'clock ... rock it back and forth hard. observe free-play. Visually observe joint on control arm.

GLWR

Had a shop flush all my fluids and clean fuel system. Rotated my tires and I had asked while they did, if they could help me pinpoint the squeaking I was hearing. I mostly heard it up front but could also hear it in the back drivers side, especially over speed bumps. They said I needed sway bar end links.

If I'm understanding you correctly, the sway bar end links wouldn't be making a squeaking noise? Would the upper control arms in the front squeak? The boots are visually busted over the ball joint.
TIA

Sorry for the late reply.

Sure, end links and lateral links are part of the suspension components and are subject to rot and dry out as much as other parts.

"sway bar end links wouldn't be making a squeaking noise?"

it's not that they can't, it just not as prominent compared to Control arm bushings flexing.
visually you should be able to determine that they need replacing. It'll also feel real loose and sloppy on the roadway. An alignment shop wouldn't take it.

... it all get's old and dry-rotted.

I'd certainly start with fresh front swaybar bushings and end links.
Any squeaking noises after that would be control arm bushings.

Hey Rig. I appreciate the reply, regardless of time!
So, they also said the front upper control arm showed no play on either side. Though the boots on both are busted. Not sure if that means they'll fail soon? Mechanic didn't mention anything up front, maybe I'll get a second opinion. I'll need to do the rear sway bar links because I was told the bushings were shot and likely the squeak I'm hearing. And yes, the sloppy feeling you mentioned, I feel that. Could I be feeling that just from the rear end links? Or maybe they missed something up front...

Again, the help is very appreciated.
Sorry for the late reply.

Sure, end links and lateral links are part of the suspension components and are subject to rot and dry out as much as other parts.

"sway bar end links wouldn't be making a squeaking noise?"

it's not that they can't, it just not as prominent compared to Control arm bushings flexing.
visually you should be able to determine that they need replacing. It'll also feel real loose and sloppy on the roadway. An alignment shop wouldn't take it.

... it all get's old and dry-rotted.

I'd certainly start with fresh front swaybar bushings and end links.
Any squeaking noises after that would be control arm bushings.

they also said the front upper control arm showed no play on either side. Though the boots on both are busted.

Let's be serious when we speak of aging suspension systems.

All that creaking, squeaking, clicking, thumping when the car moves, can be a number of things, specially when rotten rubber boots and hard cracked dry bushings are evident.

Your rear toe adjust rod / lateral links are near all that holds your rear wheels straight.
This LS has rear passive steer on the rear. Have a look at the lower control arms for the rear.

Take that one part away and the rear wheels are flopping around.

--> at a very minimum,

1) check front sway bar bushing. (rear upper sway bar bushings tend to last)
2) replace both front and rear sway bar end links.
3) check balljoints.
4) replace rear 'passive steer' lateral links. (toe adjust)

5) inspect/replace control arms/bushings. ($$$)

6) four wheel alignment.

it's my experience, the worst squeak you're going to get is from the control arm bushings.

Members online

No members online now.
Back