Custom Headlights

cdymyd

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just got headlights off a 93 mark viii the other day and i just finished cutting the plastic lenses off the headlight.. and I was thinking of making a mold out of the lenses and taking off the ridges that appear in the inside of the lens. Then I could use the mold and pour some plastic into that..Then when its all done juss seal the headlight back up and it would be crystal clear.

Does this sound like a good idea or would i just be wasting my time? :shifty:

no experiment is a waste of time. who knows you might be able to pull it off. if nobody ever experimented, then this hobby we all enjoy would not exist.

The hard part is getting the crystal clear or whatever material your using, the same thickness. Without injection molding the material will level itself out. On a curved lense that means a thick middle. You could make a second mold of silicone on the inside and press that into the material after you pour it, that way it would keep everything the same all the way across the lense. Make stops along the inside of the mold to get the thickness, and make additional stops on the outer mold so the second mold rests at the right height every time. Remove inner temporary stops and pour your mold. Your all set.:D Good luck.

I'd imagine a vacuum former would be the best way to do this... Make a plug with the old lens, vacuum form a new one around it.

thanks for the advice speed..i still have to make a mask of the lens. I have work all this weekend so i might not be able to get some things done till next week.. ill keep you guys posted

One thing.. If I recall correctly from when others have tried this... Those ridges actually serve to enhance and focus the light. Without those ridges I think the light is too scattered and ends up diminished as far as usefullness as a driving light.

Just FYI.

One thing.. If I recall correctly from when others have tried this... Those ridges actually serve to enhance and focus the light. Without those ridges I think the light is too scattered and ends up diminished as far as usefullness as a driving light.

Just FYI.

thats what i was thinking about if i were to get rid of them, but most cars out now barely have ridges in them like this if none at all :cool: ..so i figured its worth a go
..also i was thinking about putting something like angel eyes inside there while i have em open.

some new pics of the headlights

i wanted to get an opinion on how this would look in these headlights..i still have to rechrome the housings and a bunch of other stuff but im halfway done..heres a few pics of what it looks like so far...

ledlowbeamfar.jpg

ledlowbeamclose.jpg

thats what i was thinking about if i were to get rid of them, but most cars out now barely have ridges in them like this if none at all :cool: ..so i figured its worth a go
..also i was thinking about putting something like angel eyes inside there while i have em open.

I'd say most passenger cars had crystalline headlamp lenses from the late 90s on, but to do so the reflector designs were also changed. The divided/fluted lens on the stock '93-'96 (non LSC 95.5/96) headlamps are needed for adequate light dispersion/diffusion with their smooth parabolic reflectors.
Headlamps with crystalline lenses normally have a complex or faceted-like reflector which allows proper light dispersion with the clear lens.

That said, if you want clear lenses and still want decent lighting you should go with '95.5-'96 LSC HID headlamps. Otherwise I'd leave the divided lens alone.

Members online

No members online now.
Back