DA won't idle at all now

sprocket

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I barely got home from work.:( If the RPM goes below 2000 it will continue to drop and die. It stumbles and stutters on the highway. I couldn't use overdrive. If I had to stop I had to put it in neutral and keep revving it, then power drop it into 2nd gear.

Fortunately a coworker followed me most of the way home. I had the code reader sitting on the passenger seat so I reached down and hooked it up about 7 miles from home. On the highway it shows that bank 1 is lean and the short term fuel trim is around 35%. That means it is adding 35% more fuel. The other bank reads OK. In town both banks were reading under 10% which is good, but also quite weird since I was still keeping the RPM above 2000. It dies instantly once I stop and let off the gas.

A faulty O2 sensor could give bad readings causing the computer to think it is lean when it isn't but that doesn't explain the hard starts. The O2 sensors have to warm up to do anything.

A bad fuel pump doesn't explain the huge discrepancy between bank 1 and bank 2. Previously bank 2 was the one tending towards lean.

Unless someone has a real good idea of what the problem is, I'm just going to put it in the garage (if I can get it there) and forget about it for awhile. No CEL, no codes.

OK, now I feel stupid. I had swapped air cleaners with my other car because a previous owner had altered the flex tube to fit a permanent air filter. I wanted it all to fit nice when I went to see Eric last night to get a good flex tube from him. Now you're wondering where I am possibly going with this story...

So now the DA has the entire air cleaner form the other car. Well, when I removed the resonator from that air cleaner I put a plug in the hole and hose clamped it in tight. Well, I thought it was tight.:eek: The DA backfired with it's hard start and blew the plug out! Tim spotted it. It was still lying under the hood somewhere. I clamped it in tighter, but I will switch the air cleaners back because the other one has the hole sealed shut.

So that's my "Dave is an idiot" story for today.:rolleyes:

Members online

Back