Cut rear springs, no difference

Lseme

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, decided to go cheap route for now & cut springs. Front definitely a difference ( no wheel gap) but cut 1/2 coil on rears but I can't tell a difference. Didn't measure height pre-cut but after install it doesn't look any different in height. Should I take another 1/2 coil out or stop while I'm ahead ?

A few pics post cut

20151024_123231.jpg

20151024_123251.jpg

20151024_123308.jpg

How about a picture of the whole car to see it's rake?

did you make sure you indexed the springs/spring mounts correctly?

did you make sure you indexed the springs/spring mounts correctly?

Yes, I marked exactly pre-cut where perch was and indexed correctly. After driving it they have settled some and it's not bad. Still good ride, a little more stiff. I may take another 1/4 out but I'm going to drive it for a bit before doing so.

Hite cut his stock springs (IIRC) he took more off the rears then he did in the front to get it to sit even and lower. Perhaps talk to him.

Hite cut his stock springs (IIRC) he took more off the rears then he did in the front to get it to sit even and lower. Perhaps talk to him.

Yeah we've talked - he said he took a half in front & full coil in rear. I may taken out a little too much in front b/c it's almost too low but I'm on the fence about rears - it still has a slight rake to it.

Looks like I had it backwards. There ya go.
With my Eibachs, the front sits lower then the rear. At one point I only had the front Eibachs installed and it had a decent rake which was fun for a while. Installed the rear Eibachs the following season and still have a slight forward rake.

Looks like I had it backwards. There ya go.
With my Eibachs, the front sits lower then the rear. At one point I only had the front Eibachs installed and it had a decent rake which was fun for a while.

That's what I plan to do when I replace my rotors this winter. Did you think it rode weird or anything with the stock springs still out back?

No, just got pestered on LvC here too much, it was a peer pressure kind of thing.

It drove fine ... but as suggested by others to me, it didn't look right, once the front settled, it didn't look all that great with too much wheel gap in the rear vs little in the front.

I'm glad I did put them in and also glad I had a chance to let the front settle for a season and then the rears went it, still rakes forward a tiny bit, I'm happy with it, plus the addition of all the other suspension and linkages in the rear along with the new rear Sport shocks (and all front), everything became that much tighter.

I've said it plenty before, my LS feels and rides like a go-kart, at greater speeds or even any speed for that matter, I can flick the steering wheel, let go, no hands and it straight centers instantly. Nice and firm, well planted on the roadway.

My Eibachs already have about 20K on them, so they won't settle any more than they have. Like you, I am planning on putting in my new oem sport shocks when I do the springs. Maybe I'll get some rear uppers/lowers & just do all the suspension at the same time.

Members online

Back