Damn DCCV valve AGAIN??

joespanova

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well , it hasn't even been a YEAR since I replaced the valve. My wifes LS had no heat........ so last year I replaced the original valve ( WITH A NEW MOTORCRAFT ) and heat was restored. I had to replace the o rings on the compressor manifold ( AC ) because she lost AC as well. Took the car to Ford to have it charged and tested for leaks. Man when I went to get in the car after that it was like an Arctic blast .......GREAT! He said there didn't appear to be a leak and I believe him..............he's the best AC guy they have.
Now , the problem...........turn on AC , compressor engages and wont blow COLD!!!! Is it the damn DCCV AGAIN???
Having a new one fail THIS SOON!!!!

Man I am not a happy camper!!!!!!!

ANYONE? HELP

Please answer the following.
1. Does any air come out? (Is the blower working?)

2. Is it
A. The air is just not cooled, maybe a little warmer than outside
or
B. The air is actually heated and gets very hot
?

Please answer the following.
1. Does any air come out? (Is the blower working?)

2. Is it
A. The air is just not cooled, maybe a little warmer than outside
or
B. The air is actually heated and gets very hot
?

Joe , you are the man as always.........I would say A for sure...............I switched to full heat and it blows hot.....back to AC and lowest temp setting and blows........warm? Maybe. The compressor is energized and spinning.....

Possibilities:
1. Engine cooling fan not working or airflow blocked.
2. Incorrect refrigerant level (too low or too high).
3. Compressor failed internally.
4. Expansion valve failed.

So , you are saying it is not the DCCV again ?
Anyone seen one fail after just 10 months?

Yes, there have been some failures on here in less than ten months, particularly for non-OEM valves.
Your symptoms don't match with a failing DCCV. When you start the car with the engine cold, do you get good really cold air out for the first minute or two, or is it still not cooled or marginally cooled?

Yes, there have been some failures on here in less than ten months, particularly for non-OEM valves.
Your symptoms don't match with a failing DCCV. When you start the car with the engine cold, do you get good really cold air out for the first minute or two, or is it still not cooled or marginally cooled?

The valve is a Motorcraft part....as far as cold initially , no , not cold at all. Its not hot , but its not cool either. I still have plenty of heat though. With the compressor spinning I have to believe it has enough charge.........all the controls seems to be functioning on the DATC.
Are there diagnostic codes a dealership could get to indicate the source of the problem?

...Are there diagnostic codes a dealership could get to indicate the source of the problem?

No. They'll have to measure the high side pressure and the low side pressure at the same time. You'll have to hope that it's the compressor, and that it hasn't contaminated the rest of the system. If it's really correctly charged, then replacing the compressor would be your least expensive repair.

Well , the tech who just charged it last month pulled a vac , and supposedly used a refrigerant with oil..........the compressor isn't noisy and engages as soon as the buttons are pushed . From my perspective the Ford AC systems are pretty reliable. I hope its not a fault on the AC side of the system . I would prefer another DCCV replacement...........I'll warranty this one out and replace myself..............but , who knows. I'm taking it to Ford.........something I DON'T want to do.

Your descriptions of the symptoms have ruled out the DCCV.
If the AC doesn't cool when the engine is cold, the engine fan is working, the blower is working, and the clutch is engaged, it's a problem on the AC side.

Can you elaborate on the connection between the engine fan function indicating an AC issue.

AC is a heat pump. It moves heat from one location to another. In this case, it moves heat from the evaporator (which the inside blower passes air through) to the condenser (which the engine fan passes air through.) If the engine fan doesn't cool the condenser, the AC system can't remove any heat from the evaporator.

AC is a heat pump. It moves heat from one location to another. In this case, it moves heat from the evaporator (which the inside blower passes air through) to the condenser (which the engine fan passes air through.) If the engine fan doesn't cool the condenser, the AC system can't remove any heat from the evaporator.

OK
I wasn't sure why you were asking about the AC cooling it initally then warming ....but now it makes more sense. I'll assume the engine fan is working right now ....but I checked the compressor only and not the fan....right after my wife had been driving it. I'll check it again for the fan operation as well as confirm that the AC isn't cold when the ENGINE is cold.
This is the hydraulic fan setup.

I've had similar issues. I've posted on hear before and and had somewhat similar conversation with you Joe. My one question is regarding the expansion valve. Is there a way to determine if the problem lies in the valve versus the compressor? I know that replacing the expansion valve is a major process. Thanks

Posted via Topify using Android

You can tell if the combination of the compressor and the expansion valve are working correctly by monitoring the high side and low side pressures. If they are both in the correct range, then everything is okay.
If the high side is too high and the low side is normal to low, then very probably the expansion valve is stuck closed or the system is clogged. (This assumes the blower is working correctly and the engine fan is working correctly.)
If the low side is normal to high and the high side is low, then either the compressor is failing or the expansion valve is stuck open. Usually, but not always, it is the compressor. For myself, I would replace the compressor first. It's a lot less work, and the compressor is a wear item. If that didn't correct it, then I would go after the expansion valve.

One more question. Is there a compressor you recommend? I'm looking at the motorcraft yc2479 on amazon. Any preferences?

One more question. Is there a compressor you recommend? I'm looking at the motorcraft yc2479 on amazon. Any preferences?

The way the LS responds to non-Mortorcraft parts I would stick with factory parts. I got my compressor from RockAuto (MOTORCRAFT Part # YCC148 {#2R8Z19V703BA, 6R8Z19703A, YC2518} With Clutch
factory installed (Only 3 Remaining).). It's ~$360 and comes with the clutch.

The way the LS responds to non-Mortorcraft parts I would stick with factory parts. I got my compressor from RockAuto (MOTORCRAFT Part # YCC148 {#2R8Z19V703BA, 6R8Z19703A, YC2518} With Clutch
factory installed (Only 3 Remaining).). It's ~$360 and comes with the clutch.

That one must be for a gen 2 as I cant find that one for a gen 1.

thanks for yalls help

That one must be for a gen 2 as I cant find that one for a gen 1.

thanks for yalls help

I think they're interchangeable; but if not.......

MOTORCRAFT Part # YCC301 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers}
6 Groove Pulley (Only 4 Remaining)

$357.79 $0.00 $357.79
MOTORCRAFT Part # YC2479 {#XW4H19497CB, XW4Z19703CA, ZZ19972AA} Without Clutch
Factory Installed; New Compressor (Only 1 Remaining)

Part Image
* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 1 business day
$489.99 $0.00 $489.99

Tasca......

HVAC / AIR CONDITIONER / COMPRESSOR / COMPRESSOR
COMPRESSOR LS8

MSRP Core ? Save Online Price
$755.62 $0.00 $340.03 $415.59

According to the breakdown of Ford part numbers in another thread, the A/C compressors for both generations are the same; 19703. XW4Z19703CA for the 1st gen and 6R8Z19703A for the second gen.

Members online

No members online now.
Back