Couple different problems

Swimmer121

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

this forum has been extremely helpful when working on my LS. I appreciate all the great information.

I own a 2003 3.9L V8 with about 115K miles. Purchased it back in January with 110K. Replaced all COP's, associated gaskets, serviced transmission, oil changed, some of the basics. There are 5 things that I'd appreciate some help with. I apologize in advanced if I should separate these issues out into separate threads. New to the forum :)

First, I need to change the fluid in the differential but recently noticed that it is leaking. Maybe 2-3 drips a day, it is a minimal leak (either because it is low on fluid or it just is a slow leak, not sure). Are the seals relatively easy to replace? I'm not sure how long it has been leaking for.

Second, I was being lazy the other day and took the car through a drive-through car wash. The wash scratched up my car pretty badly and took paint off all the way around. Has anyone had any difficulties with paint shops matching the original paint color? The paint code is GT (metallic red), and I'd like to repaint it to the same color. Obviously it is dependent on the shop, but I was just wondering if anyone has had problems with shops matching their original colors?

Thirdly, I need to replace the rear driver side lock actuator. I searched on ebay, rockauto, and a couple other sites but no one seems to have the actuator. Does anyone have a website where they order parts off of that I could check? I read on a couple other threads that it is a tough job, so I might just forget it.

Fourth, the original MAF went out a couple weeks ago. The car was idling really rough. I got codes for bad O2 sensors, but when I unplugged the MAF the car would idle perfectly. I replaced the MAF with a new Dorman from rockauto. It ran perfectly for a week or two, but the other day it started running rough again. Could a bad wiring harness be causing the MAF's to go bad? I don't really want to spend more money on a new MAF, but if I have to I will. When trying to pass cars the LS seems underpowered and has a hard time getting up to speed to pass (sluggish). Not sure if its related to this same issue.

Lastly, is the AC. I know there are lots of threads regarding the DCCV, and I saw the sticky with some information about it, but to be honest all the threads are overwhelming to sift through. The AC blows cold when the car is cold, but as the car warms up so does the AC. When I turn the AC off I can feel warm air coming out of the vents. Is this something related to the DCCV?

Any help would be much appreciated. Again, sorry if I should separate these out into different posts.

1. Will be fun, but I wouldn't put it off. You'll have to drop the exhaust, and the whole rear end.

3. 6W4Z-5421813-B. Lots of places have it. Here's one: http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-module_6w4z-5421813-b.html
Tasca has it for a little less.

4. Could be the Dorman part, or do you have an aftermarket intake? Do you use an oiled filter?

5. The threads should be really clear on this. It's your DCCV.

Thanks for the reply and the help.

3. thanks for the link

4. I just have the stock intake on it. One of the plastic clips that holds the airbox is broken so I don't get a 100% tight seal, I think there is a small gap. I use the basic FRAM paper air filter, not oiled.

2: my car is also red (GT) I've had a grille and a door handle painted (separately) both are a damn good match, but as with most paint and in an area that is not being blended it is not a perfect match. it shows more in direct sun and isn't too noticeable in overcast conditions. also should be noted that its pretty easy to tell they are newer because all the other paint has a decade of wear on it and has a little less shine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back