Cost to repaint your LS?

Carlos B

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello I'd like to figure out the cost to repaint my 02 LS. I have visited various paint shops charging me from 300 to 1,000 bucks. Are these correct? I would like a nice black LS.

$300-$1000? what are they using? aresol cans? A quality paint job ( not maaco with backspray everywhere topped with runs) can run anywhere from 3,000 to the skys the limit depending on what you want done.

you get what you pay for, spraying the paint is super easy, good prep work takes a lot of time, at that price, they can not be putting in that many hours of prep work. expect those jobs to look bad from the start and get way worse fairly quickly. also at those kinds of prices, they are not going to be spend much time taking parts of the car off and putting them back on that shouldn't be painted.

also you can pretty much bet on doubling or tripling the price if the car is not already that color to begin with.

also if you are thinking about skimping on any of the prep work, then pick a different color. black cars magnify every little imperfection.

just sell your car and buy a black LS... it will be hell of a lot cheaper

Honestly, this is the best option unless you're completely committed to your car, or you can afford the big bucks this job will cost. You could go with Plastidip, which would probably require a lot less prep and could be done for around $1000 USD I believe. There's also vinyl wrap you can buy, not too sure on the cost / quality associated with that though.

Really, this is an old car that's only going to continue to depreciate.

But hell, I just dropped 4k on mine for various upgrades so who am I to judge lol.

Honestly, this is the best option unless you're completely committed to your car, or you can afford the big bucks this job will cost. You could go with Plastidip, which would probably require a lot less prep and could be done for around $1000 USD I believe. There's also vinyl wrap you can buy, not too sure on the cost / quality associated with that though.

Really, this is an old car that's only going to continue to depreciate.

But hell, I just dropped 4k on mine for various upgrades so who am I to judge lol.

Plasti dip is shit to be honest.. theres a few on here that have done it and looked good but I would NEVER pay someone to dip my car... A quality wrap can be just as pricey as a re paint...

Most "new" LS owners come up with these bright ideas and what they want to do to the car when in most cases its not financially viable to spend more money on paint than what the car is actually worth.

Plasti dip is shit to be honest.. theres a few on here that have done it and looked good but I would NEVER pay someone to dip my car... A quality wrap can be just as pricey as a re paint...

Most "new" LS owners come up with these bright ideas and what they want to do to the car when in most cases its not financially viable to spend more money on paint than what the car is actually worth.

Yeah, I completely agree. It's the same as all the "Engine Swap" threads lol. If you're going to do something, just do it. Talk is cheap.

While I fully appreciate everybody wanting to throw big rims on these cars and install loud stereos - the bottom line is you probably bought the car cheap. It is ABSOLUTELY going to require expensive maintenance in the very near future (hence why it was sold in the first place). Pimping your ride is cool, but this thing is a money pit. If you've got tons of cash, go for it but as we all know, going cheap always costs you double (usually more).

I'd paint other peoples cars for a grand, no problems!

Yeah, I completely agree. It's the same as all the "Engine Swap" threads lol. If you're going to do something, just do it. Talk is cheap.

While I fully appreciate everybody wanting to throw big rims on these cars and install loud stereos - the bottom line is you probably bought the car cheap. It is ABSOLUTELY going to require expensive maintenance in the very near future (hence why it was sold in the first place). Pimping your ride is cool, but this thing is a money pit. If you've got tons of cash, go for it but as we all know, going cheap always costs you double (usually more).

Ill find justification for a 5 grand stereo in my trunk when I only paid $2900 lol... that's it though.

In some trailer parks, they simply 'roll' it on.

Took you guys long enough .......

At the price of a used LS these days for a quality color flip the suggestion of just getting a different car is pretty close to the truth.

For many years, Rolls Royce cars were brush-painted. After coating, the cars were hand-sanded to a perfect thickness and then polished to their final look.

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back