Daytime Running Lights

1989 Mark 7

LVC Member
Reaction score
I heard that some gen 2 Mark VIII's have daytime running lights. I know that the lights come on automaticly but never known them to have DTRL :V

i actually need to install DTR in the 94 mark i just imported - anyone know how easy this is to do?

Jibit said:
I think only the canadian versions had dtrl

yeah, i imported an american car to canada, so if anyone has any idea of an easy way to do this (i have heard it;s just a relay) i am all ears.

67Continental said:
yeah, i imported an american car to canada, so if anyone has any idea of an easy way to do this (i have heard it;s just a relay) i am all ears.

I'll look in my manual when I get home to see if I can find a schematic

You will need the DRL Resistor, and the DRL Module. I do not think you will need the wiring harness because the factory usually runs all the wiring it will need no matter what.

What I would do is call Max at 5 Star Ford and see if he can get those parts, and I can help you with where you need to look to put those parts into the car. Max's number is 1-800-866-1520 ext. 236.
:Beer

ditto...

The wiring should be there, just the 'module'(relay) and the resistor. I've never personally looked at my '93 to see if that's so, but I know the wiring diagram shows the wiring/harness plugs for the DRLs.

Ok, i had the DTRL installed by Ford, but now i get the "check exterior lights" warning from time to time. it's really irritating - what can I do?

The quick and dirty way is to snip a wire. If someone else doesn't chime in, I'll look it up in the manual at home.

From the '93 EVTM, the lamp out warning module communicates to the message center via circuit 130(red wire with light green stripe). Pins 5, 7 & 8 of connector C227 of the lamp out warning module are connected to splice S273 and continues on to pin 6 of the message center connector C246 - the lamp out warning input.

so if i cut the circuit 130 wire it should work? will the computer interpret the lack of communication as a light failure?

67Continental said:
so if i cut the circuit 130 wire it should work? will the computer interpret the lack of communication as a light failure?

Yes, it should work.

No, the lack of communication between the modules should not be interpreted as a light failure. If it follows operational characteristics of other systems, the 'trigger' wire is switched to ground causing a warning to be given. I tried to find definitive language of such operation in the EVTM but could not.

You could play it safe and sever the wire in a easy place to allow reconnection. :wrench

thanks for your help. you don't happen to have a diagram, or know where I could find the wire under the hood do you?

Members online

Back