Cut exhaust tips into bumper?

pektel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just reading Artur's thread, and saw how he actually cut into the bumper for his exhaust tips. I was wondering if I should do the same when I get mine installed this week. I bought camthman's old magnaflows with 3.5" rolled tips. Here's the thread with them installed on his car:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=37593

I'm wondering if the 3.5" tips are too big to only cut out the lower valance.

The shop I'm having do the work is going to let me bring my dremel to do the cut out while it's up on the lift. Which works a lot better for me than trying to do the cutout before I bring it in...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sorry, forgot to mention I have a 2000 V8

Yea you should do that, make sure you get some of the bumper too so the exhaust will sit higher.

You will probably need to lift the resonators a little bit, I would let someone else do it for me cuz it's real PITA.

I have to do the actual cutting myself. No one around here wants the liability. Is that what you're talking about being a PITA? Or the lifting of the resonators?

adjusting the resonators to bring the tips in center. Make sure you leave some space around the pipe so when the car moves it doesn't hit the bumper and make knockin noises.

also make sure you take your time with cutting. Put a paper tape around where you want to cut and then follow it up. Take it easy and slow because that plastic bumper does like to get hot and close to melting.

Paper tape? You just mean take painter's tape and apply it to the bumper before trimming it right?

ok... I wouldn't trust anyone to cut my bumper. Its good that you are doing it yourself. Most exhaust guys are VERY good and manipulating mufflers and tips to fit. I suggestion cutting what you want out of the bumper, then the exhaust person should be able to make it fit just fine.

thanks cameron. I'm actually going to be there throughout the install, so I can do the cutting while it's on the lift, and we can dry fit everything before assembly. Those tips look like they'll really dress up the rear bumper area. When are you going to put up pics/video of your new setup?

thanks cameron. I'm actually going to be there throughout the install, so I can do the cutting while it's on the lift, and we can dry fit everything before assembly. Those tips look like they'll really dress up the rear bumper area. When are you going to put up pics/video of your new setup?

Very soon. Ill probably make a video this weekend. Im still in love with the exhaust.

Thanks fot the help guys. One more question. Is a dremel with a cuting disc and sanding wheel all I will need to cut the bumper? or do I need to bring something stronger, like a coping saw or jig saw?

Dremel should do it, I would think. Just be careful because it'll generate a lot of heat and possibly melt the edges where you cut.

Cool. Thanks again. I'm headed down to the shop in a half hour!

Just got back, and not too happy. Happy with the sound, but the tips don't line up properly. They're good depth-wise, but the driver's side sits too low:

tips 1.jpg

tips2.jpg

tips3.jpg

tips4.jpg

Actually, to me they both sit too low. Should I get them both moved up higher? Or just the driver's side?

From the last picture from the rear the drivers side does look like it needs to be moved up a smidge but it is hard to tell without seeing them in person.

Did you do all the cutting and they put them on?

They look good, I was nervous to want to cut into the bumper but you got more balls than me.

You can try to push up on them and see if they'll stay..? Doesn't look too bad at all. I've seen worse lol

that looks good, the removed bumper looks oem IMO but they can do with sitting a little higher which shouldn't be such a big problem. take it back to them and i'm sure they'll do it just to make you happy, unless they are a bunch a pricks

So, the story on how they got low like they are.

When we brought it down off the lift, the driver's side was perfect. The passenger side is where it is now, which I thought was a little low. I tell the guy that I want the passenger side higher to match the driver side. He says that they are easier to bring down then up, so he sticks a piece of pipe in the driver's tip and pushes down. I hear a big "creak". He bent the metal piece that holds the rubber hanger to the frame. He says he can do the same to the other side to make them even. Of course, I wasn't happy, but figured I'd at least give it a try, and see what you guys had to say before I had him fix it. Looks like I'll be giving him a call.

And yes, jk52781, I did all the cutting. Used both a dremel and a jigsaw. I feel my cuts came out pretty good.

You can do the same thing with a piece of pipe..just stick it in and push the tails up. I know I've done that with NickT88LSC quite a few times.

Or just bring it back and have them do it. :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back