Cylinder 8 Misifiring, rough idling, changed coils twice now what

buffdaddieyow

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, first of all thank you for maintaining such a great resource it has been very helpful. I am a new lincoln owner of a 2005 lincoln LS V8 with 3.9 motor. I have had the clasic problems with a misfiring cylinder, namely cylinder 8 and a real problem with rough idling, very unpredictable power output especially going uphill and betweeen 40-80 km an hour. The gas mileage is also terrible. I took the vehicle in for safety and emissions and my mechanic cleans the fuel injector and tighten my slight broken vacum hose and the problem remained. A few days later I purchased a computer and found that the P308 was the code which is cylinder 8 misfiring so I bought what is considered a good coil, blue streak and had it installed and also replaced vacum hose with dealer item only hose. After that the vehicle worked very good for about two weeks until once again the rough idling and
the check engine light came back, I kept driiving like this until the check engine began to flash on and off for a few minutes every morning until the check engine light would stay on.
So I put the car in the garage, found the extended warranty bulletin on this site and numerous posts about replacing the VGC, possibilities with leaks, bad sparks and oil on boots. According to the extended warrant bulletins M07 and N09 I am covered for coils and ignition plugs for up to 160,000 km or 10 years. So I took it to Ford and had them run a DI, they confirmed indeed that the coil was bad and that was the extent to their DI, advising that I should replace the coil with a Ford coil because thats the only the coil that is reliable,lol. SO I did, however they did not cover the costs for the coil, labour or DI because they said my already replaced coil is an aftermarket coil and as such not covered under the warranty. So I called ford canada, they also said that they dealership has the ability to interept the bulletin and that what they said is correct. So I took fords word for it purchased an 88 dollar coil and had that almost 2 month new blue streak coil replaced. Its been day two with the new Ford coil and nothing has changed, check engine light is still on, idling is terrible, computer continues to say P308 is still misfiring and fuel consumption is terrible.

My question is what to do now, the new ford coild has a a 1 year or 20,000 km warranty, however they will have to take the coil out send it to ford to confirm if it is indeed a bad coil or not and in the mean time I have to purchase another ford coil to operate vechile, which I am not interested in.

Furthermore, I am sure the DI that the Ford mechanics are doing is not much mroe than uplinking their computer and reading the code for verbatum.

What should I do, I really want to be able to enjoy my vehicle, the ford coil has not changed the situation at all not even for a day.

Could be possible that it is the sparks of the vehicle ?
|Has anyone else used the Canadian version of the extended warranty on this vehcile ? where is the best Toronto area ford mechanic to get this job done, is their a soloution that I can do myself and what would be the best way to get my money back for this new ford coil ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I apologize if I did not find the answer to my question earlier in the other forums.

Buff

Douglas Ford Lincoln in Barrie (about an hour north of you) - They replaced my #8 (2003 V8, ~125k km at the time) without any hassle in summer 2010, no problems since. You might even have a leaking VCG (oil in the wells), or perhaps a leaking hood cowl (there's a TSB on that). IIRC, the leaking hood cowl will lead to coil #8 failure as water/moisture will get into the wells.

Either way, I would try another dealer. They shouldn't deny you now that you don't have any aftermarket coils in there. When Douglas replaced my coil, I had no CELs. They diagnosed the coils individually to find the faulty one.

Douglas Ford Lincoln in Barrie (about an hour north of you) - They replaced my #8 (2003 V8, ~125k km at the time) without any hassle in summer 2010, no problems since. You might even have a leaking VCG (oil in the wells), or perhaps a leaking hood cowl (there's a TSB on that). IIRC, the leaking hood cowl will lead to coil #8 failure as water/moisture will get into the wells.

Either way, I would try another dealer. They shouldn't deny you now that you don't have any aftermarket coils in there. When Douglas replaced my coil, I had no CELs. They diagnosed the coils individually to find the faulty one.
thank you for the quick reply. The ford mechanic and cruickshank on weston rd. told me that the vgc do not need replacing as their is no evidence of moisture or a leak, likewise nothing to do with cowls.

what is CEL's ?

also i was wondering when your number 8 was replaced, did they only replace the coil or also the vgc and wiper cowl

It is possible that you ran long enough with the failed aftermarket coil that the PCM was damaged.
It's also possible that you have other marginal coils and the computer is guessing #8 incorrectly, if they didn't run full stress tests on all the coils. They probably didn't run the stress tests because you had an aftermarket coil in.

thank you for the quick reply. The ford mechanic and cruickshank on weston rd. told me that the vgc do not need replacing as their is no evidence of moisture or a leak, likewise nothing to do with cowls.

what is CEL's ?

also i was wondering when your number 8 was replaced, did they only replace the coil or also the vgc and wiper cowl

The mechanic was correct; the program says to replace VCGs only if oil is present. On the other hand, the moisture problem is to be carried out at the owner's expensive I'm pretty certain.

CEL = Check Engine Light

When my coil was replaced, they replaced the spark plug and coil, free of charge.

i agree that every coil need to be tested, by the time that a CEL comes on, the coil has to be pretty bad, and ive seen a motor run pretty bad and still not throw a code.

Everything you wrote was about changing the coil. Was the sparkplug on that cylinder ever replaced? I could see since the A/M coil was in hole 8 that the Ford mechanics just assumed that the sparkplug also was changed. It could be fouled.

so, now that I have a ford coil in number 8 although it is aftermarket, will they do a stress test. They tell me that typically send the unit to ford and it is stress tested there. ANyway to stress test the units at home, how do you check if the spark plug is good or not.

The mechanic was correct; the program says to replace VCGs only if oil is present. On the other hand, the moisture problem is to be carried out at the owner's expensive I'm pretty certain.

CEL = Check Engine Light

When my coil was replaced, they replaced the spark plug and coil, free of charge.
okay, I think I should follow up with douglas ford or perhaps a larger dealership with a lincoln side to their dealership to get them to do any further work.

CEL = Check Engine Light

so i am guessing that if the coil is aftermarket, they should check all the other coils which are original ford parts to be stress tested and also for the spark plugs to be tested. I will have to call your local ford and other fords in the area.

i agree that every coil need to be tested, by the time that a CEL comes on, the coil has to be pretty bad, and ive seen a motor run pretty bad and still not throw a code.
how do u stress test a coil, I guess since my coil is only a few days old its likely something else than just the coil.

Everything you wrote was about changing the coil. Was the sparkplug on that cylinder ever replaced? I could see since the A/M coil was in hole 8 that the Ford mechanics just assumed that the sparkplug also was changed. It could be fouled.
i have no idea freind, how can I confirm I am the new second owner of the vehicle.

how do u stress test a coil, I guess since my coil is only a few days old its likely something else than just the coil.

You might need to read through all the information available on here about the coil failures.

When a coil fails, it damages the spark plug.
A damaged spark plug can cause the coil to fail.
Therefore, always replace coils and spark plugs together.

The PCM has to "guess" while coil is misfiring. This guessing is not very good and is only triggered when there is a significant problem. Coils tend to have marginal failures which are not picked up by the PCM.
Therefore, you may have one or more additional failed coils.

You cannot (cost effectively) perform a coil stress test at home. It requires specialized equipment and very detailed knowledge.
However, the dealership can - and should - perform a stress test on all the coils and replace any that fail. The TSB covers 100,000 miles for '03 to '05 LS's. If the dealership is not willing to work with you, then you should find another one. You may need to take in a copy of the TSB. Joegr has posted links to it many times - check his other posts. It may even be in the sticky Real Owner's Manual thread.

Thanks Joegr,
Im looking for the extended warranty bulletins that are on this site, cant find them. If you or anyone else has the link can they post it. I wanna print them out before I goto ford. I think they are M07 and N09.
Thanks

Does anybody know what an original ford coil looks like, what the markings are on the part

It varies. Some have a sticker on the top, others just some printing there. They should all have a Motorcraft part number, but the number changed a little through the years.

Oh boy, i think I really messed up. SO I was trying to see if all the coils were burnt out, so I took coil 1 and put it into coil 8 and coil 8 into coil 1. WHen I turned the car on the car had a hard time starting and then died, i did this a few times and now the car wont start. Any ideas. I hope I did not damage anything.

My logic was that if I were to place the working original ford coil in cylinder 8 then I could take it to ford and have them inspect the sparks etc. But I guess I cant do that now.
Also, I think Im goign to have to get a whole new set of coils, ive found some on amazon for like 13 bucks a head, any ideas on that one. Any coils or sparks that have been tested and used on this car that you would reccomend. Thanks.

What should I do to make the car start now. Yikes.

tis is the serial marking i got on the supposed original ford coils, can anyone confirm.
EE03A
2W4E 12A366BD
5C1195

do you prefer motocraft or accels for after market parts, i used bluestreak here it really sucked.

What should I do to make the car start now. Yikes.
i would tow the car to a place that has the proper testing equipment to correctly diagnose and repair the problem before the cost is exponentially increased by damaging anything further.

+1. I am with Loud. Allow a professional mechanic to assess your individual situation.

Members online

Back