Data Error Message

trinibassman

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so every so often Im driving I here the familiar chirp that lets you know if the washer fluid is low etc. Finally i saw what it said "Data error" and then went off. Has anyone ever gotten this message and does anyone know how to fix it?

Does it just randomly flash real quick? If so then youve officially been hit the the phantom chirp. Some people have caught what it says some (like me) havent been so quick. Its nothig to worry about. And the dealer doesnt know why it does it either.

That sounds like the infamous mystery beep. From what I've read, it's an intermittent fault, a communications delay involving the transmission. Normally, it occurs and is resolved so quickly that you can't see any error reported on the Message Center, you just hear the beep.

In short, it's caused by a communications delay, not by a hard fault, so there's really nothing to fix.

Thank you

I would like to thank you both for easing my worries. I thought that I had a real problem on my hand that the dealer would charge an arm and a leg to fix but now I can rest easy. The number of problems I have had with this car I didnt want another.

Thank you once again.:)

If what I've read is correct (and I have no reason to believe it's not), there's not really anything that can be fixed; it's a communications delay, not an error. I'm not sure if it's in the data bus (ie, the tranny has to wait for a "quiet time" to send), or if it's in the tranny's electronics (ie, it's too busy to send), but it's not something that a reflash is likely to fix.

holy dead thread revival......

Anyways, I was able to catch the chime in time to look and read the entire display...it said "Gear Select Data Error." This message flashed as I was coasting to a stop sign. Also, no E was displayed on the odo display.
Anyone know exactly what this means or if it possibly stores a code?

Never seen the message before, but I have heard the same chime before.

Hehe, I get that phantom beep once in a blue moon too. Goes by way too quick for me to read it!

am I the only one getting random and very annoying "auto delay lamp" errors? If not, whats the fix? Im guessing new headlight switch?

So, I've had this error happen to me 3 times over the past few days. It's very nerve-racking because my engine immediately stalls when I get this error, forcing me to very quickly find a spot on the side of the road where I can go in order to restart. "Check AdvanceTrac" occasionally pops up as well. Not sure if the two are related.

Took my car to a transmission shop for a full diagnostic, and they couldn't find any codes...for anything. Nothing for the ABS, engine, and especially the transmission.

Is it possible that a sensor could be going bad, @SoonerLS?

... It's very nerve-racking because my engine immediately stalls when I get this error...

Well, that is very bad. I'd check the power to the PCM. Start with the PCM relay and relay socket in the under-hood fuse box. See if there is corrosion there. Maybe swap the relay out as a cheap just-in-case. Also, check the power distribution in the trunk. If you have any water leaking there, or even (much) worse if you have a non vented battery in there, there could be a lot of corrosion of the electrical parts.

Well, that is very bad. I'd check the power to the PCM. Start with the PCM relay and relay socket in the under-hood fuse box. See if there is corrosion there. Maybe swap the relay out as a cheap just-in-case. Also, check the power distribution in the trunk. If you have any water leaking there, or even (much) worse if you have a non vented battery in there, there could be a lot of corrosion of the electrical parts.

Wow, I totally forgot to update this thread! I took it to a transmission shop and they ran some diagnostics on it. They manually tested some of the parts in the transmission using the computer they had because I heard things clicking under the hood.

Anyway, after the tests, everything has been fine. Never have seen this message crop up again.

Members online

Back