Cylinder 4 Misfire...

Marcus101

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I finally used the scanner to see what the issue with my 2005 lincoln ls v8 sport was and the reader says cylinder 4 misfire.

This is the only error it comes up with.

My mechanic says to just change that coil and see if it fixes the issue before spending $500+ on all 8.

Thoughts?

Well, at least change that spark plug too. Perhaps your luck will be different than most of us...

...but...

I'd bet that a number of other coils have become marginal in the time that it took for that one to get bad enough to be detected by the PCM.

You only risk damage to the PCM and/or the catalytic converters.

You could scope out the ignition with the engine under stress to be able to know for sure.

Could simply swap coil # 1 to 4 and #4 to 1 in order to confirm.
If the misfire code follows to 1, you know that coil to be the problem.

However ... it's recommended that you change all 8 coils with Ford OEM and all 8 plugs with NGK iridium IV
all at the same time. Start fresh. One does not take a shower and only put one fresh sock on? or do we?

Use di-electric grease up inside the boots. Verify your plug wells are not soaked with either water or oil. If so, you need to address that issue first. Don't pull the plugs if there's water or oil down there, needs to be soaked up and blown out before pulling the plug out.

Also, on a separate note, and your probably not going to like this, Thousand thanks for starting yet again another thread related to misfiring, specifically #4 which is known to be a culprit with leaking RFI to the nearby PCM potentially causing faulty Throttle body and position sensor code. End results causing Fail Safe mode once the misfiring has gone to a value greater then it's allowable tolerance by 2% in same drive cycle.

Not like this forum hasn't covered it 1001 times already.
Here's a simply Google search to this forum related to Misfire#4
>>> Google

It's been covered over and over and over and over, yet we feel the need to start new threads constantly about the same issue day in day out. If you folks would only just use the Forum search or some googling, you'd find your answers and if any additional comments, concerns or questions, raise on older thread back to the top by posting to such an existing thread.

NOTE: if your going to change all coils and plugs, for the love of god, spend a few bucks extra and change out both the fuel filter, breather element and gently clean the MAF, it will make a huge difference in conjunction with the new coils and plugs, throttle response and mileage will hugely improve. Well worth it. Fresh cabin filter and some STP injector cleaner in the tank and your golden.

GLWR

Last edited:
I also checked the ABS and the code for the wheel speed sensor popped up. Could that be causing my advance trac error as well (mentioned in previous post).
I kept the code reader plugged in and drove the car around the block while accelerating to higher RPMs to determine whether other cylinders are misfiring under load.

I still only get the cylinder #4 misfire and the same wheel speed sensor code as well.

Taking it to my mechanic tomorrow after work to have it double checked to be sure. If I get a good quote on changing all the COPs ill go ahead with it to be safe as you guys recommended.

Apologies for the double post and not searching the forums first.

I appreciate the quick responses though!

Where are you in Canada?

I'm 25 min west of Ottawa Ontario.
Give ya a good deal on labour and swap that right rear wheelspeed sensor also.

15% discounted local Ford OEM parts option.

Where are you in Canada?

I'm 25 min west of Ottawa Ontario.
Give ya a good deal on labour and swap that right rear wheelspeed sensor also.

15% discounted local Ford OEM parts option.
Unfortunately I live in Guelph Ontario. It's difficult to find a mechanic that knows the ins and outs of a Lincoln LS

So to be sure, replacing the #4 and the spark plug associated with it may only be a temporary fix correct ?

Last edited:
The advice is always to change out all coils and plugs at the same time.

Mismatched sets, brands, aged coils and plugs is bullcrap.

If you really must due to budget or other reasons behond understanding why we always recommend to change all at once then please do go ahead and get that #4 replaced. You are ruining your expensive catalytic converter on that bank at this point.

I'm willing to bet money on the fact, you pull both sides coil covers and start removing coils and plugs, your going to find all mismatched coils n plugs, garuanteed. Seen it plenty ... dealership, under warranty were famous for doing this as the mandate was to only replace the faulty coil, they don't even replace the plug associated with whichever coils proved to be marginal.

If you really must ... replace coil and plug on 4 to stop the misfire but due note that others will be next within the end of the week.

When doing tune ups on cars, we don't head to a shop and say, just replace one or two ... a proper tune up involves getting all the old exhausted parts out and replacing it with fresh new parts, preferably with OEM parts.

Up to you

I could certainly help you with that, on my back haul I land in Mississauga on Dixie road very early on Sunday mornings, most the time I have hours left over to book it down the 401 and am forced off the roads anywhere from Belleville, Napanee to the Kingston area.

I don't have tools with me right now to do that job, least not the right tools to work on an LS. I'd need my ratchet set, plug puller and feeler gauges.

It honestly is simple enough to do yourself ... why people pay mechanics to do this is behond me. A caveman can do it.

You shouldn't continue to drive it while it's misfiring like that that's for sure.

You really need to replace all coils and all plugs at the same time and you need to inspect for water or oil down them plug wells before removing any.

Please don't let anyone just put any kind of brand coils in, OEM coils are more expensive but they simply work best, many aftermarket coils are garbage. CCCP coils being the worse with many defective right out of the box.

If we were any closer I'd already have it done for you providing you got OEM coils and NGK plugs.

Really need to follow up immediately with a fresh fuel filter, clean the Mass Air Flow sensor, inspect all of plastic intake snorkel and stick a new air breather filter in. Check for vacuum leaks.

It's a bit of cash but it'd run perfect after that.

Last edited:
The advice is always to change out all coils and plugs at the same time.

Mismatched sets, brands, aged coils and plugs is bullcrap.

If you really must due to budget or other reasons behond understanding why we always recommend to change all at once then please do go ahead and get that #4 replaced. You are ruining your expensive catalytic converter on that bank at this point.

I'm willing to bet money on the fact, you pull both sides coil covers and start removing coils and plugs, your going to find all mismatched coils n plugs, garuanteed. Seen it plenty ... dealership, under warranty were famous for doing this as the mandate was to only replace the faulty coil, they don't even replace the plug associated with whichever coils proved to be marginal.

If you really must ... replace coil and plug on 4 to stop the misfire but due note that others will be next within the end of the week.

When doing tune ups on cars, we don't head to a shop and say, just replace one or two ... a proper tune up involves getting all the old exhausted parts out and replacing it with fresh new parts, preferably with OEM parts.

Up to you

I could certainly help you with that, on my back haul I land in Mississauga on Dixie road very early on Sunday mornings, most the time I have hours left over to book it down the 401 and am forced off the roads anywhere from Belleville, Napanee to the Kingston area.

I don't have tools with me right now to do that job, least not the right tools to work on an LS. I'd need my ratchet set, plug puller and feeler gauges.

It honestly is simple enough to do yourself ... why people pay mechanics to do this is behond me. A caveman can do it.

You shouldn't continue to drive it while it's misfiring like that that's for sure.

You really need to replace all coils and all plugs at the same time and you need to inspect for water or oil down them plug wells before removing any.

Please don't let anyone just put any kind of brand coils in, OEM coils are more expensive but they simply work best, many aftermarket coils are garbage. CCCP coils being the worse with many defective right out of the box.

If we were any closer I'd already have it done for you providing you got OEM coils and NGK plugs.

Really need to follow up immediately with a fresh fuel filter, clean the Mass Air Flow sensor, inspect all of plastic intake snorkel and stick a new air breather filter in. Check for vacuum leaks.

It's a bit of cash but it'd run perfect after that.

At the mechanic as we speak. What would you charge to do all the work you suggested ? I can spend no more than $1000 right now

Also, mechanics reader says cylinder #2 and #4 are misfiring. He suggests I change those two along with NGK spark plugs to save me some cash. He ordered C619 spectra ignition coils. For $90 each. Are these any good ? I looked online and I can get them for $35 each so either he bumped up the price to make some cash or his supplier is garbage.

Last edited:
Lordie lordie lordie I tried.
Aftermarket coils for 90 each. Fn wonderful.

Ford OEM DG529 coils for the V8 are 53$ CDN at your local dealership parts department .... cash discounted if you talk nice to them.

NGK Iridium plugs are 21$ CDN for two per package at Canadian Tire.

Your getting screwed at 90 each on off brand coils.

Lordie lordie lordie I tried.
Aftermarket coils for 90 each. Fn wonderful.

Ford OEM DG529 coils for the V8 are 53$ CDN at your local dealership parts department .... cash discounted if you talk nice to them.

NGK Iridium plugs are 21$ CDN for two per package at Canadian Tire.

Your getting screwed at 90 each on off brand coils.

I figured that he's trying to make a quick buck off of them.

I'll cancel the order immediately. I found these, not sure if they are legit...2005 Lincoln LS Ignition Coil V8 3.9L 8 Piece Set at 1A Auto.com

Ok, you're not getting it, no sense. I tried.
Best of luck with those cheap no name coils. Box probably says CCCP on it, garbage.

Really should get Ford OEM DG529'S

If that's what you are going to do (not use Motorcraft coils) then just replace #4, and leave the rest.
It's a bad idea...

Edit: He posted the Tasca link at the same time as my reply (I had the tab open for a while) about the link in post #10.
Yes, the Tasca's are good. I guess I should have quoted the post I was replying to.

Last edited:
Those are the DG529'S from Ford, Tasca strictly sells OEM Ford products. Yes, those are the ones.

That's a USA website, those are USD listed prices. As Canadians we get hit on taxes, duties and shipping.

Compare that part number and prices per unit with what a local Ford dealership would give ya. Ask them for their best cash discounted price.

Check price on fuel filter and air breather element (air filter)

Those are the DG529'S from Ford, Tasca strictly sells OEM Ford products. Yes, those are the ones.

That's a USA website, those are USD listed prices. As Canadians we get hit on taxes, duties and shipping.

Compare that part number and prices per unit with what a local Ford dealership would give ya. Ask them for their best cash discounted price.

Check price on fuel filter and air breather element (air filter)
Okay, I'll call the ford dealership near my house to see how much I can get those same coils for. I'll buy the NGK spark plugs from Canadian tire as well and I'll just pay for the labour rather than get ripped off for $15 coils at $90 a piece lol.

I spoke with another mechanic and he said to change all of them or I'll be dealing with the misfire again in a matter of days. Guess you can't cheap out on repairs lol. You guys were right lol.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help. Come to Guelph so I can pay you $300 to install them for me lol

Or meet me in Mississauga on Sunday morning and I'll do it for a double double Timmies. You'd need to bring a ratchet set and spark plug puller though.

Or meet me in Mississauga on Sunday morning and I'll do it for a double double Timmies. You'd need to bring a ratchet set and spark plug puller though.
For a double double ? Haha if you're serious you got a deal! Where in Mississauga would you be willing to meet ?

Princes Auto & Tim Hortons parking lot on Dixie rd, across from Pearson airport.

I can let you know for sure, Friday evening, depends on my backhaul going that way.

Need tools & di-electric grease.
Can't change coils n plugs with my fingers.

Get the Ford OEM coils first.

Marcus, is your LS idling ok but begins to misfire when you accelerate hard?

Do you own an extensive ratchet set with other various tools in it?

We need a spark plug puller for those NGK Iridium plugs. Available at Canadian Tire, looks like a regular deep socket but has a rubber gasket deep inside it.

We need di-electric grease.

Some anti-seize compound would be good.

Should really replace fuel filter and air intake filter as well, thing will run like a raped ape afterwards.

Last edited:
Don't mind doing this for you but couple of conditions.

1) has to be Ford OEM Lincoln LS coils,
Not spending my time putting crap aftermarket coils in.

2) has to be NGK Iridium spark plugs

3) absolutely need di-electric grease

4) if I find oil in your plug wells we can not continue.

5) my backhaul depends if I have to go to Mississauga on Sundays, they give me a load for Ottawa or Montreal, I can't meet you.

There is always next Sunday, which I could then bring all my own tools and such along.

If your misfiring, try not to drive it much or at all and certainly don't beat on it. Marginal coils tend to be ok with easy driving. Accelerate too hard and they begin to misfire which I turn dumps raw fuel into your catalytic converters and those are expensive to replace.

I'll gladly help you out.

Let me know if you can get the OEM plugs by this Sunday, if they say they need to order them in, we'd have to go to next Sunday, providing my backhaul routes we that way. Most the time it does.

Oh ... and if it raining, you're out of luck also.

Don't mind doing this for you but couple of conditions.

1) has to be Ford OEM Lincoln LS coils,
Not spending my time putting crap aftermarket coils in.

2) has to be NGK Iridium spark plugs

3) absolutely need di-electric grease

4) if I find oil in your plug wells we can not continue.

5) my backhaul depends if I have to go to Mississauga on Sundays, they give me a load for Ottawa or Montreal, I can't meet you.

There is always next Sunday, which I could then bring all my own tools and such along.

If your misfiring, try not to drive it much or at all and certainly don't beat on it. Marginal coils tend to be ok with easy driving. Accelerate too hard and they begin to misfire which I turn dumps raw fuel into your catalytic converters and those are expensive to replace.

I'll gladly help you out.

Let me know if you can get the OEM plugs by this Sunday, if they say they need to order them in, we'd have to go to next Sunday, providing my backhaul routes we that way. Most the time it does.

Oh ... and if it raining, you're out of luck also.
It misfires during idle and when I accelerate from 0-40 it shakes and struggles to get to 60. Once I hit 60+ it runs like normal.

I ordered the D529s but they won't be here until next week. If you can let me know for sure when you will be coming to Mississauga I'll have the LS towed out there as I rather not drive her on the 401 when it struggles to accelerate lol.

I'll purchase all the tools and other products you mentioned in the mean time. If you can use your own tools that would save me some money lol.

My apologies for the stupid questions, this is my first car and I'm not really educated on auto repair.

Hmmm, that changes things.
What was the codes it spit out?

I can only hope it's just misfire, not sure at this point if it's something additional.

I can bring tools next week, no problems.

You think perhaps you have someone with a car that can come pick me up in Mississauga and run me back afterwards?

You having it flatbedded isn't going to be cheap either and what if the coils n plugs don't stop the misfiring, then it's got to go back to Guelph somehow.

Not sure what to do, I can't run my truck that far and back out of route while off duty. Limited to 75km personal use in a 24hr period. MTO regulations.

I have no issue changing out your coils n plugs using my tools. Just have to depend that my next week's backhaul routes me through Mississauga Sunday.

Gotta get me and your LS closer together.

It's 68kms one way. If it's misfiring that badly it's no sense driving it.

Do you have a car you can borrow or a buddy, family member or GF that could help us out.

We'll figure it out by next week I'm sure.

Last edited:
Another cost saving option, compared to a shop doing the work, you could look on Kijiji in your area, for a mobile mechanic. Most are licensed mechanics looking to earn some extra cash on the side. They tend to offer cheaper rates then shops do plus they come to you. If you have the parts, should only be a couple hours of labor for 8 coils n plugs.

Another option is you buy some tools and attempt it yourself. It's not that difficult and myself and others could remotely assist you. Can even explain it with pics. Can clearly show you what tools you'd need to get.

Hmmm, that changes things.
What was the codes it spit out?

I can only hope it's just misfire, not sure at this point if it's something additional.

I can bring tools next week, no problems.

You think perhaps you have someone with a car that can come pick me up in Mississauga and run me back afterwards?

You having it flatbedded isn't going to be cheap either and what if the coils n plugs don't stop the misfiring, then it's got to go back to Guelph somehow.

Not sure what to do, I can't run my truck that far and back out of route while off duty. Limited to 75km personal use in a 24hr period. MTO regulations.

I have no issue changing out your coils n plugs using my tools. Just have to depend that my next week's backhaul routes me through Mississauga Sunday.

Gotta get me and your LS closer together.

It's 68kms one way. If it's misfiring that badly it's no sense driving it.

Do you have a car you can borrow or a buddy, family member or GF that could help us out.

We'll figure it out by next week I'm sure.
My friend could pick you up and drop you off no problem. Once the coils come in the mail I'll let you know and we can figure something out.

I'm having another mechanic check the coils for oil and water today to ensure that when you change them the problem will be rectified. I will also get that air and fuel filter ready as they are pretty cheap.

If I ordered the D529s from my local ford dealership they would have cost me $128 each! Got them online for $53.65 each ! $499.71 total with taxes and duty.

The only codes it spits out are cylinder 2 and 4 misfiring. I don't remember the code name only the description.

It's difficult to find any LS savy mechanics these days so I rather you do it at this point.

When the parts come in I'll let you know!

Ok sounds good. 128$ at the dealership, that's crazy. I didn't pay anything near that some two years ago. If we're doing your fuel filter also, I'll bring my small jack and stand unless you have one of those.

Members online

No members online now.
Back