Could someone please help me?

y2flyy

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been looking forever for a chrome grill for my new 2004 ls. Its tan and I want one that looks like or are the oem grill that are on the 2005 ls.
They look like this

Thanks to anyone who can help

540597_59_full.jpg

That grill is from the 00-02 model LS - there were 2-piece - a chrome cap and various versions of the lower vents.

All the grills fit all the model years - many 00-02 owner love the 04 grills and have been buying, painting and install them.

Sounds like you want to go the other way. Trenz makes a billet grill the goes with the chrome cap for the 00-02 model years.

That looks like the kit you can find on ebay. It is pieces of chrome plated plastic that are attached directly over the stock black pieces on the older grills, not sure about 04.

Thanks quik but I still couldnt find it on that site. could someone please give me a link or something. If possible for the oem chrome grill that would fit a 2004.

if you go with a Trenz grill - remember it only replaces the lower black plastic - you still have to get the chrome cap from a 00-02 LS. Unfortunately the dealer cannot sell you the cap only - it comes as a complete grill. Here is the Trenz grill on e-bay -> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7949243054&category=33645

The picture you showed is a 00-02 stock grill with chrome weather stripping cut and pushed onto the vanes of the lower black grill. you can get them from e-bay -> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7949219149&category=33645 or even pick up the chrome thick door edging from AutoZone/PepBoys

thanks you guys are the greatest always very helpful and knowledgeable
i think i'm going to go with the chrome strips on ebay that surfjack talked about
Thanks again

I amused myself this weekend, since I am going to upgrade (probably) to a Mclaren grill I got some chrome strips and put on the grill.. Simply Peel-n-Press.. From ebay... Looks pretty good... Gonna take some pics tommorow for ya.. The only problem is that you have to custom cut each piece sine the grills slightly turn inward and leave the bottom edge angled... Took about 3-4 strips (of the 22 you get) to get the pattern down.. Impressed.. I'll post pics tommorow

that looks excellent. i've been thinking of buying those stripes..

how flexible are the stripes?

thanks alot for those pics LBK an amazing difference for just 30 bucks
how durable do they feel????
could you explain how you had to install them????
thanks again

I like the layer of dirt.. Gives it that Texas Flair! :slam

They're pretty durable.. they're about 1/8" thick. I sprayed mine w/ a thin layer of clear coat before putting them on to make them alittle bit more durable w/ some extra protection (not much though ;))

They come in different rectangular strips of different lengths.. One for each strip on your grill + 1/8" for trimming. I took off my grill, cleaned and used some degreaser I had laying around. Put the grill on the ground, lined up my strips so that I know which strip goes to each strip on the grill.. The last thing I wanted was to end up w/ a short strip of chrome for a long strip on the grill.

I put the top of each strip along the top lip of the grill.. Then I made a mark on each side at the bottom of the strip where it meets the grill.. (One side of each strip was higher or at an angle the farther away from the center). Cutting the strips w/ wire snips... The rest was peel and seal.

Took me about 30 minutes to put on the strips once I got the rythmn down.

ummm.. You could leave it on.. I just found it easier... But I could have done it without takin it off.. It's just four simple screws and four compression clips... Easy to take off.. But would be just a easy having it on...

I'll have to post some pics of my new grill. I bought the Mcclaren, but cut out the inside plastic holes, and then repolaced that with stainless mesh. It was completely custom...I've only seen 1 other like it. I think it turned out pretty nice, despite the time it took to get it right.

Hey LBK_LS I just got my package of chrome slates in the mail and I was reading over the instructions. I don't understand number #3 it doesnt say where to apply the lacquer to (sorry if a stupid question). Here are the instructions below

IMPORTANT!!!!
If you have any problems with your order or are unsatisfied for any reason, please extend the courtesy and abide by EBAY'S POLICY of emailing us before leaving neutral or negative feedback. We WILL work with you to come to an agreement we are BOTH happy with, that is our PROMISE. Any buyers who fail to email us before leaving feedback will NOT be eligible for any sort of refund, and they run the risk of having appropriate feedback left for them for violating this EBAY POLICY. Thanks!
Chrome grille insert installation procedure
Tools required: Sharp scissors or wire cutters, rubbing alcohol, clear coat lacquer..
1). Clean entire OEM grille using alcohol / grease remover.
2). "Step two only applies to vehicle that require slats to be trimmed**
Some models will require the ends of each insert to be trimmed for correct fitment. Perform all cutting with a set of sharp scissors or wire cutters.
The reason the inserts need to be cut for most applications is simply because I've found that individuals prefer custom fitment of each insert. Some prefer a tight fit where the inserts come in contact with the rim of the grille, while others prefer to leave space.
3). Once the appropriate cut has been made, apply a thin coat of clear coat lacquer to ensure water doesn't penetrate the insert.
4). Remove the red adhesive protective film and carefully apply insert to the middle of the vehicles' grille. For applications with numbered slats such as the PT cruiser and some Lexus, GMC and Jaguar models, please read below.
* For PT Cruiser and some Lexus, GMC, and Jaguar models, the back of each inserts are numbered to ease installation. Each insert is number according to it's placement on the grille, starting from the absolute top, or for some applications the absolute left side. For example, the PT cruiser has a total of 10 slats. Number one is the first slat (absolute top of grille), and the 10th slat is the last slat (absolute bottom of grille).
** For some Nissan and Range Rover models, the OEM grille slat is thicker then the chrome inserts. Be sure to apply each chrome inserts directly in the middle of each slat**
***Lincoln Navigator inserts are to be applied to the front of each slat.
TIPS
To ensure proper adhesion, it is advisable to apply the inserts at a temperature of 65 degrees or above. Make sure the inserts stay dry for at least 24 hours after installation.

y2flyy said:
. I don't understand number #3 it doesnt say where to apply the lacquer to (sorry if a stupid question). Here are the instructions below

3). Once the appropriate cut has been made, apply a thin coat of clear coat lacquer to ensure water doesn't penetrate the insert.

I applied the clear coat to the chrome part, and on each end... On the chrome so that it gives it that "little" bit of protection.. and on each end so that water can't seep in between the chrome and the inside

Members online

Back