Cut Losses or Keep it?

Paul Ryan

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 95 Continental, about 145,000 miles. One of the best cars I have ever owned. But when I took it in recently for a brake problem, my mechanic (a real good one) said that the brake linings both sides need replacing, ditto the gas tank. Ugh. Ok, those repairs will be $800-$900. I am borderline ok with that, but it is an old car now and although I have maintained it very well in the 2 years I have had it, possibly age is catching up, since the mechanic also says that within a year or so, the oil pan and side tranny pan will both rust out - the repair bill for each one being more costly than the $8-900 I am looking at now. So I am at a decision point on the car. I can do the current repairs, but not sure if it is worthwhile if in little while, I will have another huge bill from one or both of these other two problems on the horizon. I am not mechanical myself so would need these issues repaired by someone else. My mechanic is extremely good, but he is by the book (absolutely no shortcuts). Are the oil and tranny pan repairs going to be that costly? Or if I shop around are these repairs that can be done well without spending a fortune? In other words I am wondering if there might there be a decent mid-ground way to fix the future problems so I feel vindicated making the current repairs and keeping my great car. Or is it time to cut bait? I should mention that other than mentioned here, everything else is real good. No rust, good engine, good options, no real obvious problems so the gravity of all this is a bit of a shocker.

Thanks all..

Keep it, the repairs are cheaper then car payments :p I have a 97 she's immaculate and has a full custom sound system, h.i.d upgrade, led upgrades throughout the interior and exterior just to list a few things. Great car I simply love it and I also keep up with maintenance so that helps. Take care of it and it'll take care of you :D

Thanks Napolean. What I am doing is getting a second opinion from another mechanic. Leaning to keeping for the reasons you mention, plus I just love driving that car. I am also looking at another Conti a bit newer-just in case, but the thought of going through all the restoration stuff isn't appealing, plus I really know this car and it's little idiocyncracies. Too bad my predecessor-owner didnt worry about the undercarriage rust, however I will know better next week what to do. One piece of good news is that the initial mechanic said that unlike most cars, the Continental I have (and presumably others) have a protective plastic coating on the brake lines from the main cylinder to the driver's area and mine are pristeen. After that, these lines are exposed and that's where the rust can creep in. But apparently that coating is not a common feature on most cars? Also kudos to you. Your own car sounds like one awesome machine. When I drive anything other than a Continental now, I realize that I am spoiled terribly ... so few vehicles rise to the Conti for driving, quality, and just the overall experience.

Paul, I definitely would have to agree with you. Going from the Conti into another car just isn't the same and makes you realize just how much you love these cars. Maintenance and parts have to be replaced on all cars, you know and love this car, just as I know and love mine. It's one of those love hate relationships (Hate paying to fix things but love it when she's running strong) but if you stay on top of things you'll have less to worry about.

Here is a cardomain of my car in case you wanted to have a looksie :p

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/836894

it would be hard to find another 95 that clean with no problems. you figure you can get a 02 conti with low miles for around 6k. Not saying you have to get another conti. I would fix what needs fixing, under a grand with no other problems is pretty good. Worry about the next fix when it happens, don't let people tell you when this, this, and this are going to happen to it. When it gets to the point that you no longer want to put the money into it, start looking for a car you like. Thats my 2 cents.

When I drive anything other than a Continental now, I realize that I am spoiled terribly ... so few vehicles rise to the Conti for driving, quality, and just the overall experience.

Yeah I hear you there. I had a 97 but had to get rid of it because of rust along the...... I can't think of the name right now but the part that runs underneath the driver/pass doors on both sides rusted right on thru. I kicked the snow off my shoes one day and kicked a hole in it then it was downhill since. I miss my Conti. Got a LS now but I still miss the Conti. :(

Thanks all. GZero, good point on the wait and see for subsequent repairs. What I might do is a combination if/when this new guy fixes the immediate problem. I am one of those anticipatory types, but also realize that all cars do have a shelf life, so on the oil and trans pans will try to to get a better feel for later, and enjoy it in the meantime. btw-Napoleon, your ride looks very similar to my own, even down to the Goodrich tires. And Cmack, if that rust was on the rocker panels? About 1G for a body shop to redo them, but then there is the other stuff underneath that can be ugly too (ugh).

I see you folks live in the salt belt. My car came from California and I was the first to drive it in winter. My car has zero rust. I paid $6700 in 2006. I have put another 6000-7000 into it to refurbish the car a little so it can go forever and look nice. I never had a real hot rod and I am treating this car as my hot rod - it gets anything it wants. I am thinking I should remove the speed restriction to see how fast she will go. I figure 150 mph is not out of range...

Brady I highly doubt the conti can make it upto 150MPH the highest people have pushed their Mark VIIIs is around 145ish, and they have 280-290 Horsepower.

I can go 125 mph at 3800 rpm. The drag coefficient of the car will allow 150 mph with 250 hp. That leaves the extra power to overcome the road drag. The Conti has 3.56 gears and the VIII has 3.07 gears. By my calculations, 150 mph should be around 4900 rpm - just past peak torque. The VIII would be at lower rpm, before peak torque. I would have to push the gas pedal with both feet, but it should be close. Nice to know the Conti has more speed than the VIII... ha ha
Brad.

Epilogue:
Re: my initial note about keeping the car or selling it for another one. Well, the second mechanic's opinion paid off. He repaired the brake linings for $300, and said he could not see any issue at all with gas tank (maybe I'd overfilled it), or the side trantray - and - he can repair my oil pan (which is a bit rusted) using an epoxy, since it's basically in decent shape. Wow, talk about a good luck turn around? Of course when I brought the car home, the front air ride was down (don't ask ... it's a prima donna car), but the dealer fixed a wire that wasn't working and as of today, I have my car back 100%. Thanks to all replying to my initial query.

Members online

No members online now.
Back