crap no start

Jeffintampa

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
got in at work started right up been running good. Went to the store started right up, dropped off the grocerys and wouldn't start. Turns over good, kinda a light stumble just wont start, changed the cam postion sensor still nothing.

Whats next?

I would try unplugging then plugging in the crankshaft position sensor first.

Also, can you hear the fuel pump running when you key on?

Is the cam shaft and crank the same. I bought a new one and put it in right behide the power steering res. I don't think I have ever heard my fuel pump kick on will have to have some one turn the key while I crawl under and listen thanks for the imput

The crankshaft position sensor is behind the AC compressor, which is on the front passenger side of the engine.

I'm currently struggling with a similar issue where my '97 will randomly die. I'm pretty confident that it must be cam sensor, crank sensor or fuel pump.

i do not believe a cam sensor will produce a no start condition.
i've started a few cars with them unplugged, and they produced only a check engine light. sometimes.

check for fuel/pressure at fuel rails by pressing shrodder valve, if gas sprays out you have no issues with pump then check for oil on spark plugs which could be oil leaking from head saturating your plugs with oil.

Missing/busted cam sensor will not create no start. At worst it will take longer to crank over than normal.

Thank you all, I will update you on what it was. I called AAA and had it towed to the shop down the street.

crank%20cam%20sensor.jpg

same locations for Gen 1 and Gen 2

Well just got off the phone with the shop, They said fuel pump (understandable 20 years old) I told them to change the fuel filter while they are at it. 5-6 is the ball park they gave me. How hard is it to change the fuel pump?

About as difficult to change as any other fuel pump. If the tank is empty it's not that hard especially if it's a southern car and there's no rust.

Well she runs again, and pretty good for a 96 with 202,000 It cost me 511.00 365 fuel pump or what ever (saw in on rockauto for 265 for a good one) and 150 install. No fuel filter change, pretty sure I can handle that.

Abe lives on......

get that FF replaced asap.
im surprised the shop didnt force you to in order to get a warranty on the pump(mandated by pump manufacturer)

Shoot, setting back at the shop that put it in. I drove it 3 days and the gas gauge did not seem to change. I called and he said fill it up and see if it moves to full. I filled it to one click on the auto shut off, went in for a pack of smokes and a soda, when I came out probably a gallon or two of gas puddled under my car.

Sounds like 2 separate issues (gauge not moving and the puddle).
The puddle was probably caused by the vent or filler neck hose not being attached properly.
There's a few different ways they could have messed up the sending unit. I found that with the fuel pump disconnected that the gauge and computer thought it was out of gas (so it must share the pumps ground). Or who knows, the float's arm could have gotten bent or hung up on something.

Sounds like 2 separate issues (gauge not moving and the puddle).
The puddle was probably caused by the vent or filler neck hose not being attached properly.
There's a few different ways they could have messed up the sending unit. I found that with the fuel pump disconnected that the gauge and computer thought it was out of gas (so it must share the pumps ground). Or who knows, the float's arm could have gotten bent or hung up on something.

Well what it seems it was the gasket around the fuel pump leaked like a sieve. They fixed that and I will have to drive it for a while as it shows full.

Members online

Back