Creaky brakes?

pektel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I know it's not pads/rotors. But lately when I depress the brake pedal, it creaks pretty loudly. I can be sitting still, vehicle in park, and make a creaky mattress noise by partially pressing/depressing the brake pedal. Almost sounds like it could be some type of linkage. Am I on the right path for diagnosis? Never heard of any type of linkage issue with the brake pedal before, so I'm doubting that's the issue.

Comments/suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance. :D

Well, I know it's not pads/rotors. But lately when I depress the brake pedal, it creaks pretty loudly. I can be sitting still, vehicle in park, and make a creaky mattress noise by partially pressing/depressing the brake pedal. Almost sounds like it could be some type of linkage. Am I on the right path for diagnosis? Never heard of any type of linkage issue with the brake pedal before, so I'm doubting that's the issue.

Comments/suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance. :D

I just experienced the same exact thing last week and i just replaced the pads and rotors 6 months ago. I remove the front pads,rotors,calipers and all associated hardware hit all the places that were supposed to have brake lube/brake quiet and resembled. My creak is almost all gone.

When i first started driving my ls daily back in 09, i had a creak in the pedal. Had a mechanic friend listen, then he sprayed some pb blaster up above the pedal. I guess there is a spring or something up there. Its been gone ever since

When i first started driving my ls daily back in 09, i had a creak in the pedal. Had a mechanic friend listen, then he sprayed some pb blaster up above the pedal. I guess there is a spring or something up there. Its been gone ever since

Yeah, mine is sometimes like that, clearly coming from the pedal (inside the cabin).

It does sound like a spring, though I thought I could hear it outside too. I'll take another look on the way home.

Thanks for the suggestions. :D

I have the same issue and it's def coming from the front calipers. I can slowly depress the pedal and hear it creak up front like an old ass house.

when this was happening to my car, it ended up being the brake master cylinder if i can remember correctly

I have the same issue and it's def coming from the front calipers. I can slowly depress the pedal and hear it creak up front like an old ass house.

When I had this issue I had to replace the caliper.

I figure it's doing it because i was thinking about driving the ls to Atlanta tomorrow. guess i get to ride in a freaking minivan with my gf, her parents, and my two kids.

Dont sleep on the minivan lol (depends on which kind)
My family and i took a 2012 grand caravan to nc, then tn. Thise things are quite comfy. But i feel you on the 'freaking minivan' tho

It's the only vehicle between all of us that will hold 6 people. Easily 10 years old, Plymouth Voyager IIRC. Purple.

It's the only vehicle between all of us that will hold 6 people. Easily 10 years old, Plymouth Voyager IIRC. Purple.

Wonder what an LS stretch limo would look like....

You need one of these.......

paper-bag-head.jpg

Wife's front calipers were making noise last week. Broke line loose @ calipher after pumping up pedal, engine off. Top off brake fluid bowl. Good fluid flow. Applied Never Seize to outside metal of caliphers. Re-assembled, no more noise. Old mechanics trick, very light coat, just looks wet. WD40 or PB on pedal good idea anytime! Remember WD40 has water in it, PB doesn't, thats why locksmiths learned not to use WD40. PB 50 is a real good product also just to lube. I use liquid or powder graphite most of the time on vehicles. Best stuff during winter cold!

Thread revival Help me!

I'm having a similar issue to the one Pek described above. Been battling this issue (along with many others :() for a few weeks now and have not been able to resolve it.

Somebackground...this issue started a couple of weeks after installing SS lines in all 4 corners. Everything seemed well after the install until one day i started feeling like the ABS would kick in (grinding feeling) intermittently as I would come to a stop(Normal braking). Sort of ignored it, until a day or 2 later ABS and advantrac lights came on. It was early in the week so I didn't have time to look at it or have it looked it, so I drove it like that until the weekend. ABS light stayed on but the advancetrac would go on and off during those few days.

So that weekend I jacked up the front end, removed the wheels and began looking around. I thought maybe I had zip tied the brake line and abs cable too tight and it had yanked off the abs sensor or something, but everything seemed ok. Unplugged both sensors (from the connectors not the hub) and reconnected them. Put it everything back together and took her for a drive. Lights were still on but after a few miles they went away and everything seemed ok again. ABS didnt kick anymore. However, a couple of days later everything started up again (abs kicking in intermittently kicking in followed by ABS and advancetrac lights).

Pretty busy during the week with work so I drove it like that for the following week. Lights went away as well as that feeling when the ABS kicks in BUT a clicking/popping noise that could be heard from the outside (windows open) started, again as I came to a stop. Took the car to the mechanic that weekend and of course there was no noise, no lights, or ABS kicking in. It was kind of late in the day so he didn't get a chance to get too deep into it.

Anyway, drove the car like that for another couple of weeks and the noise persisted so took it back to the mechanic. And AGAIN this frigging car did not make the noise during the test drive. He had some time this time so he plugged in his thingy ma jig and read the code. Tells me there was no communication with the drivers side (which is from where i thought the noise was coming from) abs sensor. Went home ordered that part.

Well later that night I take my girl out, and as if the clicking noise wasn't embarrassing enough, the clicking turned into a loud creaking noise as I would come to a stop and even as the car was moving until 10mph or so and then it would go away. When I parked, I pushed up down on the suspension and could still hear a bit of click. The next day I took everything apart again, and this time unplugged the sensor from the hub. The screw holding it in seemed to be relatively loose. Pulled the sensor out and found some red-ish dust on it like rust color. Cleaned it up as best I could and tried to blow out whatever was inside the hub, no compressed air tho. Well put it back together and the creak was gone. The car was braking fine and everything, not lights on the dash either. I FIXED IT! I thought...

WELL, monday morning I get in the car to drive to work and to my surprise the creaking noise is back just as loud as ever. Drove it like that until yesterday that I got my new sensor in the mail. Pulled the old one out and it was dirty again with that red dust. Replaced it, and drove the car. Noise was gone again and braking actually felt better. Took a trip to Philly (1hr+ each way) to pick up some parts, and as I'm getting there I start noticing the ABS kicking in again under normal braking. Not long after, the annoyingly loud creaking starts up again. I noticed the ABS stops kicking in when the noise starts. Now we're here. I'm lost.

What else could it be? the hub? Had the suspension checked and everything seems good, so I doubt the noise is related to my suspension.

Quick video, you might need headphones. The noise is actually not bad in this video in comparison to how bad its been. You can hear it best around 0:45-0:50:
th_E971BE77-6D7D-4828-8A20-A8B700194F47-4621-000002289769C650_zpsc91410e6.jpg

Sorry for the long story, just trying to give as many details as possible. Hopefully someone has the time to read it and help me out.

Thanks guys.

Can the hub be cleaned? Like i mentioned the noise goes away when i pull out the sensor and clean it. Maybe if i suck out all the dust in there?

Or should I just replace?

Thanks J, i've done them in the past and i agree not bad at all.

If the hub is only making noise and not causing any other issues then I would try to clean it out, maybe there's dirt in it or whatever... but if it's causing any issues or if it's loose, I would replace it. From what I was told - heavier/bigger wheels put more stress on the hub causing them to fail prematurely.

Back again...

So i replaced the Hub and the noise went away for a few weeks but not its starting to come back.

Im working outside right now, took my brakes apart.

I'm having a creaking noise coming from my front drivers side everytime i apply the brakes to come to a stop as well as an almost like a popping sound that seems to come from the engine bay, reservoir area? Not from higher speeds (at least its not audible in the cabin) but from 15-0mph.

Took the brakes apart today. Compresed the pistons, closed up the reservoir, and pressed on the pedal with the caliper off to see what happened and found this:
null_zpsb3a217b1.jpg

I'm very inclined to believe this is not normal but im no pro, and dont know if maybe the caliper acts weird if the brakes are applied with no resistance from the brake pads and rotors. Is this a bad caliper? Could it be causing my issue?

Also eventho my brake fluid level seems to be ok, it seems like a small amount gets past the cap and leaking out. i've cleaned up the reservoir and closed the cap tightly several times. Is this related? Is the cap not making a good enough seal? The car seems to be stopping fine otherwise.

Hopefully someone will answer quickly before i have to take the other side apart. Thanks in advance.

I would hold a little pressure against the piston that extended to see if the other one would start coming out then. If one has a little more friction than the other, then only the one with the lowest friction will start to extend if there is no pressure against them. If you put pressure against it and the other one still won't come out, then you have a problem.

I would just put the caliper back on and pump your brakes a few times, then take it off to see if both pistons extended out. Might need to start the engine to draw vacuum if it's too tight to remove.

Did as Joe said and the other piston did extend out. Put everything back together and the noise is gone :confused: but im sure itll be back. Its happened before. I take everything apart. Fiddle with it. Put it back together and the noise goes away for a day or 2. Then comes back. Ugh.

Anyway of testing if the master cylinder is bad?

Members online

No members online now.
Back