Curiosity did kill the cat, so that's why I'm just asking

brooke

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Lincoln ls v8. Absolutely love this car.... Just recently got my license back and can "legally" drive her lol wondering do these cars have a governor in them or how fast do they actually go?

Most gen 2 V8s are limited to 135, but they probably can hit 150, downhill, with a tail wind.

I have an 04 Lincoln ls v8. Absolutely love this car.... Just recently got my license back and can "legally" drive her lol wondering do these cars have a governor in them or how fast do they actually go?
First let me start by saying congrats on getting legal...Second I want to say ...keep to the speed limit so you stay legal...LOL!
481.jpg

Quik LSDedicated LVC Member
I know we have many threads on this already....

Gen1 LS V8
- non-sport is limited to 133
- sport (or sport package added) no limit but tops out at 147~ish. there is lots of rpm left on the dial it just hits a torque-vs-resistance wall

Gen2 LS V8 - all limited to 133

different mods will alter this 'slightly', differences in wheels without recalibration will cause a speedo error that may add miles.

So it has no limiter then? Sorry for the repeat question I dunt get on this site very often. And yes I plan on staying legal. Just excited to play a little. I always tell everyone she sits so low to the ground you can't see her nuts, but trust me they are under there!!! Quick fun little car. I normally drive an old Rusty but trusty Chevy beater by choice, but when I ran across this car, even being impartial to Ford's, she screamed my name with attitude, couldn't say no lol

So it has no limiter then? ...

This is exactly opposite of what we both told you. Your 2004 (2nd gen) has a limiter. It might technically be at 133 MPH, but in reality they seem to actually be at 135 MPH.

So it has no limiter then? Sorry for the repeat question I dunt get on this site very often. And yes I plan on staying legal. Just excited to play a little. I always tell everyone she sits so low to the ground you can't see her nuts, but trust me they are under there!!! Quick fun little car. I normally drive an old Rusty but trusty Chevy beater by choice, but when I ran across this car, even being impartial to Ford's, she screamed my name with attitude, couldn't say no lol
It's a snappy little V8 and yes it's fun to drive ...I suggest if you want to let go of the reins a bit you check over the suspension and tires really good...it's a more Jag than Ford to say the very least
The LS is electronically limited to 140,(according to the Owner's Manual), due to the stock tires. This is the only reason. Allot of car mfg's do this, for their tire selection on the new car.
I understand the SCT Xcal II removes this.
I saw on a thread somewhere here, that someone showed 157 mph, with the XcalII tune installed.

Not sure if Canadian made LS's differ from American, but here goes:

First and Second gen limited to 240 km/h (150 mph). Speed ratings are determined by the manufacturer provided tire. LS's come with V rating, ergo 240 km/h is the limit.

Additional source:
Myself.
My 2002 LS before mods topped out at 240 kmh. Tested several times. Again and again, needle wont budge pass 240 km/h STOCK.

After Mods:
Magnaflow cat back, CAI, Tune by KBX performance.

Personal top speed: Unknown, over 260 km/h (160 mph). I buried my speedometer at 260 and the RPM kept going. First Gen Canadian LS's show 260km/h (as the top speed. Only did this once.
I hit 260 km/h at around 4800'ish RPM 5th gear. Speedo now pinned, my RPM went to about 5200 before I ran out of road and had to shut the run down.
Based on my rate of acceleration, I estimate I hit around 265 km/h.

Last edited:
First Gen LS's had better pull on the top end due to diff and gearing.

Source:
ME, owned a 2002, 2005, and now 2004.

In this following video (I apologize for the poor quality, filmed at night years ago using phone) I raced my Modded 2002 LS (Camera car) which has Cat back, CAI, tune against my wifes STOCK 2005.

Video Interpretation:
@ 0:07 seconds 3 honks begins, both cars roll starting @40km/h. My 2002 in second gear.
@0:09 seconds both vehicles floor it
@0:16 seconds wifes 2005 LS tail lights seen through my FRONT PASSENGER window, I am losing the race.
@0:21 seconds my 2002 LS nears the end of its tall 3rd gear, and closed the gap, both cars neck and neck.
@0:26 seconds wifes 2005 LS headlights seen in my REAR VIEW mirror. I am now kicking her sorry 2nd gen ass.
@0:30 seconds speedo shows 180 km/h (112 mph).

Theres one way to find out.. But do it on a track. Theres people with kids out there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back