Cranking problems, can’t figure it out.

00LincLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have a 00’ LS and replaced the battery with a new one about 2 weeks ago. Put the new battery in and it cranked up just fine. For the next couple of days it started up with no problems at all. Went to go crank it the other day and it won’t start. You turn the key and it sounds like it’s turning over but just can’t get there. Went to crank it again and it started right up. Drove it around for about 20 minutes, parked it and came back out to leave again and it’s not wanting to crank again. So I know it’s not the battery and I can hear the mechanisms clicking when I turn the key but not starting it. So that would mean the starter is working correct? So I’m not sure if the starter is going bad or if it’s the alternator or something else that I’m completely missing since I’ve eliminated there being a fuel problem and the battery. Any ideas?

Assuming that you haven't been charging the battery or jumping the car off, then it is probably not the alternator. The starter itself seems like a good suspect, but it could be the wiring between the battery and the starter. There is more of it than with most cars. The way to tell would be to measure the voltage drop between the battery and the starter (both the positive side and the ground side) when it is not starting correctly.

If you have had to jump it and/or charge it, then along with a possible bad alternator, is the possibility of a parasitic drain.

No haven’t needed to jump it. It’s a completely brand new battery that was placed it. I’ll try and test the starter and see what the voltages are.

No haven’t needed to jump it. It’s a completely brand new battery that was placed it. I’ll try and test the starter and see what the voltages are.
O’ Rielly’s Can test all three ...Starter, battery, and alternator with their battery testing tool...make sure all the relays in trunk are looking good and not burnt or sketchy looking when replacing battery in this car it can be finicky...and if you ever have to jump the car it’s not uncommon to blow out the fuel pump relay or other fuses

Members online

Back