Daytime Running Fogs w/ Night Functionality (AKA: Relay Fun)

Elemino

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This week the remote start alarm will be installed on the LS. It unfortunately brings up an issue when dealing with the fogs. They flash with the park lights (as alarms do not use the signal circuit). That meas its time again for RELAY FUN!!!

Ok, its not really that much fun. lol But not only is it my desired effect, it's a necessity, and it makes the vehicle more visible to day time drivers. I will be following the same path as before. So here's what I did on the Navigator:

Lincoln Navigator Relay Fun - Daytime Running Fogs - YouTube

Notice when the park lights switch on, the fogs switch off. This is showing the retention of night time functionality.

Reasons For Project:

1. HID fog lights flashed when alarm was armed, disarmed, or set off. (Due to the fact the fog lights are directly tied to the park lights)

2. Increased Visibility. Though a silver 6.5 ft tall SUV should be more than enough, there are many bad drivers out there... anything little bit to help I don't mind.

3. It looks cool, it's different, and it was a fun project!

I created the concept, and designed the circuit of this project myself. I created the following using MS Visio

Wiring Diagram

NOTE: During install, the 86 and 85 wires were switched. The reason for this is because on the harnesses, 86 is white and 85 is black. It cuts down on confusion. I will update this circuit when I get the chance.

319981_2464723618578_1266894794_32879446_667029935_n.jpg

H.I.D. Note: If you are running LEDs or Halogen (standard) fog bulbs, the capacitor in the circuit is not necessary. In my testing, I had problems with the HIDs shutting off due to losing power for the quick moment it takes the relays to switch. The capacitor fixes this.

Parts List:

1. (4x) 5-pin automotive relays
2. (4x) Relay harnesses (optional)
3. (2x) Fuse Holders
4. 2 amp fuse
5. 20 amp fuse
6. Ring Terminals
7. Spade Terminals
8. Red (or non-black) & Black 14 ga. Wire
9. (2x) 9006 Female Headlight Light Bulb Socket (Same for H10/9145)
10. (1x) 9006 Male Headlight Light Bulb Socket
11. Fog Lights (of course!)

554605_4087570988748_1737761974_n.jpg

Cool to see that with some know how and effort, mods can be found in any number of ways. Post a video once complete.

Cool to see that with some know how and effort, mods can be found in any number of ways. Post a video once complete.
Definitely will. I'm also doing the LEDs this week as well, including the switchbacks. The lights should be pretty nice once I'm finished... Angle eyes are much further down the road, but they will actually share the same power as the DRL fogs.

Members online

No members online now.
Back