Cruise control + manual trans

oddball

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Yeah, read that right. A friend has a '99 town car that is his continual project. Lots of body modifications, side pipes, etc.

Latest effort was swapping in a manual tranny using a procedure documented for the Mercs. This was actually surprisingly easy. He was referred to a particular tuner to get an SCT tune. That vendor has been unsupportive after the initial purchase.

The car runs great, everything works except the cruise control. Anyone have some in depth knowledge of the module?

Speedometer works just fine, so I assume the VSS is in good shape. He did get a code for something along the lines of intermittent VSS signal. I unfortunately don't have the code handy. He said there's normally an indication immediately when turning on the cruise control (a light? dash indicator? something?) that isn't happening anymore.

Simple things are checked, like fuses and wiring to the cruise control module. He even swapped in a junkyard unit just in case.

The tranny range selector is hardwired to neutral. My thought is that's the next culprit, but not certain if wiring to drive will mess it up otherwise. The neutral safety start has its own pins, so messing with that is an option.

Anyway, looking for ideas. Thanks!

At first read, I bet you're right. I dont know of any Panther that stays in cruise if it were in neutral. I'd look at that real close.

Members online

No members online now.
Back