Cylinder Numbering?

Farking Bastage

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I couldn't seem to find anything definitive on this via searching.

Are the cylinder numberings on a '03 V8 as follows?

Passenger side front to back 1-2-3-4
Driver side front to back 5-6-7-8

Reason I ask is the last time I had the warranty COP replacement I was almost out of warranty, now I am. The replaced ( according to the invoice ) 1,2,5,6,7,8 and I'm starting to get skips again, so I figure the two they didn't replace are acting up now.

Yes, that's the correct numbering.
Be sure to replace those two spark plugs as well.

Well definitely found the problem. What concerns me is my warranty invoice said that plugs and coils tested good on 3 and 4.

I am about 99%sure number 4 has never been pulled

http://imgur.com/ESaJg.jpg

Linked for size

I am not a mechanic by trade, nor will I ever claim to know what a certified mechanic does. However, I am a network engineer. That being said, I may not know everything about my car, but I do know how to TROUBLESHOOT

What mechanic in his right mind would pull and reinstall that rusty piece of crap. Also note the cracked connector on the coil that came out of that same cylinder.

I guess its only coincidence that it is all from number 4 and it the one all the way in the back.

That pisses me off

Well definitely found the problem. What concerns me is my warranty invoice said that plugs and coils tested good on 3 and 4.

I am about 99%sure number 4 has never been pulled

http://imgur.com/ESaJg.jpg

Linked for size

I am not a mechanic by trade, nor will I ever claim to know what a certified mechanic does. However, I am a network engineer. That being said, I may not know everything about my car, but I do know how to TROUBLESHOOT

What mechanic in his right mind would pull and reinstall that rusty piece of crap. Also note the cracked connector on the coil that came out of that same cylinder.

I guess its only coincidence that it is all from number 4 and it the one all the way in the back.

That pisses me off

They do not remove the spark plug to test it. They look at scope traces on the primary side of the coil. Problems with the spark plug will show up there. It doesn't take very long at all for the damage shown on the plug to be done. I would guess that the coil and plug were okay when they tested, and the crack happened afterwards. Once it cracked and started arcing the plug was quickly damaged.

P.S. #4 is not the hardest one to get to. Try a couple of them on the driver's side.

They do not remove the spark plug to test it. They look at scope traces on the primary side of the coil. Problems with the spark plug will show up there. It doesn't take very long at all for the damage shown on the plug to be done. I would guess that the coil and plug were okay when they tested, and the crack happened afterwards. Once it cracked and started arcing the plug was quickly damaged.

P.S. #4 is not the hardest one to get to. Try a couple of them on the driver's side.

Fair enough. I dread the day I have to mess with that side. Sorry for coming off like I did. Also it looks like I have a leak in that cover to address. I found sand In there as well as what looked to be water stains.

Once I got the coils off I took a shop vac to the tubes and that entire area to make sure I didn't drop something unsavory into the cylinder.

...Also it looks like I have a leak in that cover to address. I found sand In there as well as what looked to be water stains...

The problem is not the cover. The problem is the gasketing that is supposed to stop the water from the windshield from pouring on the back of the engine. See attached TSB.

Attachments

• tsb05-16-02.pdf
    18.4 KB · Views: 142
Oh boy... sounds like I'll be in that other side soon enough.

It's running a little better after what I changed out today ( coils and plugs on 3 and 4 ) but still not quite 100% I don't feel a skip but between 1500 and 2k I can hear it popping ever so slightly.

Did they replace the spark plugs with the coils? If not you need to replace them all and make sure they're gapped properly.

Members online

Back