Cylinder 1, 2 & 3 Misfire, among other codes

TBrock77

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Recently picked up a 2006 LS V8 with an engine issue. I’ve attached the codes but here they are
P0012
P0300
P0301
P0302
P0303
The o2 codes are up because the guy cut the cats out of them. The other codes were there before that.

Cylinders 1, 2 and 3 are the Passenger side bank correct?

I checked the coils, they were all .6-.7 ohms, the plugs are newish iridium and the gaps are at .039. I pulled the VVT solenoid and put 12v to it, it open/closed about 1/4” seems okay.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you!
2186E43E-BE73-4DA6-8E11-F18391A11B70.png

Cylinders 1, 2 and 3 are the Passenger side bank correct?

I checked the coils, they were all .6-.7 ohms...
Yes, passenger side, 1 to 4, front to back.
That resistance check is 99% useless on this. The coils fail due to high voltage breakdown of the epoxy. That only shows via a stress test. Your best starting bet is to replace all the coils with OEM ones and replace all the spark plugs at the same time. Bad coils kill spark plugs, then the bad plugs kill the new coils, over and over...

Yes, passenger side, 1 to 4, front to back.
That resistance check is 99% useless on this. The coils fail due to high voltage breakdown of the epoxy. That only shows via a stress test. Your best starting bet is to replace all the coils with OEM ones and replace all the spark plugs at the same time. Bad coils kill spark plugs, then the bad plugs kill the new coils, over and over...
Camshafts are out of time, the flats do not line up.

Sorry to hear that. The 2nd gen 3.9 does not usually have this problem.
I believe the intake camshaft bolt came loose or the intake gear failed internally as I was able to turn the intake camshaft freely from the gear 1/8-1/4 turn and then it locked up.

Last edited:
Following up

After seeing the intake camshaft was no longer in time I decided to attempt a “patch” until the winter time. I timed the engine using the 303-645A tool. I then partially clamped the camshafts with the 303-530 tool. I then put a 30mm wrench on the intake camshaft hex and forced it back into time. Doing this either turned the camshaft on the bolt or turned the internals of the gear.

I fired it up and it idles smoothly but I need to do an oil change after running some oil cleaner. After that I will take it on the street and get on it so it attempts to engage the VVT. I will report back.

I am impressed. I figured there would valve/piston damage.

probably just the equivalent of 1 tooth off

he can slap a complete used cam with phaser and send it. i’ve seen people break the secondary chains with no damage after

I scoped the cylinders, no damage
probably just the equivalent of 1 tooth off

he can slap a complete used cam with phaser and send it. i’ve seen people break the secondary chains with no damage after
over the winter I will do the timing chains, new phasers and timing guides.

No update yet. The cats were cut out and I’m fighting to get the replacement ones in the car. Should have an update after this weekend.

I used an engine oil flush fluid and changed the oil. The oil filter was sludgey but I’m not sure if that was from the flush or lack of maintenance by the previous owner.

I left the VVTs unplugged and took it for a 10 mile ride. It goes good but the code is thrown for the unplug solenoids. I’m gonna get some miles on it before I plug them back in as I fear the timing issue maybe come back if it advances the intake camshaft timing.

TLDR: 10 miles, unplugged VVTs, no issues.

How's this going?
~400 miles since forcing the camshaft back into time. No issues. Oil is staying clean, car is running good. I still have not plugged in the VVTs, I’m going to soon.

Recently replaced the thermostat housing and elbow because it was slightly overheating, the elbow had failed I could hear air hiss when I squeezed the radiator hose.

Members online

No members online now.
Back