Couple different questions.

Kbwalker23

LVC Member
Reaction score
I read through the Lincoln Tech guides but didn't find any answers to these specific questions, if there is an answer somewhere feel free to just post the link!

Car - 05 Lincoln LS 3.9L

-1. Can't find the Heater air bleed in the shown area.
Don't know if the Engine Air Bleed is the the cap on the house before the Thermostat housing or something else?

2. I'm having to replace the upper radiator hose due to the plastic piece breaking, so I was trying to find a diagram or list of the plastic components of the cooling system to know where to check for additional leaks/cracks/wear, besides the Degas Bottle.

3. Occasionally when started, especially on cold days, the electronic parking break starts alerting me it's on, to "Apply Foot Break", to Service the parking break, then goes away and until the next time I start it on a cold day. (Doesn't happen everytime, seems a little random, haven't found any common ground besides it being cold.) And no I never use the parking break, I lI've in the high plains (Completely flat area)

4. Rattle clips on breaks.
Can't find a diagram of what they look like/how their supposed to be connected. I know some of the cheap sets don't seem to have any with them, but that apparently they come attached to the OEM versions? Auto parts stores are useless on this end, and my other vehicles had stand alone rattle clips.

1. This is what it looks like.
http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...3930598-coolant-drain-flush-fill-100_8702.jpg
Engine fill is the cap at thermostat housing. Gen I calls it a engine air bleed, gen II calls it engine fill. Are you going by the correct bleed instructions for gen II?
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

2. Yeah, you have way more to do. It all fails at about the same time. Do it all now, or be working on your LS every weekend for a while.
GenII LS8 Cooling System Overhaul

3. Often, this is a warning sign that your battery is weak.

4. The brake anti-rattle cilps - Front: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
Note that the bigger clips go on item 7.
Rear: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
Note that the rear pistons have to be rotated as they are pushed back in. A brake tool is required. 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

OK cool, thanks on all of that, I only have a concern with the first question still. If it will link heres a picture of that area, and yes I was going by those bleed instructions.
I can't find the Heater bleed anywhere, not tucked back, not leading to the left, unless I'm looking right at it and don't see it, which is possible.

20170130_163150.jpg

20170130_163146.jpg

20170130_163141.jpg

Wow, kind of nasty.
On the firewall is a metal tube assembly. The lower connection pointed towards the degas bottle, has the hose from the bottom of the degas bottle attached. If you go back from there to the left a little, The pipe tees up and left. Follow the upper branch of the tee and it turns back to the right (towards the degas bottle). At the end of this part of the tee, the heater bleed hose is attached. The bleed screw is at the end of this hose. It'll be there, someone for reasons unknown just didn't clip it back in at the degas bottle.

Yea, bought it as a repo for 2200(110k miles) and it's been very obvious the last owners did almost no maintenence besides the oil, A/C was out, almost half of the fuses had the wrong size one in it, left the wiring for a aftermarket sub in the trunk, everything still plugged in, shocks are shot, no anti rattle brake clips, I mean I could go on but you get the gist lol. I'm trying to piece it all back together.
It has the audiophile system, 18' stock wheels, heated/cooled, sunroof, Idk if it's the Ultimate or the Sport Plus?

But thanks, that hose broke on me on the road, so tomorrow morning when I get into that I'll see if I can find that bleeder and let you know!

Last edited:
Another note, I've been nervous to wash out the engine bay, just have been told to never do it on an older car, I haven't had any issues with oil or the engine itself, should I just leave it be like I have or do yall think it would be fine to spray it out?

You can clean the engine bay. I wouldn't spray water in there every day, but once in a while is fine. Use some engine cleaner too.
If you don't have THX navigation, then it's not an ultimate. Ultimates also got different wheels. No such thing as sport plus. There is/was premium sport. What you describe so far does not make it premium, but you may not have mentioned everything. There were never, ever 18" stock wheels. Stock sport wheels were 17", non-sport were 16". By the way, you stop your car with brakes, if you fail to stop in time, then you might break something.

Anti rattle brake clips* and yea the 17" Wheels, my bad, and I'm unfamiliar with Lincoln, so my package knowledge comes from 14-16, when I was selling cars for Dodge/BMW.
It has an old school Bluetooth set up, "loaded" steering wheel, dual temp, convenience lights in the mirriors, electric everything, don't know what to specifically look for?

But OK cool, I definitely need to wash it out, and the drunk has a uh, unique?, smell to it, but with the battery there I haven't used anything on it.

I appreciate your time man, been a huge help!
I guess is there any references for the 05 I should know? I'm guessing it's 2nd Gen from what u said above, but any others to look out for? Been searching through the forums but a lot of it is kind of shorthanded? (Not complaining at all, just I am clueless with Lincoln/Ford, I've only worked on Dodge/Chevy/Honda)

Bluetooth is aftermarket or dealer add.
"loaded" steering wheel, dual temp, convenience lights in the mirriors, electric everything, is all standard. Go to the site below and enter your VIN to see what you have and what you don't.
Vehicle Lookup

Yes, 2003 to 2006 is gen II. The service manual below fully applies to your 05
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual -- brought to you by Owlman

tip on washing the engine... be careful spraying water near the coil covers, they are known to not be 100% water tight, especially where the wires enter under the cover at the rear. a quick hose down should be fine* and not let much water down past, but prolonged spraying may and well water down in the coil wells is a common LS problem.

*on the V8. with a V6 any water spraying on the top of the motor will fill the wells and the car will have to sit and dry before the engine can be ran as the V6 does not have coil covers and rely on the coil boot and the fact that water shouldn't be splashing near there to keep the water out.

Well I chased down the only Upper Radiator hose for this car in the entire town, the ford dealerships didn't even have any in stock, and after installing it found that the, Heater Intake Hose, that runs from underneath the URH, wasn't the correct one, and that ford has discontinued the part, and I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to look like? I rigged up 2 different hoses with a 2 way adapter but I'd prefer to fix it right.
Anyone have a part # or link to one? Tried searching for one but it keeps giving me Navigator parts.

I did end up finding that Heater Bleeder Hose! You were right it was tucked back underneath the hoses to the left of my pictures, so thanks for that! And I followed that step by step 2nd Gen guide u listed after getting it back home and everything seems to be in order except the rigging I had to do to get the repair to work.

And I'm sorry lol, I know it's annoying but one last generic question.
Is the temp indicator supposed to be at like 40-45% or is this the proper operating temp?

1485994640962-578142647.jpg

That's the correct gauge position. Unfortunately, that doesn't say for certain that the temp is correct. The gauge is highly buffered.

For reasons unknown to me, that heater hose seems to be a problem.
One site gives the part number as 3W4Z-18472-BA for the V8 and 3W4Z-18472-AD as the V6. Another site has it the other way around. Which of these two part numbers did you get? It must be the other one that you need.

They couldn't give me a part # since it was discontinued, and O'Reillys had to special order an aftermarket one which would of taken 5-7 days with a 10$ freight charge and the car was stuck on the side of the interstate.
So I kind of "southern engineered" it, bought a 1"hose, an adapter that was as close as I could get, and connected the old one that didn't fit and that one together for now.

1486079889385648218243.jpg

Well, I found a picture on line of the 3W4Z-18472-BA, and if memory serves, it's not the correct one. I think that the correct one is the same size at both ends, but the one pictured was bigger at one end.

Hose is slightly larger where it goes on the de-gas bottle nipple.

KS

I don't know what hose you are talking about, but it's not the heater hose we are talking about. That hose goes from the tee in the upper radiator hose to the inlet on the DCCV. This is the opposite corner under the hood from where the degas bottle is.

Well I chased down the only Upper Radiator hose for this car in the entire town, the ford dealerships didn't even have any in stock, and after installing it found that the, Heater Intake Hose, that runs from underneath the URH, wasn't the correct one, ...

The original hose was the same size at the both ends, but the new Upper Rad Hose had a 1 inch connection in the bottom, so it didn't seen that much bigger when comparing the two but it won't fit, it started ripping the hose before it would ever pass the lip.
The hose O'Reilly /Ford said I need is bigger at the top and smaller at the end,

The original hose was the same size at the both ends, but the new Upper Rad Hose had a 1 inch connection in the bottom, so it didn't seen that much bigger when comparing the two but it won't fit, it started ripping the hose before it would ever pass the lip.
The hose O'Reilly /Ford said I need is bigger at the top and smaller at the end,

Interesting. The two upper radiator hoses that I bought had the correct sized (same as original hoses) connections to fit the original heater hoses. So it sounds like the upper radiator hose has changed, and so the heater hose needs to change with it. In that case, maybe you do need 3W4Z-18472-BA.

Yea, that's the part they said ford discontinued that I had to order aftermarket.

My original URH connection for the heater inlet hose was straight downwards and had 3 little lips on it, and was approx 1 inch downwards, the new one has a 45 degree angle (towards front right tire) is approx 2 inches long and has 1 huge lip on it, I left my original one in the friends car or i'd show a comparison, but the new one is the only one u see images for. I've been searching but the closest to the original that I can see is for a 02 thunderbird

Last edited:

Members online

Back