Cranks, No Start, PATS code 16

Searcher1

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd double check what I've done so far against the collective wisdom of the board before I plan on sending the car to the dealer.
2000 V6 Automatic
Cranks at good speed but does not fire. Had driven the car for about an hour earlier in the day with no issues.
Rapid flashing from PATS light on dash, soon switches to flashing code 16.
Test light confirms power on both sides of all active mini ATC fuses in all three fuse boxes.
Visual inspection of all FMX fuses finds no indication of a blown fuse
Swapped PCM relay (14) with heated wiper relay (12) to no change. Then swapped with another similar relay with no change.
No visible corrosion on PCM relay connections. Test light confirms power on one PCM relay connector key off. Two connectors with the key on.
Instrument cluster with key on shows Odometer, Check Engine light, Oil and Battery lights, and, oddly, the Traction Control light.

Anyone with any other ideas before I ship it to the dealer? Thanks.

Sorry it took so long to get back with an update but life happened and all that.

Anyway, some further diagnostics found that there was no PCM communication with a scan tool while at the same time there was sensor reference voltage of 4.89 volts indicating the PCM was getting power and signal return voltage was .003 which indicated PCM ground was acceptable. All of this was consistent with a PCM failure so it was removed and sent to SIA Electronics in Illinois for repair.

Unfortunately they found that the failure "involved the central processor" and therefore the unit was not repairable and shipped it back to me for use as a core if necessary. They did not offer to sell me one outright and me being half asleep didn't think to ask but I presume that means they don't have any to sell. An online vendor by the name of Flagship 1 claims to have them in stock for $160 so I'll probably go with that since Cardone units available through most parts stores are $390. Since this PCM is No Longer Available through Ford my local Ford dealer agreed to do the necessary work to get PATS and the new PCM to play nice with each other.

So between work, weather, and other things this will drag on at least another month before there's a final resolution. Probably more.

Car runs again, finally. Unfortunately it's not quite fixed though. I installed the Cardone reman unit once the weather turned for the better and the dealer did a parameter reset. After new keys of course. That got the car running but now it has a misfire on cylinder 3 and I'll bet that reman PCM has a bad coil driver for #3 because the car didn't have any misfire issues before. I'll have to diagnose that and if my suspicion proves true I'll send the PCM off for repair. Should only take 4 or 5 more months lol!

Members online

Back